PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used this???

novice breeder
08-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Hi gang,
Has anyone used this pump: Marineland Maxi-Jet Submersible Utility Pump - 400 to refill their tanks. It also states this :106 GPH, max head height - 26". What do max head height means and how is it important when selecting a pump?

Chad Hughes
08-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Hi gang,
Has anyone used this pump: Marineland Maxi-Jet Submersible Utility Pump - 400 to refill their tanks. It also states this :106 GPH, max head height - 26". What do max head height means and how is it important when selecting a pump?

That is one slow pump. It sounds like a power head to be honest. Maybe best suited for circulation rather than pumping or transferring. When selecting a pump, you have to consider vertical distance also known as "head". If you put the pump in water attach a 6' hose to it. Hold that hose 6' in the air. The head is 6'. In the case of this pump, you can only have 26" of hose in a vertical position before the pump STOPS pumping water.

What is your setup? How many vertical feet do you have and how far are you pumping the water? HTH!

DiscusOnly
08-17-2009, 02:30 PM
How big of a tank are you trying to refill. IMHO, this is not the pump for you because of it's low rating.

This is a suitable pump if you just want to circulate the wanter in your tank. 26" max head isn't really useful for moving water. Look at a higher model quiet one pump.

Here are a few models for you to look at. I have a few 1200 but you many want to consider the 3000 and up.

http://www.petsolutions.com/Quiet-One-Pumps+I88350151+C49.aspx

frenchie100
08-17-2009, 03:16 PM
I have a maxi jet 1200 submersible and only use it to transfer water from one barrel to another. It would be way too slow to refill my tank.

Like what has been said, you would want something much more powerful!

Good luck

Julie :)

novice breeder
08-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the reply. What i am trying to do is pump water from water storage of approx 20 ft away to my tanks. I have pvc 3/4" pipe run up to about 6 ft from the tanks and i use gravity to refill. However as the level falls the rate obvious decreases. What i want to do is to incease the filling rate when the gravity level falls using an inline/ submersible pump. i am looking for an reliable, cheap & efficient pump which can pump up to approx 8ft high.
Any suggestions?:D:D:D

Chad Hughes
08-17-2009, 05:25 PM
I use these (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4587+20170&pcatid=20170) for water transfer. I think the 12 or 17 HF would work well with your setup. I typically side with stronger pumps but that's just me. HTH!