PDA

View Full Version : BIG possibilities.

Diskboy12
08-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Ok, so I am jumping back here for a while, as I always do.:pI am possibly getting a 240 gallon long tank (96x24x25), and I want to keep my options open on stocking, but I may make this a discus tank...how does that sound for big?:bandana:

-Kevin

Darrell Ward
08-19-2009, 09:12 PM
That's cool. I also have a 240. Mine is 72"x 24"x 31". This is a very old picture. The sand has long been removed from this tank, (the sand was left over from when it had live plants before this picture) and more discus have been added from other tanks. It now has 27 discus in it.

Jhhnn
08-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Definitely big enough, that's for sure.

I'd probably open my wallet wide and stock it with a big school of Forrest's turqs or snakeskins from Kenny... might even pay him up front to order 'em for me... I'm kinda old skool in that I prefer having one variety in a tank- it just seems more natural, even in a bare tank...

Darrell Ward
08-20-2009, 12:50 AM
Definitely big enough, that's for sure.

I'd probably open my wallet wide and stock it with a big school of Forrest's turqs or snakeskins from Kenny... might even pay him up front to order 'em for me... I'm kinda old skool in that I prefer having one variety in a tank- it just seems more natural, even in a bare tank...

I prefer one variety in a tank as well, but it seems I always need to move fish to another tank to make room for other fish. Hopefully, when the new fishroom is finished, I can have more room to be better organized. I have tanks all over the house!

Scribbles
08-20-2009, 02:26 AM
Get it and post pics!

Chris

Diskboy12
08-20-2009, 02:01 PM
The only downfall of this project is I prob won't begin untill Christmas time. I hae to somehow convince mother to let me get it. It will be the only tank I will have after I get it though as I am either selling the 55 or turning it into a sump, and I am selling my 20 gallon. Mom complains enough with electricity so I need to cut back on it. The filtration on this mother is gunna be more than what I am running on my tanks now. I'm not really sure what I want to keep in it yet. Weather I want a huge school of like 20-24 Discus, a nice big school of Tropheus, or very large fish like a Silver Arowana, Peacock Bass, Stingrays, ect. I am not sure yet, but I am trying to keep an open mind to any ideas. I do have a few color varieties of Discus in mind though if I go this route (Diamond Eruption, Spotted Eruption, LSS, Wild Browns, Albino BD, White Diamonds, and a few others.) More ideas anyone?

Scribbles
08-20-2009, 02:10 PM
I would get the tank and fill it with discus. Can you throw mom a few bucks a month to help with the electricity bill?

Chris

tcyiu
08-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Electricity is definitely going to be an issue with a large tank.

From your sig, I presume you've been successful keeping bluegills. Any thoughts to having a school of those? At least heating is not going to be as big a concern.

BTW, since they are a "gamefish" they're illegal here in California. Otherwise, I'd sure like to try my hand at keep them. What's the status in NY?

Tim

Diskboy12
08-20-2009, 08:05 PM
If you have afishing license and they are over 5" I believe, they are legal to catch an keep. I used to have 3 Bluegill and 2 Large mouth Bass, but the bass grew to large for the 55 and so I put them in the garden pond. I did think of giving mom some money like $50 a month for electricity. Any more ideas of howto persuade and stocking ideas?

Kevin

Scribbles
08-20-2009, 09:01 PM
You could show your mom pictures of discus aquariums to show her how beautiful it would make the room. Does she like fish? Maybe let her have some input on what you stock.

Chris

tcyiu
08-21-2009, 12:14 AM
If you have afishing license and they are over 5" I believe, they are legal to catch an keep.

Cool. Unfortunately, CA has different regulations. Bluegills are really neat.

Tim

Daniella
08-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Sounds good as long as you get enough discus of large enough size. 4 inches or more. Small discus will be lost and scared in such large aquarium.

Larger discus are much less trouble anyway :)

Also think about where you will put it as 240 gallon is probably over 1000 lbs. The floor need to be rock solid.

Hope you have a good budget because this is going to be expensive in fish.

Ok, so I am jumping back here for a while, as I always do.:pI am possibly getting a 240 gallon long tank (96x24x25), and I want to keep my options open on stocking, but I may make this a discus tank...how does that sound for big?:bandana:

-Kevin

Diskboy12
08-21-2009, 09:33 PM
Yeah, it's on the ground floor and it's a brand new house, so should be alright. (steel framing underneath house). I do plan on buying adults if I go the route of discus, for the reason of not having the trouble of 50% everyday....that would be horrible. I am getting a job so I think I should have the money thing down. If I go disuc I will prob get like 8 not so expensive adults (PB, BD) to keep it cycled and have something in there then buy a few of the more expensive at time or sav till I have like $500 then buy like 4-5 adults until I feel I am stocked. If I go discus I also plan on getting like 100+ Cardinals, 18+ rams and like 12 Bussy nose plecs, or maybe some fancier plecs. I may even go planted...but seeing as this would be the first panted tank not so sure if I want to go this route...ideas/opinions?

