PDA

View Full Version : CFL lights on a 180 - How many ????

Arkangel77
08-28-2009, 10:31 PM
I am going to swap my lights on my 180 to (CFL) a DIY Compact Fluorescent Light system. I was wondering how many would be good to grow plants in a 180? I had HO fluorescence's which I did not like. I swapped to LED's which are to dim. I have decided to try CFL's.

I can fit 40 bulbs - 20 double ended holders in the hood easily. That just seems like a LOT but I need to ensure that I have enough light to penetrate to the bottom of the 180! This is the 3rd light system I am trying and I want it to be the last!!!!!!!!!!! SO, simple question - How many do you think would work? I have 8 on my 75 and it looks and works great, The 180 is DEEPER so How many do you think?

Thanks, Arkangel77
:angel:

Ed13
08-29-2009, 09:36 AM
CFL really is not the way to go for many reasons. The sheer number of them for one and they'll have a tough time reaching the bottom. Although my Home depot carries a 150w CFL, I've never tried though.

LED's can be really bright as much as a MH, however if you did not spend close to a grand(way more on a OEM system) on them you basically had moonlights. Can't think of why you did not like HO, was it the color combo? where they T5HO? They are basically a flourescent light and there are MANY colors to chose from.

Without the purpose of the lighting you want, I pretty much can only think of several flourescenet tubes T8-T12. You'll find the most colors in the 3' and 4' unless your LFS carries 6' tubes. If you want plants I'd be looking at MH, HOT5, PC, VHO, T8-T12. Most likely in that order.

HTH

Arkangel77
08-29-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the reply - I did not like the HEAT the PC bulb fixtures put out in my hood, They were also not bright enough

Ed13
08-30-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the reply - I did not like the HEAT the PC bulb fixtures put out in my hood, They were also not bright enough
I missed the grow plants part in your first thread:o
Then my recommendation would be to look at HOT5. Perhaps start at 3 x5'bulbs or 4 x 4' (staggered) or 6 x 3' bulbs. All with a really good reflector then add more bulbs as needed.

As far as heat, no matter what you do you'll need to allow for ventilation and effectively cool the bulbs/canopy area with fans. Actually, adding 40 (9w bulbs?) of CFL bulbs into a canopy would prob produce as much heat as 2 x 150w MH since you'd be using as much watts.

HTH

Darrell Ward
08-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Power compacts can easily light a 180 gal. if you have decent reflectors. The key is having good reflectors. I use to grow any plant I wanted in a 240 gal. that is 31" deep. I used 4- 96 watt, 6500k light kits by AH supply. I learned that I could turn off two of them, and still grow plants.

Arkangel77
08-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Power compacts can easily light a 180 gal. if you have decent reflectors. The key is having good reflectors. I use to grow any plant I wanted in a 240 gal. that is 31" deep. I used 4- 96 watt, 6500k light kits by AH supply. I learned that I could turn off two of them, and still grow plants.

The FIrst thing I had that I replaced were Power compacts.

I have fans and Vent Holes all threw my hoods back and top.