PDA

View Full Version : Temperature question

henpecked
08-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Recently, the heater on my 75g broke. I replaced it with a Fluval 300. Problem is, the temp tops out at 80 instead of the 84-86 I used to keep it at.
The fish have adapted with no obvious problems.

Can I keep it at 80 or should I add another heater to raise it? What effect does temp have on discus?

Thanks for your help:)

hedut
08-20-2009, 08:26 PM
I keep my Juv between 86F to 89F(in side the tank) cause I'm introducing them with BF and the ok with it:D:D:D.

hendri

Scribbles
08-20-2009, 08:56 PM
I keep adults at 82 and juvies at 86. Sounds like you need a second heater. What is the room temp that your tank is in? If it were me I would get 2 250 watt heaters unless the room is kept very warm. Regardless 2 heaters are better than 1.

Chris

Eddie
08-21-2009, 12:35 AM
Recently, the heater on my 75g broke. I replaced it with a Fluval 300. Problem is, the temp tops out at 80 instead of the 84-86 I used to keep it at.
The fish have adapted with no obvious problems.

Can I keep it at 80 or should I add another heater to raise it? What effect does temp have on discus?

Thanks for your help:)

80 is too cold IMO, for adults I'd keep them at 82F.

Eddie

poconogal
08-21-2009, 09:12 AM
80 is a bit too low IMO. 82 would be the lowest I'd keep them, my tank's at 84. If kept in water that's too cool, they eventually become sick.

Jhhnn
08-21-2009, 10:47 AM
300W should be entirely adequate for a 75 gal tank. If the heater cycles on/off at too low a temp when the dial is set to maximum, it wasn't properly calibrated at the factory and should be exchanged or recalibrated. Dunno if recalibration is possible on fluvals like it is with jagers.

If the heater just stays on but the temp won't come up to the setpoint, then yeh, it's too small, but that seems unlikely...

I don't have enough experience to say what effect prolonged low temps might have on discus, but the generally accepted range seems to be 84-86F. Some keep juvies a little warmer than that.

bs6749
08-21-2009, 12:20 PM
I agree that 80 is too low. I like 84 for my adults and 86+ for juvies.

scottthomas
08-22-2009, 03:34 PM
I use two heaters in all my tanks in case one fails. However, almost always only one heater comes on and the other never or rarely turns on. I have found that it is almost impossible to get two heaters to start at the same time unless you have some type of temp controller. I would advise if your heater is not functioning properly get a new one. 300 watts should be plenty for a 75 gal. But if you add a second heater one of them will probably rarely turn on and they wont really work together to heat your tank. IME. Hope I made sense lol.

Scott

Jhhnn
08-22-2009, 06:33 PM
That makes sense entirely, Scott. The heater with the higher setpoint will do the vast majority of the work, while the one with the lower setpoint will only come on if the other can't keep up.

Years ago, (I'm going to date myself) in the 70's, experienced aquarists would series-wire 2 heaters using a specially wired outlet box. Submersible heaters were still terribly expensive, so we mostly used Danner Supreme Heetmasters, basic hob heaters. They all used the same simple bimetal controller regardless of wattage. They were notorious for sticking on when they got old- the points would oxidize, kinda weld themselves together... and cook your fish if you weren't alert or around at the time.

In that scenario, the heater with the lower setpoint did the controlling. People would deliberately set a spread of a few degrees between the heaters, so that if the temp jumped up, it meant that the master heater was sticking...

I'm sure that would work with many of today's heaters, provided they have the same type of controller... it won't work, of course, if they're electronically controlled as the voltage would be wrong...

Disgirl
08-22-2009, 07:22 PM
They were notorious for sticking on when they got old- the points would oxidize, kinda weld themselves together... and cook your fish if you weren't alert or around at the time.

My gosh, you just reminded me of when one of the old type heaters I had got stuck "on" and boiled a whole tank of beautiful tetras before I saw what had happened. I was sick for days about it! Glad the new heaters are so reliable. I have a new Rena Smart heater on my discus tank and it stays right at the setting.
Barb :)

Darrell Ward
08-22-2009, 07:31 PM
They were notorious for sticking on when they got old- the points would oxidize, kinda weld themselves together... and cook your fish if you weren't alert or around at the time.