Diskboy12
08-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Any more input guys? What types I could look at, I have not been around discus in a few years, so I NO idea what new strains are floating around. What are the more expensive rare strains. Maybe I could get my hands on some.

Kevin

Discus-Hans
08-24-2009, 12:00 AM
Any more input guys? What types I could look at, I have not been around discus in a few years, so I NO idea what new strains are floating around. What are the more expensive rare strains. Maybe I could get my hands on some.

Kevin

Kevin,

I think it's better to put in your tank what you like, not what's expensive or rare. But if you really want I've some adult brilliants for $800.00/each, expensive and very rare (with rare I mean that I get $800.00 for an adult Brilliant :D ) I promise you, you will be "rare" and expensive with your $800.00 Brilliants :angel:

Hans

jaykne
08-24-2009, 02:19 AM
I would go look at Kenny's Discus, albinos are really hot right now, that would really be cool a 240gal full of different kinds of albinos. Every month Kenny has lots of albinos, add 6 every month, never have to worry about them getting dark or peppering and still get the colors. I say Kenny because as far as I am concerned best out there and he will take care of you, and you will always have the best quality. Go and look at the last 4 or 5 shippments he has got in and look at the fish, right now he has some Albino Red Golden Diamonds coming in that I would love to get my hands on if I had tank space, and allot of others. You should call and talk to him fill that tank up with his fish and you won't be sorry. Larry

Diskboy12
08-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Kevin,

I think it's better to put in your tank what you like, not what's expensive or rare. But if you really want I've some adult brilliants for $800.00/each, expensive and very rare (with rare I mean that I get $800.00 for an adult Brilliant :D ) I promise you, you will be "rare" and expensive with your $800.00 Brilliants :angel:

Hans

Well, it's not so much what people want me to have as it is, I want to have a dream tank thateveryone will be envious of. I want people to be jelous when they walk in and see expensive gorgeous fish swimming around...I don't come from money, and so I try and outdo people in certain aspects of my life, and fish being one of them. For example I have a $175 Red Dragon Flowerhorn swimming around at the moment. I will sell him unfortunatly when I get this bigger tank, but it will give me some more dough to buy discus or others with. If I can get $800 together...you bet my butt I will be buying at least one from you Hans,.....a pair..may be to pricey, but atleast one. Hahaha.

Have a good one.
Kevin;)

Disgirl
08-25-2009, 01:30 PM
Are you looking to make friends or enemies in life? To me, friends are much more important than a tank full of fish, no matter what kind, how fancy or expensive. Just something to think on...
Barb

Diskboy12
08-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Hahah, I didn't mean that to come off in a jerkish way, I just want to have a tank full of beautiful fish that people love. I am not out to make enemies out of anyone. This is just a gift to myself, as I have had a rough past couple of years in my house with the whole issue of money being the standpoint. I want this to be proof to myself that I can have nice fish and tank that friends and family, and strangers love.

Sorry if I came off offensive.
Kevin

Disgirl
08-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Well, OK then. Just plan on a lot of work, and money and patience and tons of learning in order to have that big and beautiful tank of fish you are planning on. Read much here at SD and ask questions. There are lots of very experienced people here to help you. Too many new discus keepers are not taking advantage of all the info and help offered here. Yes, there are many ways to accomplish the same goals but there is a standard of care that most successful discus keepers follow. And it works if you do it right. So, good luck with your fishkeeping and do it for the enjoyment you will get out of it. If others enjoy it too then you are really a lucky young man. Don't brag and gloat, just be happy and polite and humble about your lovely tank. Keep us posted about it.
Barb (who is a mom and can talk and think like a mom :D)

Diskboy12
08-28-2009, 11:00 PM
I have had discus in the past, but failed horribly, I hope if I do go the route of discus with this tank that I will have you all to help me keep my discus happy and healthy. Still need to get a job to pay for most of it and convince mother into letting me get it. here are a few questions I could use answers for

1.) How many discus could I keep in here?
2.) What size should I get them at?

any other advice is welcome, and ways to convince mother..haha

Kevin

Scribbles
08-28-2009, 11:41 PM
In a large tank sub-adults or adults do better than juvies. The general max stocking level is 1 adult discus per 10 gallons. Personally I would get all of the discus at one time from the same supplier if possible. This will cost plenty. Keep in mind that even when you do everything right things can go wrong. Not trying to put a damper on anything, just trying to put things in perspective. Whatever you choose make sure that it is something that you will enjoy and take pride in. Something else to keep in mind is that people will put more stock in your character and your actions than in what you stock in your aquarium.

Chris

Disgirl
08-29-2009, 09:00 AM
ways to convince mother

Well, get a job to pay for your fish keeping hobby, she should not have to pay for this, and be a good, helpful and kind son. Save up for some adult discus and definitely get them all from the same hatchery. Mixing discus from different places these days is way too dangerous.
Barb :)