PDA

View Full Version : White feces

marfa59
08-20-2009, 11:21 AM
I have a discus that has white feces, not eating, was hiding and dark in color. I started treating with metro and after finishing the first round still had white feces. I started a second round of meds and have one day left. The discus still has white feces and is still not eating but the color is back to normal and is swimming around. Not sure what to do next.
Any advice?
Connie

Eddie
08-20-2009, 11:29 AM
I have a discus that has white feces, not eating, was hiding and dark in color. I started treating with metro and after finishing the first round still had white feces. I started a second round of meds and have one day left. The discus still has white feces and is still not eating but the color is back to normal and is swimming around. Not sure what to do next.
Any advice?
Connie

So how many days total? How much did you use?

Eddie

marfa59
08-20-2009, 11:45 AM
I moved it to a 20 gal tank and used 100 mg of metro for 5 days as per instructions on meds purchased through a breeder. I repeated treatment when symptoms persisted and have just finished my 9th day.

Eddie
08-20-2009, 11:55 AM
I moved it to a 20 gal tank and used 100 mg of metro for 5 days as per instructions on meds purchased through a breeder. I repeated treatment when symptoms persisted and have just finished my 9th day.

That amount of metro is too low. Generally, I would use 500 mg per 10 gallons of water. Treat the tank in the morning with 25-50% water change before dosing. Then in the evening, do another 25-50% water change and dose again. This would be twice daily doses and some even do 3 times, but that is not always possible. Do this routing for 5-7 days depending on the fishes improvement. Since you already started treating and have done so for several days, you may be good with 5 days of this routine.

HTH

Eddie

namasgt
08-20-2009, 11:59 AM

Its 100 mg per 10 gallons (if Im wrong please correct me).
I would do 300 mg for that 20 gallon, then change half of the water after 24 hours and redouse with 200 mg. continue until your discus starts eating. when it does, mix the metro in her/his food and feed.

Eddie
08-20-2009, 12:05 PM
I would do 300 mg for that 20 gallon, then change half of the water after 24 hours and redouse with 200 mg. continue until your discus starts eating. when it does, mix the metro in her/his food and feed.

500 mg per 10 gallons

rickztahone
08-20-2009, 12:12 PM

like Eddie said, 500mg/10g is what most use around here with no ill effects (me included). i read about someone using 600mg/10g with no problems either. it is said that the high heat (93F) helps with the elimination of flagellates but i have also been told that high heat is not necessary so take that with a grain of salt...and speaking of salt, it's always good practice to use 2tsp/10g of Epsom Salt. it helps ease the discus and might help them expel some nasty stuff

HTH

namasgt
08-20-2009, 12:14 PM
500 mg per 10 gallons

Hi Eddie

I used "seachem Metronidazol", I just cant remember the dosage.

do you guys use metro that has been mixed with salt ?

Eddie
08-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Hi Eddie

100% pure lab grade ;)

roclement
08-20-2009, 12:16 PM
what do you feed your fish? Are they eating? Any other signs of disease other then the feeces? Did you loose any fish?

Rod

rickztahone
08-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Hi Eddie

i would drop that seachem Metro fast! i remember i was going through one tube everyday when i was treating. go to Jehmco and buy from them. you get A LOT for like 20 dollars or so. you really can't beat that price and it will last you at least 12 days, i know, i've done it.

marlon010
08-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Hey Eddie

Can you post a link to where you buy it or what that metro bottle looks like?

Thanks

rickztahone
08-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Hey Eddie

Can you post a link to where you buy it or what that metro bottle looks like?

Thanks

http://www.jehmco.com/html/medications.html
There you go. i got the 100g which is only $14+ship.

namasgt
08-20-2009, 12:30 PM
100% pure lab grade ;)

here is a link to what I used for my red scribbles;

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Metronidazole.html

this stuff is very strong. I dosed about 300 mg for every 10 gallon, the fish were is 40 gallons of water, they reacted to it. one of them lost all her color and became compeletly white with in a couple of hours, then she started swiming left and right coliding with objects in the tank like she was blind. I end up doing a 100 % water change every 2 hours to save her.

