PDA

View Full Version : Heater malfunction caused a sad day.

wadewc
08-31-2009, 09:03 PM
I just came home and found both of my discus dead in one of my aquariums due to a heater malfunction. Thermometer read over 140. I received these discus in Kenny’s June shipment. I asked Kenny if he could get me two 5” white discus for June order and he found these beautiful white crosses for me. I was so proud of them. Pics of fish are in this http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=72711 post.
They laid legs last week but unfortunately the HOB sucked them up. I know with this hobby things are going to happen that is out our control but this sucks. Is there something I can do or buy that will help this from happening again. The heater that went bad was a Stealth 200 watt. I have a 75 gallon with two heaters one Stealth and looks like it says Theohydar with no problems.

Thanks,
Wade

Disgirl
08-31-2009, 09:23 PM
I am so sorry to hear this Wade. What a terrible shock that must have been for you. Others here have said that the Stealth heaters are not reliable. I have used Ebo Jaeger heaters for years and they have been good. Now I have a Rena Smart heater in my discus tank and it stays within .5 degrees of where I have it set, always. Mine is a 300 watt for my 75 gal tank. Best of luck with a new heater and some new fish. We have all had our fish disasters for sure...
Barb

Scribbles
08-31-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. You would think that by now companies could make a reliable heater. I've heard that temp controllers and in lline heaters are pretty reliable but I haven't used either yet.

Chris

Eddie
08-31-2009, 09:48 PM
I just came home and found both of my discus dead in one of my aquariums due to a heater malfunction. Thermometer read over 140. I received these discus in Kenny’s June shipment. I asked Kenny if he could get me two 5” white discus for June order and he found these beautiful white crosses for me. I was so proud of them. Pics of fish are in this http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=72711 post.
They laid legs last week but unfortunately the HOB sucked them up. I know with this hobby things are going to happen that is out our control but this sucks. Is there something I can do or buy that will help this from happening again. The heater that went bad was a Stealth 200 watt. I have a 75 gallon with two heaters one Stealth and looks like it says Theohydar with no problems.

Thanks,
Wade

I am so sorry to hear Wade, I frequently bad talk stealth heaters and many people will argue that they are reliable. I think it is safe to say, they are junk.

Get an Eheim Jager or I have heard good things about the Rena smart heaters.

Sorry my friend,

Eddie

ifixoldhouses
08-31-2009, 09:59 PM
Dam, every heater I have is a stealth, more money more money...

Eddie
08-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Maybe not, if you have alot of them, maybe a temperature controller from Jehmco can help. I do not know how they work but maybe they can be helpful. :o

http://www.jehmco.com/html/temperature_controller.html

wadewc
08-31-2009, 10:16 PM
I am so sorry to hear this Wade. What a terrible shock that must have been for you. Others here have said that the Stealth heaters are not reliable. I have used Ebo Jaeger heaters for years and they have been good. Now I have a Rena Smart heater in my discus tank and it stays within .5 degrees of where I have it set, always. Mine is a 300 watt for my 75 gal tank. Best of luck with a new heater and some new fish. We have all had our fish disasters for sure...
Barb

Thanks Barb, I understand i'm sure this won't be my last fish disaster.

Thanks,
Wade

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. You would think that by now companies could make a reliable heater. I've heard that temp controllers and in lline heaters are pretty reliable but I haven't used either yet.

Chris

Thanks Chris, you would think they would make a more reliable heater. There is so much technology out there.

Thanks,
Wade

I am so sorry to hear Wade, I frequently bad talk stealth heaters and many people will argue that they are reliable. I think it is safe to say, they are junk.

Get an Eheim Jager or I have heard good things about the Rena smart heaters.

Sorry my friend,

Eddie

Thanks Eddie, I would agree. I am ready to buy heaters for all my tanks. I just want to get a good heater. It would seam there is some type of controller that could sense the water temp and shut off the heater. Have you heard of anything like that?

