PDA

View Full Version : Help with Discus having white poop

smiley
08-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Hi,

Can you please let me know why one of my discus has a got a long white string poop attached to her. She sits alone (especially near the heater)..Changes color to normal and then again dark brown when someone goes near her. She has been like this for the past 2 weeks now

Aquarium details:60cm x 30cm x 38 cm (l x b x h)
Total Fishes: 5 Discus 4 Angels 1 suckerfish
Water change : 50% everyday
Ph : Maintaining around 6.4 to 6.8
Temperature : 32degree celsius
Feed : Frozen Blood worms

Please find attached pics.

Is this tapeworm? What should i do? Never encountered this issue before. Please let me know the steps to quarantine. Do i need to separate this one from others? Is it contagious

Please help

bettebulldog
08-16-2009, 03:17 PM
looks pretty bad. From what i have learned here you should remove this fish along with any other fish that may appear to have these symptoms into another clean hospital tank. Looks like a combo of things. I do not know what you should treat it with but im sure someone else ccan help with that. No. 1 thing is to isolate this.

roclement
08-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Get it our of your tank now! Other then that, more experienced people can talk to you about the disease but I don't think it will make it, to emanciated...sorry...

Rod

smiley
08-16-2009, 03:27 PM
The condition was really bad but now (especially today) i feel it is recovering as she is more of less her normal colour. only turning brown when tensed. But the string connected of poop is nearly 1 and a half inch and connected to her. So do you think i pull her out?

Any more advises? Increase more temperature? Medicinal Treatment?

bettebulldog
08-16-2009, 03:52 PM
you need to pull her out and treat in a clean bare tank. add extra air temp at 82 and thats alll i can help with. do not treat in main tank. thats gonna be one rough fish if you can save it.

Eddie
08-16-2009, 10:53 PM
I would euthanize that fish, its bad off and even if it recovers, it will still be bad off. No pun intended but the truth.

Eddie

smiley
08-17-2009, 03:04 AM
Thats very sad :( I dont wanna lose it as well

Anyways i have pulled it out into the quarantine tank.Planning to do this,

1. Treating with Metronidazole (aka Metrozol)
2. Treating fin rot
3. Acriflavine if necessary

Any comments on the same?

smiley
08-17-2009, 05:21 AM
Can anyone let me know how to quarantine my tank where the above fish was there..water change shall be done but other than that is there any other way to quarantine or be safe?

I dont want my other fishes to go through the same infection again

Eddie
08-17-2009, 07:37 AM
Can anyone let me know how to quarantine my tank where the above fish was there..water change shall be done but other than that is there any other way to quarantine or be safe?

Hard to say without knowing what was wrong with the fish, it could have been multiple issues such as internal flagellates and internal nematodes.

Do you have a substrate bottom or is it barebottom?

Eddie

bs6749
08-17-2009, 09:01 AM
I would euthanize that fish, its bad off and even if it recovers, it will still be bad off. No pun intended but the truth.

Eddie

I agree that it's best for the fish (all of them) to put this one down. It's too far gone and won't ever be well again. However, you may be able to learn how to properly medicate a sick fish so this could be an opportunity to do that.

Thats very sad :( I dont wanna lose it as well

Anyways i have pulled it out into the quarantine tank.Planning to do this,

1. Treating with Metronidazole (aka Metrozol)
2. Treating fin rot
3. Acriflavine if necessary

Any comments on the same?

If you use metronidazole you should have the temp up to 92 degrees. Add an extra airstone to the tank when you increase the temp. You should try to put the metro in with some frozen bloowworms (thaw them and mix metro with them) and feed as metro works best when taken internally.

I just want to say that this fish was sicker for longer than 2 weeks seeing how emaciated it is. You should have seen it sooner and treated it sooner for the fish to survive. This fish has been this way for a month or more. I know because I've had discus in the same condition when I first started. I didn't know how to treat them and didn't know what they had. Yours most likely has flagellates and nematodes. You can try some medicated flake foods from Kensfish. www.kensfish.com Get the protozoan flake.

smiley
08-18-2009, 06:14 AM
Hard to say without knowing what was wrong with the fish, it could have been multiple issues such as internal flagellates and internal nematodes.

Do you have a substrate bottom or is it barebottom?

Eddie

Have a substrate bottom.

smiley
08-18-2009, 06:20 AM
I agree that it's best for the fish (all of them) to put this one down. It's too far gone and won't ever be well again. However, you may be able to learn how to properly medicate a sick fish so this could be an opportunity to do that.

If you use metronidazole you should have the temp up to 92 degrees. Add an extra airstone to the tank when you increase the temp. You should try to put the metro in with some frozen bloowworms (thaw them and mix metro with them) and feed as metro works best when taken internally.

I just want to say that this fish was sicker for longer than 2 weeks seeing how emaciated it is. You should have seen it sooner and treated it sooner for the fish to survive. This fish has been this way for a month or more. I know because I've had discus in the same condition when I first started. I didn't know how to treat them and didn't know what they had. Yours most likely has flagellates and nematodes. You can try some medicated flake foods from Kensfish. www.kensfish.com Get the protozoan flake.

Thanks for the link. Will try it out

Eddie
08-18-2009, 06:36 AM
Yeah, best to keep it CLEAN. ;)

Eddie

poconogal
08-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Is this fish still even eating because from the eye size, it looks as if it hasn't been eating or eating well for quite awhile. Also, for the health of the rest of your Discus, more variety in the diet is needed, since FBW, while a good food, fed exclusively as you indicated is not very good, nutrionally.

If you are going to treat this poor fish, along with the Metro, use 2 tbsp. of Epsom Salt for the first 2 days of treatment. Epsom salt acts as a laxative and will help to clean out the fish.

I see you do 50% WCs daily. How often do you vacuum your substrate and clean your filter? Judging by the fins, perhaps you need to really deep clean your substrate and increase your WCs too.

HTH and please let us know how its doing.