PDA

View Full Version : Gill FLukes or hypochondriac?

05 LL Stang
08-19-2009, 03:32 PM
All,
First, I am a new discus owner and ran out and purchased without doing my research, my mistake. I picked up 2 Hans Discus from one LFS and 1 from another random LFS as a trade in for my Cichlids.

All seemed to be well except that random fish was TOO aggressive, so I talked with the LFS and they agreed to a trade. When going in they only had 2 discus available, and neither of them excited me, but I wanted the current fish out of my tank so I settled----another mistake----I should have taken store credit.

Well when I got that fish home, a few days later I realized some things, first it was REDICULOUSLY thin, pinched forehead, eyes bigger than they should be etc (Thanks to this site I figured that out). Now to my issues:

New fish has white poop.

One of my Hans will now 'itch' its gills. Swim along, then 'swipe' its gills on things in the tank, plants and logs. I immediately thought gill flukes BUT it doesn't 'sit below the surface and gulp for air.'

What to do? Also know that everything in the tank now eats. They did not eat well for 4 or 5 days last week as had some Ph issues, aging the water seemed to have helped that...

My tank:
46 Gal
Temp is 86
My PH is between 7 and 7.2
nitrates, nitrites and ammonia almost none existant.
Kh is about 3
I have a substrate
50% water change twice a week
Tank mates: Cichlid fry which 'showed up' the day after I shipped off the original cichlids, eggs were laid under a log I have and went unnoticed by me, 2 Catfish, do not know the strain but they are not bothering the discus and 1 new BN.

Thanks
Jeff

Daniella
08-19-2009, 03:48 PM
fish will gill flukes will breath fast, often from one side only keeping the other side shut and will scratch on objects. I had persistant gill fluke problem and never any fish went to breath at the surface because of this.

One thing though, quarantine is a must for any new fish. one month minimum.

All,
First, I am a new discus owner and ran out and purchased without doing my research, my mistake. I picked up 2 Hans Discus from one LFS and 1 from another random LFS as a trade in for my Cichlids.

All seemed to be well except that random fish was TOO aggressive, so I talked with the LFS and they agreed to a trade. When going in they only had 2 discus available, and neither of them excited me, but I wanted the current fish out of my tank so I settled----another mistake----I should have taken store credit.

Well when I got that fish home, a few days later I realized some things, first it was REDICULOUSLY thin, pinched forehead, eyes bigger than they should be etc (Thanks to this site I figured that out). Now to my issues:

New fish has white poop.

One of my Hans will now 'itch' its gills. Swim along, then 'swipe' its gills on things in the tank, plants and logs. I immediately thought gill flukes BUT it doesn't 'sit below the surface and gulp for air.'

What to do? Also know that everything in the tank now eats. They did not eat well for 4 or 5 days last week as had some Ph issues, aging the water seemed to have helped that...

My tank:
46 Gal
Temp is 86
My PH is between 7 and 7.2
nitrates, nitrites and ammonia almost none existant.
Kh is about 3
I have a substrate
50% water change twice a week
Tank mates: Cichlid fry which 'showed up' the day after I shipped off the original cichlids, eggs were laid under a log I have and went unnoticed by me, 2 Catfish, do not know the strain but they are not bothering the discus and 1 new BN.

Thanks
Jeff

Eddie
08-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Sounds to me like internal and external issues.

Eddie

MSD
08-20-2009, 09:41 AM
fish will gill flukes will breath fast, often from one side only keeping the other side shut and will scratch on objects. I had persistant gill fluke problem and never any fish went to breath at the surface because of this.

One thing though, quarantine is a must for any new fish. one month minimum.

You are extrapolating that your fish and experience are typical and everyone else will have the same issue and result. Did you use a microscope to verify that your fish had flukes? You must be very careful if you are giving information and/or help to others. Most that do that have years of experience and many fish studied to give a well rounded answer.

There really should be a caution will all low time keepers to Indicate the information on a one or two tank home system as atypical, like on medicines where the announce results are not typical and just a one case study. Can you imagine if the FDA tested drugs on one person and release treatments based on this small scale assesment. Al, Eddie, Graham and others have a lot of experience and they all issue disclaimers of sorts that their help has worked for them in the past, but others take their chances which is why all the suggestions don't always work. Common sense I know, but newbs are desperate and will try what they think those in the know suggest.

Daniella
08-20-2009, 11:52 AM
YES

Did you use a microscope to verify that your fish had flukes?

ifixoldhouses
09-06-2009, 04:57 PM
what's it mean when they swim against the bottom to brush their gills?

Eddie
09-06-2009, 07:02 PM
what's it mean when they swim against the bottom to brush their gills?

That means the fish literally turn side ways and sort of brush their sides on the tank floor. Sort of a darting motion. They do this against anything in the tank when there is something bothering them.

Eddie

ifixoldhouses
09-07-2009, 03:05 PM
I see my fry doing that is why I asked.

Eddie
09-07-2009, 05:48 PM
I see my fry doing that is why I asked.

Could be the water......what are your water parameters? Do they stay the same over 24 hours?

Eddie