PDA

View Full Version : How many watts for heating?

DiscusKeeper403
08-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Hi all,

It is getting cold at night in my area with fall coming, and the heating hasn't been turned on yet in my building (right now it's probably only 10C in my apartment.) I am worried as my new tank is sitting around 27 or 28C when it should be 30C (set to 30C.) Its a 40 breeder and I have 300 watts of heating in the tank which I thought would for sure be enough, but it doesn't seem to be!! Should I get bigger heaters? Suggestions?

tcyiu
08-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Perhaps the calibration of the heater or the thermometer is off?

The difference between 30deg and 10deg is pretty huge. There's going be a lot of heat loss. You might also try to insulate the tank at night. You know, a comfy quilt. Think of it as tucking in your fish before you go to bed. :-)

Perhaps a few dollars in sheet foam cut to the size of your tank might be the ticket.

Tim

DiscusKeeper403
08-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the advice. Calibration shouldn't be off, because I have already had it up to 30C. Nothing has changed but the weather (sadly :( lol)

Chad Hughes
08-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Is the heater turning off even though the temperature indicates the water is still cool? If the heater runs non stop and you are not reaching your set temperature, then the heater is BAD. Get another.

If the heater shuts off and comes on, then the thermostat is working but, as mentioed before, could use an adjustment to get you where you need to be. If you are using a digital thermometer to check the temperature of the tank, I highly recommend getting a standard glass thermometer to verify the true temp of the tank. Digitals CAN fail. It's happened to me.

Hope that helps!

DiscusKeeper403
08-25-2009, 07:34 PM
I am not sure if the heater is coming on or off, like I said, it has been at 30C. It's still 27C right now, the house is warmer as it's only really cold at night. I have two 150W one stealth (which has no light) and one Jager. The Jager is coming on and off, but it looks like there is some condensation inside the heater, probably time for a new one? I don't use digital thermometers.

Jhhnn
08-25-2009, 07:44 PM
I highly recommend the stick-on lcd thermos from jehmco. The precision manufacturing makes 'em very consistent, and very accurate if you recognize their limitations. At worst, they'll read a couple of degrees low in a very cool room...

http://www.jehmco.com/html/thermometers.html

300w should be entirely adequate, and the insul-board helps anytime the room temp is under the tank temp. I use the 1/2" foil covered cyanoacrylate stuff from home despot w/ good results...

If there's really condensation in the jager, pitch it for a new one of 200-250w, or a Rena, and pitch the stealth, anyway, on general principles...

bradp
08-25-2009, 08:54 PM
I would recommend a temperature controller. I had the worst time with aquarium heaters until I purchased a controller. You can buy the temprature controller with one outlet and just plug a plug strip into it for multiple heater configurations. Just set the temperature on the controller, set the temperature gradient to 1 degree, and turn your aquarium heater(s) to their highest setting.

http://www.jehmco.com/html/temperature_controller.html

Jehmco also sells titanium heaters as well for use with their temperature controllers.

DiscusKeeper403
08-25-2009, 10:03 PM
Just curious why pitch the stealth? I have heard mostly good things about them. Also, the tank is at 30C right now and has been for the last couple hours. I think I will need to some how insulate the tank at night.

Eddie
08-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Stealths suck, you can either keep the Jager or get a new one. They are the most dependable IMO. Others will disagree but who cares. :D

Eddie

DiscusKeeper403
08-25-2009, 11:56 PM
Stealths suck, you can either keep the Jager or get a new one. They are the most dependable IMO. Others will disagree but who cares. :D

Eddie

Lol. Sounds good. I will probably end up getting two new 150W heaters.

bs6749
08-26-2009, 12:33 AM
I highly recommend Stealth heaters. The only bad thing I've had happen to them is them turn off when chaning the water. They have a feature that automatically shuts the heater off when they are out of the water for some time. Personally, I prefer Stealths over the newer Jagers. The old Ebo Jagers were bulletproof but the new ones seem to be far less reliable according to many.

My 250W Stealth heater has no problem taking my 55g tank up to 92 degrees by the way. I've seen it at 96 before! It was pretty warm outside during that time when I found it at 96. In the winter was when I saw it at 92.

Darrell Ward
08-26-2009, 12:36 AM
Hi all,

It is getting cold at night in my area with fall coming, and the heating hasn't been turned on yet in my building (right now it's probably only 10C in my apartment.) I am worried as my new tank is sitting around 27 or 28C when it should be 30C (set to 30C.) Its a 40 breeder and I have 300 watts of heating in the tank which I thought would for sure be enough, but it doesn't seem to be!! Should I get bigger heaters? Suggestions?

Since it's colder in your building now, it takes more watts to get your tank to the desired temperature quickly. The more heat you need, the more watts you need for the same tank. It really simple, you need to have a warmer building, or a more powerful heater, as it is not powerful enough to keep your tank at an even temp when the air is cooler. The heating element in the heater could be going bad, and it may not be converting all 300 watts to heat, which is why it wasn't noticed until the building was cooler.

Eddie
08-26-2009, 12:49 AM
Lol. Sounds good. I will probably end up getting two new 150W heaters.

Anyone who has owned the stealths for more than a month will tell you they blow.

Get yourself 2 each 200 watt Jagers and you'll never need another heater ever. You won't regret it.

All the best Connor,

Eddie

ikevi
08-26-2009, 01:28 AM
Anyone who has owned the stealths for more than a month will tell you they blow.

Well I have at least 10 and never had a problem with them so far (3+ years). I have had problems with other heaters though. Any brand will have bad heaters.

Eddie
08-26-2009, 04:28 AM
Well I have at least 10 and never had a problem with them so far (3+ years). I have had problems with other heaters though. Any brand will have bad heaters.

Thats great kev, good to know but I'll stick to the dependable Jagers. ;)

Eddie

mmorris
08-26-2009, 08:01 AM
I like the stealths. :) I wrap my tanks in reflectix. I keep the back, bottom and one or two sides (depending on tank) covered. I stick on the front (or front and side) piece at night and when I am away during the day with velcro if it's cool. I put a piece across the top, too, under the light when the light is off, of course.

Jhhnn
08-26-2009, 10:02 AM
I probably shouldn't have maligned the stealth heaters- I realize many use 'em and like 'em. My recent adventures wrt used aquaria kinda set me against 'em, as the few that came into my possession either didn't work or did so erratically. I doubt it's a representative sample, and I really don't know the age or lack of care they received, either...

I do prefer heaters w/ a pilot light, which may not be entirely rational, and my experience with the green jagers years ago led me to the new blue ones, which have worked fine so far...

bs6749
08-26-2009, 01:13 PM
I like the stealths. :) I wrap my tanks in reflectix. I keep the back, bottom and one or two sides (depending on tank) covered. I stick on the front (or front and side) piece at night and when I am away during the day with velcro if it's cool. I put a piece across the top, too, under the light when the light is off, of course.

I like the Stealth heaters as well and have had them for over 2 years. But since we don't agree with Eddie, we are "nobodys" because ANYONE who is SOMEONE will tell you that Stealth heaters are terrible quality....what a joke. Such arrogance thinking that his way is THE ONLY WAY.

All hail King Eddie!!!!!

Eddie
08-26-2009, 09:09 PM
I like the Stealth heaters as well and have had them for over 2 years. But since we don't agree with Eddie, we are "nobodys" because ANYONE who is SOMEONE will tell you that Stealth heaters are terrible quality....what a joke. Such arrogance thinking that his way is THE ONLY WAY.

All hail King Eddie!!!!!

Don't be upset Bryan, Connor already picked up some "GOOD" heaters. ;)

Eddie