PDA

View Full Version : New to Discus. One of them doesnt seem well. Need Help Asap! Thanks!

nicodemayo
08-26-2009, 09:20 PM
I hate this is my first post here, but I am thankful to know there are so many others out there to help me. I filled out the disease form to shed some light on what may be the issue.

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started-

For the past couple of days, I have noticed one of my discus was clamping his dorsal fin on and off, and was turning dark on and off as well. I kept and eye on him during meals, for feces etc and everything else was fine. Now he is quite dark in color and tilting back and forth, as if to be off balance, sometimes, he will turn almost completely sideways.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

As mentioned above, clamped dorsal fin, dark coloration, tilting back and forth. He still eats fine with the others, and turns lighter as he eats, and does not hardly clamp the fins. When food is eaten, he gos back to normal.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Nothing. Looking for some suggestions

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

55 gallon tank. There are 6, the smallest being about 2 inches, and the largest being 3inches, maybe 3.5. There are two larger ones, and the 2nd largest is the sick looking one. There are also 6 neon tetras. I

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

I had the tank running empty for about a month until I felt I was ready to purchase the discus. I do a 50% water change every other day. I have a sand bottom.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp 84

- ph 7.2

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading- with my water changes, its normally around 10ppm

- well water- nope

- municipal water - I use city water, and treat with Tetra Aqua Aquasafe brand conditioner

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

Nope, wanting to take hold of keeping these amazing fish before I get to complicated.

Thank you all ahead of time for helping me out. I have combed some threads on the forum here, and It seems to me this may be a bacterial issue. Saw a man with similar problems, his thread is here

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=72706&highlight=swimming+sideways

Only difference is mine isnt swimming near as bad as his in the video, he turns dark, and he doesnt swim to the surface.