PDA

View Full Version : Yes I want a Discus Tank...

evallarta1
08-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Hi All :wave:

I have just aquired a 55 gal tank and stand and have always loved looking at Discus so I figured now was the time. After snooping around here for a while I have realized they are a lot of work (and I though salt water was bad). My current setups include a 75 gal reef tank w/30 gal custom sump. And a 55 gal tropical aggressive tank. I have about 18 years of experience with fish so I think I am up to the challenge of discus. Here is my current set up

55 gal tank
fluval 405
85 lbs mixture of eco-complete and gravel (yes this will be a planted tank)

I will be using ro/di mixed with treated tap water for water changes. Currently the tank has been set up for 3 days now. My plan of act will be to get the plants up and established. Then slow adding fish and then adding the discus last. I plan on doing this over about a 2 month period. With saltwater you HAVE to take your time to keep from overloading the bioload. And its sounds like discus is about the same.

Im looking about about 5 adult discus (dont have time to raise them from babies). About 10 - 15 cardinals, 3-4 corys, 1-2 plecos. And MAYBE if things go right 2 rams.

I still have a lot of equipment get, ie heater, light etc. But is there anything else I should take into consideration?

Chad Hughes
08-19-2009, 11:21 AM
What part of the country are you in?

evallarta1
08-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Collinsville IL, just outside St Louis

Cooldadddyfunk286
08-19-2009, 11:59 AM
If possible, try bringing in some adults from one of our sponsors here. I can speak from personal experience that Kenny Cheung (Kennys Discus) and Dan Espinosa (Elite Aquaria) are great sponsors and friends, and some of the best people to do business with, with some of the most beautiful fish you can get. so, take a look at the sponsors section and start picking out ones you like! ;) and read read read, youll literally learn everything you need right here on this one forum :D

good luck! take care!:)

squid_league
08-19-2009, 05:01 PM
I can attest to the recommendation to "read, read, read".

I started the same place you did a few weeks back. I have a 46 gal planted tank that that ran for 4 weeks without fish, then I added 2 rams and 12 neons.

I've put myself in the habit of doing 30% water changes every other day just to get into the routine. The bio-load is pretty small for these little guys in a 46 gal tank, but I want to get used to it. I've had the fish just under a week and they show no signs of stress.

I guess my message is one of encouragement. Things have been going well for me so far. No discus yet, but these rams are doing really well and I was told they are more sensitive than discus. The more experienced people in the forum are a great help.

Keep us posted. I'll be curious to know how other people are succeeding in my situation.

Cheers,
Andy

lkevin
08-19-2009, 07:14 PM
With that much experience you should be fine. When I first got into discus I expected to have lots of problems and to not be very successful, but over the years I have learned that they really aren't that hard to keep as long as you get the basics down. They certainly have some unique requirements, and occasionally can be very particular about things, but thats partly why they are so fun to keep!

If you don't already have one, I would get a digital pH meter. You will want to have a very good handle on pH, and a meter makes things a whole lot easier. The Milwaukee pH600 is a nice little meter that is cheap but effective (get some 7.0 buffer solution while you are at it so you can calibrate often). Hannah is also a great brand.

Best of luck and good idea taking things slow.

Lytehouse
08-19-2009, 07:45 PM
evallarta1,

changing from saltwater to discus?

I raised discus for a long while, then had saltwater reefs until recently. Trying to play the learning curve to get back into Discus. If you can maintain a reef, you can have a Discus tank..... but just like in salt.... read and prep first.

Glad to find someone else on the curve.....

Good luck and have fun.

Hope to see you around here. This is an impressive forum.

mkv
08-19-2009, 08:00 PM
You will not be disappointed. The Discus is my wife's tank and the reef is mine and I have to admit that both are the focus of conversation when we have company. Good luck and stick with the sponsors on this site, well worth the wait if they don't have what you are looking for right away.

evallarta1
08-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Well Im not giving up the reef tank, theres no way. But I think a discus tank looks just as amazing as a reef tank. From reading some posts Im curious if Im going to be over stocking the tank?

akumastew
08-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Well Im not giving up the reef tank, theres no way. But I think a discus tank looks just as amazing as a reef tank. From reading some posts Im curious if Im going to be over stocking the tank?

I believe you want 10-15 gallons of water per Discus.

Daniella
08-21-2009, 02:51 PM
I raised and bread all sort of rams for many years and they were never any trouble.. Now discus are another story completely!

Your best bet is to start with healthy and parasite free discus..then you will be fine. It's when you get discus with internal or external parasites that things go bad and it's hard to keep them healthy without constantly using meds, QT and all that stuff.

Quarantine for any new discus is critical.

I can attest to the recommendation to "read, read, read".

I started the same place you did a few weeks back. I have a 46 gal planted tank that that ran for 4 weeks without fish, then I added 2 rams and 12 neons.

I've put myself in the habit of doing 30% water changes every other day just to get into the routine. The bio-load is pretty small for these little guys in a 46 gal tank, but I want to get used to it. I've had the fish just under a week and they show no signs of stress.

I guess my message is one of encouragement. Things have been going well for me so far. No discus yet, but these rams are doing really well and I was told they are more sensitive than discus. The more experienced people in the forum are a great help.

Keep us posted. I'll be curious to know how other people are succeeding in my situation.

Cheers,
Andy