PDA

View Full Version : Too much water movement?

akumastew
08-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Hi All

I have my tank cycling with 10 carinals, 2 german blue rams and 6 small 1 BNP.

Set up:

125 gallon

2180 Eheim Pro III

Penguin 660R x 2.

A picture of my set up can be found here:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/picture.php?albumid=94&pictureid=761

My question is...

The cardinals continually sit under the intake from one of the Penguin powerheads. Which where I believe there is least amount of flow.

They do not swim around the tank very much, they do come out to feed.

If I have my 2180 set to maximum output, they seem to struggle against the current. When I set this to 50%, they do swim around a little more.

The rams swim aroudn the tank much more.

Should I be concerned when I get to putting some Discus in that they wont be able to fight against the current?

Apistomaster
08-26-2009, 11:57 AM
My Discus tanks have enough filtration to provide a minimum 10 times their aquariums' volumes. This is a lot of current. In this photo below of a 75 gal tank there is a wet/dry filter running at 900 gph+ an Ehiem Clasic #2217 canister filter at 265 gph + a sponge filter with a MaxJet 600 power head at 160 gph for a total of 1225 gph/nominal volume 75 gal = ~16 X the volume of the tank. These Heckel Discus grew up in this environment and were always at ease. You can see from the ripples at the surface that there is a lot of flow but the Discus are quite at ease as they feed on frozen blood worms in the bag hanging in the front at the top. In the right rear you can see a school of 18 Green Neon Tetras frolicking in the strong currents around the outlets of the wet/dry and Eheim filter. They love the currents. The power head driven sponge filter is partially visible in the lower left rear in the photo. I could never have grown 10 3 inch Heckel Discus to full adult size had I not provided the extreme filtration and frequent, large water changes several times each week. By the accepted rule of thumb of 10 gal/Discus, I should have kept 10 adult Heckel Discus in at least a 100 gal or preferably a 125 gal aquarium.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/apistomaster/Heckelsfeedbag0003-1.jpg