I end up going with the instructions on the bottle and then for every 20 gallons I added another 100 mg it worked great and the fish start eating on the 3rd day of treatment.

So please if anyone is using this seachem stuff be carefull.

namasgt
08-20-2009, 12:33 PM
i would drop that seachem Metro fast! i remember i was going through one tube everyday when i was treating. go to Jehmco and buy from them. you get A LOT for like 20 dollars or so. you really can't beat that price and it will last you at least 12 days, i know, i've done it.

yah, I was going to, but my broblems went away and thank god I didnt have to deal with Hex again, its very frustrating specialy if you have juvies.

but Im kinda surprised, did you dose the seachem according to its instructions or did you use the 500 mg/10 gallon method ?

Eddie
08-20-2009, 12:33 PM
here is a link to what I used for my red scribbles;

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Metronidazole.html

this stuff is very strong. I dosed about 300 mg for every 10 gallon, the fish were is 40 gallons of water, they reacted to it. one of them lost all her color and became compeletly white with in a couple of hours, then she started swiming left and right coliding with objects in the tank like she was blind. I end up doing a 100 % water change every 2 hours to save her.

I end up going with the instructions on the bottle and then for every 20 gallons I added another 100 mg it worked great and the fish start eating on the 3rd day of treatment.

So please if anyone is using this seachem stuff be carefull.

What, that must not have been metro. Its extremely difficult to overdose, and rare.

Eddie

Eddie
08-20-2009, 12:37 PM
yah, I was going to, but my broblems went away and thank god I didnt have to deal with Hex again, its very frustrating specialy if you have juvies.

but Im kinda surprised, did you dose the seachem according to its instructions or did you use the 500 mg/10 gallon method ?

Most "commercial" metro medications recommend 125mg per 10 gallons. That has LONG LONG been changed. ;)

Eddie

marfa59
08-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks everyone.
Will change treatment today. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Love these fish, don't want anything to happen to them. I've only been keeping Discus (or any aquarium) for 3 months and have not lost one yet. I don't want to start now.
Connie

Eddie
08-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks everyone.
Will change treatment today. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Love these fish, don't want anything to happen to them. I've only been keeping Discus (or any aquarium) for 3 months and have not lost one yet. I don't want to start now.
Connie

For sure! Sounds like the fish is getting better but just might need that little extra to get it set on track. As Ricardo mentioned, adding a tbsp of Epsom salt per 10 gallons won't hurt anything either. It will help to clean out the fish.

Take care,

Eddie

marfa59
08-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Rod,
I feed Omega One Super Color Pellets in the morning and Frozen Bloodworms in the evening. This is the only one that's not eating and so far I have never lost a discus. They are all healthy and happy.
Connie

namasgt
08-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Most "commercial" metro medications recommend 125mg per 10 gallons. That has LONG LONG been changed. ;)

Eddie

Okay,
you guys really got me thinking when you recomended 500 mg/10 gallon. I have no Idea what happened that night, that seachem stuff really messed up one of my red scribbles after that night.
If I ever get this problem again coming back to the hobby, Ill buy what you guys recommend.

Good Luck on your treatment Connie.

marfa59
08-26-2009, 06:30 AM
I've finished treatment and haven't seen any white feces since day before yesterday. I haven't seen any dark feces either but my discus is not eating. His color is much better and swimming around alot but hasn't eaten. I haven't seen any dark feces either but I think that's because he's not eating. Should I go ahead and return him to the tank with the others to see if he will start eating there?
Connie

Eddie
08-26-2009, 06:36 AM
Any way you can keep him in the tank by himself, keep the tank temp up and get him eating first? Hate for the fish to have a relapse. I have had fish still not eat in the QT and finally only eat once they were returned to the main tank so its a decision thats best left up to you. ;)

Eddie

marfa59
08-26-2009, 06:55 AM
No problem at all keeping him in QT tank. I just didn't know which was best. I was just worried that he hasn't eaten in so long. So I should keep him there until his eats then put him back? Thanks so much, you have been a big help to me.

Eddie
08-26-2009, 07:40 AM
You can try it, keep him in there and see if you can get him to eat again. ;) If he doesn't eat in a few days, being in the group sometimes helps to get them eating again.

Best of luck,

Eddie