PDA

View Full Version : substrate depth?

rickztahone
08-19-2009, 12:00 AM
just curious what is the optimum substrate depth for plants? or is it one of those things where it depends on type of plant? i currently have swords but would like to keep others as foreground plants. any help is great appreciated. this will be a low-tech tank btw if it makes any difference

Harriett
08-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Depth of substrate does of course have something to do with the type of plant and size they can grow to. For small to moderate sized plants like smaller swords, grasses, many types of crypts, stem plants, etc you can do 2" depth and that will be fine. If you are interested in growing very large swords or the like, you would do well to have a depth of 3.5" or deeper. If you have a deeper substrate at the back of the tank [where your larger plants usually are placed] and then grade sown to a couple 2 inches or so in the front of the tank, you can accomodate most all plants. I have grown 8" common crypt types in a sand substrate of an inch and they still did fine, actually. Roots will fan out laterally if they can't go down, for many plants. You need a substrate that easily holds smaller roots and holds plants in place well.
Best regards,
Harriett

Chad Hughes
08-19-2009, 11:22 AM
I like 3 to 4 inches. It's just easier to secure plants in a deeper substrate.

Cooldadddyfunk286
08-19-2009, 12:15 PM
hey Ricardo, are you turning ur 120 BB into a planted tank? or you got another tank your playin around with??

rickztahone
08-19-2009, 12:50 PM
hey Ricardo, are you turning ur 120 BB into a planted tank? or you got another tank your playin around with??

yeah its about to get converted very shortly. i love BB but at this point im not feeding bh or any other messy food really and the dry foods they eat very quickly so it doesnt foul up the water. so i think its safe to switch over. this would be a low-tech tank however

pcsb23
08-19-2009, 05:45 PM
I like 3 to 4 inches. It's just easier to secure plants in a deeper substrate.me too :)

lemondiscus
08-19-2009, 07:40 PM
I keep 4" in the back and about 2" in the front... I "tuck" the very front down below the bottom trim... I had a bit of an algae problem and it showed inside the substrate on the front glass so I pushed it back a bit so it was not as noticable...

stephcps
08-19-2009, 09:10 PM
I have 2-2.5 inches in all three of my planted tanks...but wish I had 4. Go higher it will make it much easier to secure the plants. I am constanly replanting some of my stems!!

lemondiscus
08-19-2009, 09:38 PM
I have 2-2.5 inches in all three of my planted tanks...but wish I had 4. Go higher it will make it much easier to secure the plants. I am constanly replanting some of my stems!!
I had that problem too with sand alone and 2"... now that I added the pea gravel it helps hold everything including my stubborn driftwood a lot better

H&K.45
08-21-2009, 12:50 AM
Hey rick, I would Highly suggest gradeing it, 3.5 or so in the back down to about 2" in the front...that way you can plant any big boy plants in the back and put your ground cover up front.

rickztahone
08-21-2009, 02:57 AM
thanks for all the advise everyone

David Rose
08-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Good timing with your question Ricardo! I was just thinking the same thing with wanting to set up my 140G as a planted tank. After seeing how beautiful Chad's/"avionics30" tanks are with the challenge, I'm envious and hope I can be half as successful.

Best of luck with your conversion and I'm looking forward to seeing picstures!

rickztahone
08-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Good timing with your question Ricardo! I was just thinking the same thing with wanting to set up my 140G as a planted tank. After seeing how beautiful Chad's/"avionics30" tanks are with the challenge, I'm envious and hope I can be half as successful.

Best of luck with your conversion and I'm looking forward to seeing picstures!

i'm glad the thread helped. i'm still a little daunted by all the things i plan to do on the tank but i have taken small, tiny steps so far to get started. once i get in the "i have to finish this" attitude then i'm good.

TankWatcher
08-23-2009, 08:02 AM
i'm still a little daunted by all the things i plan to do on the tank Do tell, I'd love to hear your plans.

rickztahone
08-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Do tell, I'd love to hear your plans.

well first i am getting started on the retaining wall with a mixture of your 7ft tank and Yass' 30g. so far all i have done is get the actual rocks and i got like 6 tubes of silicone from HD. i have the layout so far but i just haven't had the time to get started on actually place the rocks and use the silicone. secondly, i want to repaint my stand which is a HUGE project. all my fish will have to be in the 55 for at least 3 days (or at least that's how long i think it will take me). hopefully once i'm done even i won't be able to recognize it ;). i'm doing a step by step on the progress so someone else could do it if they like how it turns out. :o

TankWatcher
08-24-2009, 08:50 AM
Looking forward to reading your "step by step". Do you are have a start date yet?

rickztahone
08-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Looking forward to reading your "step by step". Do you are have a start date yet?

i already started with the retaining wall yesterday. i will finish that off during the week and i will get started on the tank stand this coming weekend.

TankWatcher
08-24-2009, 06:30 PM
ok, will watch out for your "step by step". Have fun with it all :)