PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Ebay Discus

ifixoldhouses
08-29-2009, 01:54 PM
MOney is tight, after building my new fish room, I need some cheap Discus, but want good ones, was looking at this

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-MAYAN-JADE-DISCUS-Gorgeous-color-Live-Fish_W0QQitemZ140341696512QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNa meZRSS:B:SRCH:US:101

How bad could they be at 1.5 "
or does ne1 on this site have any for around that price or cheaper?

Cooldadddyfunk286
08-29-2009, 02:02 PM
I would personally check out the sponsors here. Kennys discus...you can get cobalts and blue diamonds for like 20-25 bucks a pop. not to mention the best quality fish and best service. I would check Kenny out. you dont have to break the bank to get really good fish and service.

take care.

allan_mark76
08-29-2009, 02:06 PM
I'd buy fish related products from EBAY, but NOT Discus from there. The sponsors of this forum have better quality and have been screened by Brewmaster himself. Don't even bother with Ebay. The people they target are those who are not knowledgeable and who still don't know of this forum. Go with the sponsors, you will not be disappointed. I have an order with Kenny right now so chech him out.

~AKA~

allan_mark76
08-29-2009, 02:07 PM
BTW sure like the names they make up - Mayan Jade?

~AKA~

ifixoldhouses
08-29-2009, 02:11 PM
ya, she has 100% feedback, but I wonder if the customers know what a good discus is?

hedut
08-29-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm agree 100% with Jason :D:D:D:D

Chad Hughes
08-29-2009, 02:27 PM
I have heard good feedback about this particular seller, however I have never purchased anything from her. I will say this...These discus on Ebay are small. 1.5-2". The pictures aren't great and her prices are nearly the same as sponsor prices.

Bill, from Inland Empire Discus, has BEAUTIFUL fry for sale. If you have a few tanks that you want to fill up, I'd get with him and get some fry. That's what I'm doing next weekend! LOL! Anyway, I've bought fry from Bill before and he has, without a doubt, the best quality and selection of fry less than 2" than any other sponsor on SD. His prices range from $10 to $20. Even the $10 fry are gorgeous! LOL! Anyway, just my $.02.

Best wishes!

ifixoldhouses
08-29-2009, 02:44 PM
I have heard good feedback about this particular seller, however I have never purchased anything from her. I will say this...These discus on Ebay are small. 1.5-2". The pictures aren't great and her prices are nearly the same as sponsor prices.

Bill, from Inland Empire Discus, has BEAUTIFUL fry for sale. If you have a few tanks that you want to fill up, I'd get with him and get some fry. That's what I'm doing next weekend! LOL! Anyway, I've bought fry from Bill before and he has, without a doubt, the best quality and selection of fry less than 2" than any other sponsor on SD. His prices range from $10 to $20. Even the $10 fry are gorgeous! LOL! Anyway, just my $.02.

Best wishes!

That's what I'm talkin about $10 each sounds good, I have plenty of room for em, I'll look him up, thanx

Discus-n00b
08-29-2009, 02:44 PM
I'd suggest Kenny as well. He has some really nice smaller ones of the classic strains for great prices. Almost always has Blue Diamonds.

Cooldadddyfunk286
08-29-2009, 04:28 PM
BTW sure like the names they make up - Mayan Jade?

~AKA~

right?? LOL...looks like a cobalt to me huh? ;)

also, I was thinkin... if you order from a sponsor, they will help you with your discus in any way shape or form. they will help you as best as they can...I know Kenny or Dan E. will talk with you on the phone for hours about your fish if need be, they really care. Im not sure how an ebay seller would handle that...I would imagine after the sale is done and you get your fish alive, thats probably about as far as that relationship goes. I have made friends with Kenny and Dan.

Chad Hughes
08-29-2009, 05:15 PM
You have a great point. Kenny has the best young adult/adult fish you can but IMO and his customer service is excellent. He called me three times on delivery day. LOL! I really appreciated that.

Anyway, the OP is looking for some high quality, inexpensive fish. The ONLY way you can accomlish that is to buy fry. Bill's got the highest quality FRY of anybody on this site. When I want young adults, I typically hit up Kenny. For fry, it's Bill!

Best wishes!

Jhhnn
08-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Having recently come back to discus keeping after many years' absence, I knew that small fish are a lot more difficult than sub-adults... they require a feeding schedule that I really can't provide unless the little darlings will accept flakes or pellets from a feeder, something apparently easier described than accomplished. My fish still won't touch either...

And the one thing I was sure of was (and is) that I don't want stunted fish- I want big beautiful discus and nothing less.

So I bit the bullet and bought sub-adults from Kenny. The first experience was so positive that I did it again, and I have no regrets. It's only money, and I'll make more...

Looks like he'll have some 2-1/2" blue diamonds in the upcoming shipment- I doubt they'll be expensive, at all, and they might be big enough to be less demanding... from the preliminary pics, they look to be fat and sassy, chunky little things- a budget bargain...

Darrell Ward
08-30-2009, 01:20 AM
Actually, a couple of sponsors on this forum post discus on Aquabid from time to time. I've never even looked at discus on Ebay. I do recommend any the sponsors on this forum first however. They wouldn't last around here very long if they didn't treat people fairly.

