PDA

View Full Version : formalin rates please

kooringal
08-28-2009, 06:54 AM
hi, can someone please advise me of the rate for using formalin

Eddie
08-28-2009, 07:50 AM
Generally I would use 2 drops per gallon but this is all subject to water temperature. Regardless, adding extra air to the tank is a must. This is a long term bath. Short term bath, 30 drops per gallon for 30 minutes with heavy air added to the container.

HTH
Eddie

kooringal
08-28-2009, 10:08 AM
thanks eddie, hope i have done right i added about 5 ml to around 70 gal. temp 29.3oc and high airation

Eddie
08-28-2009, 10:38 AM
thanks eddie, hope i have done right i added about 5 ml to around 70 gal. temp 29.3oc and high airation

I would bring the temp down. The lower temperature, the less toxic. 80F would be a good temp. Good move on the air.

Eddie

Patr1ck
08-31-2009, 03:21 AM
hi, can someone please advise me of the rate for using formalin

Uh... Zero drops per gallon.:p Sorry, I had a bad experience with this stuff and lost 2 gorgeous fish.:( Be careful with that stuff. If you feed while the formalin is in the tank make sure the food is either IMMEDIATELY eaten or removed.

Pat

Eddie
08-31-2009, 03:58 AM
Uh... Zero drops per gallon.:p Sorry, I had a bad experience with this stuff and lost 2 gorgeous fish.:( Be careful with that stuff. If you feed while the formalin is in the tank make sure the food is either IMMEDIATELY eaten or removed.

Pat

Oh Pat, its not that bad, don't scare the guy. I have never had a negative reaction while using Formalin or Formalin combinations. Too many variables in your instance with the CBWs and using formalin.

Eddie

Patr1ck
08-31-2009, 02:48 PM
Oh Pat, its not that bad, don't scare the guy. I have never had a negative reaction while using Formalin or Formalin combinations. Too many variables in your instance with the CBWs and using formalin.

Eddie

After some time has gone by Ive thought about the whole experience. I dont think that the cbws were the issue as the ones that were still in the tank, when I got home from work, were still crawling around. I had fed a cube of blood worms, a cube of brine shrimp that the fish didnt touch(they normally do) so I fed some cbws and went to work. It was the blood worms and the brine shrimp along with gas bubbles that the 2 fish that were extremely bloated were coughing up. I was thinking that since the BS and the BWs were previously frozen (dead) that they absorbed the formalin as it is used as embalming fluid and that poisioned the fish that ate them. The others did not eat them and survived. The real bummer is the fact that the 2 fish that I lost because of this werent the sick ones, they were in the tank with the sick ones and the whole tank got treated as I didnt know what I was dealing with (I still dont). I guess the lessons that I learned is, only treat the sick fish unless you know what you are dealing with and that warrants the need to treat the whole tank. The other lesson is to remove uneaten food promptly especially when using formalin. Im not trying to scare you kooringal, sorry if I did:o. I just want to make sure no one else makes the mistakes that I did. It was horrible for me to see the fish suffering the way they did.

hth,
Pat

Eddie
08-31-2009, 06:51 PM
For sure Pat, I don't normally feed when treating with QC or Formalin meds.

Eddie