My gosh, you just reminded me of when one of the old type heaters I had got stuck "on" and boiled a whole tank of beautiful tetras before I saw what had happened. I was sick for days about it! Glad the new heaters are so reliable. I have a new Rena Smart heater on my discus tank and it stays right at the setting.
Barb :)

Today's heaters are better than the older hang on models I had as a kid, but they are by no means perfect. They still fail all the time. This is the reason I use external controllers, for extra insurance. :)

Islesfan
08-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Years ago, (I'm going to date myself) in the 70's, experienced aquarists would series-wire 2 heaters using a specially wired outlet box. Submersible heaters were still terribly expensive, so we mostly used Danner Supreme Heetmasters, basic hob heaters. They all used the same simple bimetal controller regardless of wattage. They were notorious for sticking on when they got old- the points would oxidize, kinda weld themselves together... and cook your fish if you weren't alert or around at the time.

Ah, the good old days, Supreme heetmasters. I think everyone who used them cooked a tank or two.:o

rickztahone
08-23-2009, 03:11 PM
quick question for those that never go below 84F. do any of you have plants? if so then how do they thrive in such warm water?

Darrell Ward
08-23-2009, 04:49 PM
quick question for those that never go below 84F. do any of you have plants? if so then how do they thrive in such warm water?

I don't have plants anymore, but when I did, I kept Amazon Swords in a 240 gal. They grew to be giants in there, and out the top of the tank in 84 degree water. I think it really depends on the species if they will grow in warm water or not.

rickztahone
08-24-2009, 01:41 AM
I don't have plants anymore, but when I did, I kept Amazon Swords in a 240 gal. They grew to be giants in there, and out the top of the tank in 84 degree water. I think it really depends on the species if they will grow in warm water or not.

thanks Darrell. i have only amazons and i see a few don't do that well in the warmer water. hopefully once i take them out of the pots they will be better off and grow more and stay healthy

lemondiscus
08-25-2009, 08:44 AM
I keep a planted tank @ 86... I HAVE had times for extended periods I have brought the heat up to 88 (illnesses)... I have had no trouble with the following plants in any of the heat:

Amazon Sword - THRIVES in the warmer water!
Chain Sword - It does not grow to its potential though IMO
Cabomba (ONLY the Purple) - The other varieties dont seem to do so well but the purple WONT stop growing
Stargrass - Its a freaking weed! Stay away from it UNLESS you want a quick green tank
Crypt - again I dont thing it grows to its full potential in the warmer waters but it DOES live.. not thrive
Java Fern - This worked for me when I was a low light tank.... it DOES NOT live in the high lighting I keep now (2.3 WPG on a 125 gallon)

Anachris will die.... FAST ( < 2 weeks )
Hornwart will die.... slower but I have at best got 1 month out of it
Java Moss - I dont know what it was but I have NEVER got this stuff to live... I think its me though...
Corkscrew Val - Now I put this in and it lives, even reproduces... but the leaves dont get much taller than 4" and they should be 8".... again I think this is my setup.... I have not tried other Val though

Also the WORST part of the heat is it seems IME that it brings on Algae outbreaks MUCH easier especially with higher lighting on the tank... Blue Green Algae (not green water but the slime) seems to be the bane of my existence... and heaven forbid you get an planted infected with Black Beard Algae... that stuff WONT go away... (I have been fighting BBA for almost a year in my display tank with 3 breakdowns to clean it in the past year... and I THINK I am starting to win... maybe... lol )

Hope that helps... It is my experience with plants in the warmer water and it will vary from tank to tank depending on other water parameters and general care of the one tending the tank. I have seen success with plants I cant keep in the warmer water... it is trial and error... thats the way I have seen it..

Dont let Discus scare you from a planted tank... BUT be careful about overplanting as you get crud that is hard to get out in the most densely planted areas in your tank that will spoil your water fast if you are not diligent in getting to those areas...

Also IMO you SHOULD NOT keep a planted tank (maybe a FEW plants) with younger Discus... it should be for adults ONLY!

discusjoe27
08-30-2009, 04:56 PM
I keep my Juv between 86F to 89F(in side the tank) cause I'm introducing them with BF and the ok with it:D:D:D.

hendri

what's bf? did you mean to say Bf heart? or bf = bare floor?