PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma?

TheAquaNoob
08-24-2009, 09:25 PM
So I'm having a self issue.... My discus are starting to show some mating habits, good sign. Well I have been thinking about getting 2-4 more fish...darn addictive hobby. So my perdicament is, do I drop a few $$$ for new fish, or, do I drop a few $$$ and try to raise some fry.

Anyone have any cost analysis as to how much breeding can run down a guy's wallet. Headache and heartache aside.

My raising theory was to setup my 55 for a breeder/growout, and select the 2-4 best looking to keep, and cull/give away the rest.

Thoughts, imput, suggestions, gripes, complaints, are all welcome so fire away.

Thanks in advance, Ryan

mmorris
08-24-2009, 10:57 PM
do I drop a few $$$ for new fish, or, do I drop a few $$$ and try to raise some fry.

Anyone have any cost analysis as to how much breeding can run down a guy's wallet. My raising theory was to setup my 55 for a breeder/growout, and select the 2-4 best looking to keep, and cull/give away the rest.

This might prove useful for starters: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=73127
I try not to think about the money I have spent. In fact, I do a pretty good job not thinking about the money I have spent. I think you might be selling yourself short; your fry might turn out gorgeous and you can sell them rather than cull them or give them away.

TheAquaNoob
08-24-2009, 11:43 PM
Truth be told, I have read that thread many a time. Going back and forth on weather or not it would be worth trying. As for selling it has been said here all to often that the most an amateur breeder can hope for is break evens. I was hoping for just a bit of confirmation about costs. The power bill is not so much the issue as the 55 would get setup as a growout either way (buying juvie fish). Basicaly is there much added cost to rearing your own fry vs. growing out young 2"-3" store boughts?

mmorris
08-25-2009, 01:43 PM
No, not really, IMO. You'll need a jar of bbs eggs and some sort of hatch set-up. You'll be using more power and water. You'll easily make that back if you have a decent sized batch and successfully raise them out.