PDA

View Full Version : Best ways to steilize python hoses and other...

silent_thunder
08-26-2009, 08:40 AM
rubber tubbing....

Thx

D

Eddie
08-26-2009, 08:48 AM
Get new ones

Eddie

silent_thunder
08-26-2009, 09:00 AM
Get new ones

Eddie

Well now Eddie I thought there might be a cheaper way LOL

You cant dip them in boiling water? Theres always wayer left over inside the tubes which seems to me can cause some trouble at some point...

I have to KNOW! LOL

Thx

D:bandana:

Eddie
08-26-2009, 09:09 AM
The best option in my opinion, is to have seperate hoses for draining and filling.

Eddie

Mr Wild
08-26-2009, 09:11 AM
The best option in my opinion, is to have seperate hoses for draining and filling.

Eddie

Even then I soak in PP once a week and everyday when I finish with them and my nets I empty and hang in the sun. Just my 2cents worth.

Eddie
08-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Even then I soak in PP once a week and everyday when I finish with them and my nets I empty and hang in the sun. Just my 2cents worth.

You wanna send me some PP Kath! :D

Eddie

Mr Wild
08-26-2009, 09:24 AM
You wanna send me some PP Kath! :D

Eddie

Sure! Can't you get it over there?

PM me if our serious?

Eddie
08-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Sure! Can't you get it over there?

PM me if our serious?

Yeah, nobody has a flipping CLUE as to what it is. Not sure if you are allowed to ship it but worth a try. :D

Eddie

Sorry for throwing your thread off track Daniel. :o

Eddie

MSD
08-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Ed, I'd send you a bottle of the crystals if you want, let me know.

discus_newbie
08-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Hey Mr.Wild where do you get PP in Aus?? Do bunnings have them? The only time where i see them is in the school's lab.

Eddie
08-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Ed, I'd send you a bottle of the crystals if you want, let me know.

;)

Apistomaster
08-26-2009, 01:06 PM
Why don't you soak your hoses in bleach. You could even connect the hoses to a water pump in a bucket of water with a cup of bleach and recirculate it back to the bucket.

There is no great advantage of potassium permanganate over bleach and bleach is much easier to buy. You can buy potassium permanganate crystals from www.aquaticeco.com

I do not disinfect my hoses except to the extent that running tap water during the refill stage accomplishes. I always add Prime Water conditioner to the tanks before I refill them with tap water. It only takes me about an hour and a half to drain and refill, 6-40 gal, 4, 20 longs and 2-29H aquariums. I do my 75 gal and 125 gal tank in a different session because I have to wait for my house water heater to catch up.

I have used the same hoses to drain and refill my tanks for over 4 decades. My present system uses 2-25 ft RV potable water hoses. One of the hoses has an inverted "U" made from 1/2" PVC fittings and a 4 inch section of 1/2' PVC pipe. I glued this together with PVC pipe cement. One fitting is a garden hose female threaded 90* "ELL" which screws directly on the male end of the hose. Once assembled, the "U" is about 3 inches wide. This allows me to hang it on the top frame of the aquariums. The section of the "U" inside the aquarium has been left open so I can slip different lengths of PVC pipe to whatever amount of water I want to remove from the tank. I have tanks with depths ranging from 12" to 22" and usually change about 2/3 of the water at a time. I also built a wide opening out of a clear plastic jar with the bottom cut off. I covered the opening with nylon fly screen to prevent small fish or shrimp from being sucked out of the tank. The screen is held in place with a rubber band which need to be replaced periodically. Using another threaded PVC "ELL and threaded PVC coupler I attach this though a hole drilled in the plastic jar lid.
Since I siphon water out and refill from the faucet or my RO Reservoir this ending with an ""ELL" prevents unwanted disturbance of the substrate. In tanks with a deep substrate I use a separate Hydrovac siphon connected to a 25 ft hose. I siphon all water out the door and out to the yard. If you are in an apartment you may run the siphons to your bath tub to drain but if you do I advise you to be sure to use a drain screen when using the gravel cleaner since a fish will sometimes manage to get sucked in. My RV hose water changing system allows me to quickly make my routine water changes without having to stand there.
I usually start the siphon and go on line while it drains a tank. It is easy to move it to the next tank and if necessary to restart the siphon there is enough water in the hose to pick it up and get the water inthe hose to drain and automatically restart the siphon.

What is your intention or need to try to disinfect your hose? Just running tap water through it will kill any disease organisms.

Daniella
08-26-2009, 01:12 PM
I use PP when I have an outbreak to desinfect everything, but usualy I simply run the hot water from my hot water tank through it and let it rest of a few minutes. that is hot enough to burn the skin to 3rd degree..so get rid of most things except virus maybe.

rubber tubbing....

Thx

D

Apistomaster
08-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Unless you handle a lot of incoming new stock, disease transmission is not of much concern to most hobbyists. Healthy Discus rarely get sick.

I isolate sick fish in quarantine and use separate nets, hoses and accessories on that tank.

poconogal
08-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Why don't you soak your hoses in bleach. You could even connect the hoses to a water pump in a bucket of water with a cup of bleach and recirculate it back to the bucket.
I agree with Larry, bleach is fine for what you want to do, and recirculating thru the hoses from a bucket does the job.

I do not disinfect my hoses except to the extent that running tap water during the refill stage accomplishes...
Again, I agree with Larry - I've used the same hoses to drain and refill my tanks for 16 years. Yeah, I've got some algae in them, no big deal... other than being unsightly...

Of course, I do use SEPARATE hoses for separate tanks.

Apistomaster
08-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Hi Connie,

Since I use potable water recreational vehicle hoses they never grow any algae inside. I just drain them well and roll them up. Nothing has ever plopped out of them.

The clear flexible hoses are harder to keep clean because algae doesn't need much water to keep the hose wet enough to support algae growth when they are stored in a lighted location.

My system and equipment is more efficient than Python type water changing systems. The only improvement I would like is an auto shut-off and such a gadget is sold by www.jehmco.com, the fish room supply source. ~$240 is a bit more than I'm willing to pay but I have space out while refilling my tanks many times and created some good sized floods. It's my house so I don't have to worry about anyone down stairs. I envy those who have automated water changing systems.

silent_thunder
08-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Gee...thanks everyone...

Bleach it will be...I have access to PP but as of yet had a desire to use it...

Its available anytime I want it, so at some point I just need to go pick some of it up...

LOTS of great ideas and I think I have enough discus for a bit LOL

Thanks everyone :)

D

Mr Wild
08-27-2009, 03:46 AM
Hey Mr.Wild where do you get PP in Aus?? Do bunnings have them? The only time where i see them is in the school's lab.

Your local chemist should sell it, mine does. Small bottle but thats all you need. HTH

David Rose
08-27-2009, 07:56 AM
I agree, using bleach will do the trick!

Have a good one!

exv152
08-27-2009, 08:45 AM
I once had this only because some water stayed in the tube as I forgot to hang up the hose to dry out. I find if you do this you'll never have algae/mold growing in your pythons, and they can last for years.