RLorts
08-30-2009, 02:26 AM
Your location says N.C. I thought I saw that the Southern Discus Study Group met in Charlotte recently. That might be a good group to contact. I believe there are also some breeders in your area that are also sponsors here. I believe Charlotte club is having an auction next month. Atlanta club is having their auction in two weeks. Discus are almost always in them. I know of a couple of smaller breeders that put discus fry in them. They mostly have Stendker stock. Not to take anything away from any of the quality sponsors here or elsewhere, but if money is tight you have a lot of options in your own backyard so to speak.

rickztahone
08-30-2009, 02:38 AM
this is a bad picture but the two red melons are from Mary. when i got those two i got another 6 which i had to ultimately cull (my doing, not the seller's fault). when i go them they were roughly an inch. if you are not that experienced with discus then i would tell you to stay away from such small fry, but that is ultimately your choice. Kenny gets some great sub-adults and as you can tell the man ALWAYS takes care of his customers. his BD's are usually $22 ea.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/P7261408.jpg

Eddie
08-30-2009, 07:38 AM
Very nice melons Ricardo!

Eddie

Discus-n00b
08-30-2009, 08:02 AM
NC? You're in the area of Eric at Carolina Discus! You should contact him too. I know he usually has various types of small fish around, as well as sub adults. He is listed in the sponsor section as well.

ifixoldhouses
08-30-2009, 09:22 AM
NC? You're in the area of Eric at Carolina Discus! You should contact him too. I know he usually has various types of small fish around, as well as sub adults. He is listed in the sponsor section as well.

He's at the bottom of the state, I'm at the top, about 2 hrs away, he doesn't have any juvies till a month from now.

zn394
08-30-2009, 10:01 AM
I got 5 of Mary's 1 1/2" - 2" "Aztec Envy" discus last October. Due to my own inexperience they are all stunted and I lost 2 of them within a couple of months. The largest of them is now 4 1/4" and quite attractive. He has been id'd as a cobalt by members of this forum.

Mary's customer service is exceptional. She was in constant contact until the fish were settled in and was available on many occasions to help out - both through email and on the phone. I think she could easily be a sponsor here.

My only real gripe with her is those cute little nicknames she gives her discus. I am still not sure what strain I have, but I am comfortable with cobalt. I believe it would be a greater service for her to provide the actual strains she has even if they are crosses. Here is a pic of the big guy I got from her, plus one of the much smaller ones at about 3".

Lytehouse
08-30-2009, 11:39 AM
Just to support what is being said here about sponsor fish,

A reputable source who guarantees their fish: Dr. Foster & Smith online (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=830+834) , but look at the prices for a 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 in fish and you won't get any help on the phone past a replacement fish.
JMO

rickztahone
08-30-2009, 11:43 AM
My only real gripe with her is those cute little nicknames she gives her discus...

agreed 100%. she is a great person to deal with though

Very nice melons Ricardo!

Eddie

thanks Eddie, i work out! LOL

ifixoldhouses
08-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Well I sent Bill and kenny emails with no response so far, But 7 Cobalts for $136 shipping included is a pretty good deal, and its from Florida which is closer than California, I'll wait till I hear from them I guess.

Inland Empire Discus
08-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Well I sent Bill and kenny emails with no response so far, But 7 Cobalts for $136 shipping included is a pretty good deal, and its from Florida which is closer than California, I'll wait till I hear from them I guess.

I have not received any email from you. Please PM me, send an email to inlandempirediscus@verizon.net, or call me at 909-484-1855. I have a good selection of fry at the moment.
I have recently worked out a good discount with Fedex which allows me to ship up to 12 1-2 inch fish at a really good rate.

Bill

ifixoldhouses
08-30-2009, 02:09 PM
sent another email, I googled the name the first time, may be an old email I guess.

rich815
08-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Kenny's reputation is unsurpassed. With discus (or anything) cheap and good rarely go together. Do not be lulled by some great price. You get what you pay for and in the long run is rarely a good deal in the end.

Spend just a little more and go with Kenny. California vs. Florida is not any concern with the method and shipping that Kenny does. The quality of his fish are simply amazing.

Personally the "cute" made-up names makes that seller a non-starter with me...

ifixoldhouses
08-30-2009, 08:41 PM
Found a thread on here about this Ebay seller, looks to be a good breeder.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=67869

rickztahone
08-30-2009, 10:48 PM
...cheap and good rarely go together. Do not be lulled by some great price. You get what you pay for and in the long run is rarely a good deal in the end.

i disagree just because Kenny IMHO opinion has some great prices, even cheap i would say compared to local LFS'. while the ones from Mary are really cheap including ship you must remember that they are tiny and it takes a great deal of care and attention to get them to their full potential.

ifixoldhouses
08-31-2009, 06:59 AM
I think Eric has some he'll sell me.

Eddie
08-31-2009, 07:06 AM
I think Eric has some he'll sell me.

Definitely go with Eric, 2 hours drive is biscuits......unless you only own a bicycle. You will be well impressed with Eric's fish, they are top quality discus.

Eddie

Eddie
08-31-2009, 07:07 AM
thanks Eddie, i work out! LOL

Yeah, I thought so Ricardo........:p LOL

Eddie

Jhhnn
08-31-2009, 09:45 AM
Definitely go with Eric, 2 hours drive is biscuits......unless you only own a bicycle. You will be well impressed with Eric's fish, they are top quality discus.

Eddie

Seems like a good move to me. I've never dealt with Eric, but his reputation is solid and some of his breeding stock came from Forrest via Kenny, iirc...

There's no substitute for good genetics, and Forrest's fish definitely have that in terms of strength and vitality.

Darrell Ward
08-31-2009, 11:37 AM
He's at the bottom of the state, I'm at the top, about 2 hrs away, he doesn't have any juvies till a month from now.

If you're in NC, Eric can ship you fish FedEx overnight for around $29. I've done this a couple of times. It'll save you time, and the trip would probably cost you close to that in gas anyway. He's a good guy to deal with. The quality of his fish is on par with anyone's.