PDA

View Full Version : Bill Introduced to Allow IRS Deduction for Pet Care

poconogal
08-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Hi guys! I just received a petition to sign regarding this, and I've already signed and forwarded it. I'm sure we could all use a little help caring for our many pets, although I don't think it covers fish. :( But I know so many of us also have other pets -- cats, dogs, etc. that would be covered under the proposed amendment to the Internal Revenue Code.

The Humanity and Pets Partnered Through the Years (HAPPY) Act (H.R. 3501) was just introduced to the U.S. House of Representatives and referred to the House Committee on Ways and Means.

The Act would amend the Internal Revenue Code to allow an individual to deduct up to $3,500 for "qualified pet care expenses" - including veterinary care - for a legally owned, domesticated, live animal.

Even a small tax deduction for responsible pet owners will go a long way to meet the needs of companion animals, ease the tax burden of those who own a pet (63 percent of all households) and may even encourage more people to provide loving homes to the countless animals filling America's shelters.

Here's a link to the petition and to forward it on to others you know.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/995438286?z00m=19785319

Scribbles
08-26-2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks Connie. Signed and forwarded.

Chris

poconogal
08-27-2009, 07:18 AM
Great, Chris. I hope others are doing the same! I know I sure could use a tax deduction with 3 Dobes and a cat, all rescues.

Scribbles
08-27-2009, 01:36 PM
I hear ya. I have 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 2 birds all but 1 bird are rescues. I miss the days of having my stable when all of the farm critters were deductions, even 1 of my dogs who did guard duty.

Chris

Lytehouse
08-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Also sent to several others. Hope this works out.