Thanks
Wade

blkrob
08-31-2009, 10:20 PM
Really sorry for your lost. I to cooked an entire tank once. Thank goodness it was when I was preparing for discus. I took the heater back to the store and they offered to replace it. I went with store credit instead of another heater. I switched to 2 hydor 300w inlines. Have not had an issue since then. They are always when in 2 degrees of the setting.

wadewc
08-31-2009, 10:59 PM
Dam, every heater I have is a stealth, more money more money...

I have an old stealth and no problem yet. The one that went out of control was less than three months old. Trust me the more you get addicted the more it is going to cost. But i really injoy it.

Thanks,
Wade

Maybe not, if you have alot of them, maybe a temperature controller from Jehmco can help. I do not know how they work but maybe they can be helpful. :o

http://www.jehmco.com/html/temperature_controller.html

That is perty cool Eddie Thanks. I want to do some more reading but that looks like what i was asking about. I guess i better start looking around where to buy some new heaters first.

Thanks Eddie, You are always there ready to help and i thank you for that.
Wade

Really sorry for your lost. I to cooked an entire tank once. Thank goodness it was when I was preparing for discus. I took the heater back to the store and they offered to replace it. I went with store credit instead of another heater. I switched to 2 hydor 300w inlines. Have not had an issue since then. They are always when in 2 degrees of the setting.

Thanks, That is what i am worried about. I have the same heater in another tank getting it ready for some more fish. The one that went bad on me was about three months old. Of course i threw away the reciept.

Thanks,
Wade

mmorris
08-31-2009, 11:24 PM
I think it is safe to say, they are junk.

I'm so sorry to hear, Wade. That must have been a terrible shock. I researched heaters a few years ago and every brand had it's supporters and also those who thought them `junk'. I've used only stealth since then on all of my tanks and I have never had one that overheated. When one goes bad it tends to stop heating. Obviously for you, they can overheat, but rather than blame stealth heaters, you might want to chalk it up to an awful, unavoidable accident. IMO it could have been any brand of heater. I've heard good things about the controllers.

Eddie
08-31-2009, 11:27 PM
I'm so sorry to hear, Wade. That must have been a terrible shock. I researched heaters a few years ago and every brand had it's supporters and also those who thought them `junk'. I've used only stealth since then on all of my tanks and I have never had one that overheated. When one goes bad it tends to stop heating. Obviously for you, they can overheat, but rather than blame stealth heaters, you might want to chalk it up to an awful, unavoidable accident. IMO it could have been any brand of heater. I've heard good things about the controllers.

And how old is your oldest heater Martha?

mmorris
08-31-2009, 11:31 PM
I started buying them about three years ago because they were the most highly recommended.

Jhhnn
08-31-2009, 11:32 PM
Sorry for your loss.

I'll second Eddie's recommendation of the ranco temp controller from Jehmco, if you're willing to go the $. I have one on my 120 setup, controlling two 250W Jagers that I also got from Jehmco. Works great. Can't beat the price or the service, either.

Once the jagers were calibrated, I set them to ~88F, waited to be sure they were working right. Then I plugged 'em into the controller, set it for 85F, and it hasn't budged since. It holds the setting even when unplugged overnight, too... didn't take that test any further. If the controller fails on, then the internal heater thermostats should theoretically take over. Unlikely, but I do have a backup temp control, never a bad thing...

If you or anybody else is interested, send me some failed heaters of different brands so I can take 'em apart, determine if the old trick of making up a series wired outlet box will work on them... It's actually pretty easy if you're mechanically inclined, at all, and was a preferred method years ago. PM me, and I'll give you the address. It'd make an interesting pictorial for my fellow SD'ers...

I had a few failed stealths in my possession but pitched 'em in a cleanup frenzy... hadn't considered the series wiring thing at the time...

Eddie
08-31-2009, 11:32 PM
I started buying them about three years ago because they were the most highly recommended.

Three years is still young, and there is a reason why they have a lifetime warranty, when one fails and kills are the fish, you get a new one to replace the faulty one, not to replace the fish.

Eddie

wadewc
08-31-2009, 11:41 PM

Thanks Martha, Your right maybe i should not be so judge amental. I have lost others in the past due to my error but these were special. I new getting into this hobby there was going to be good and bad times. I am getting ready on making a order but i am a little nervous know. I am still reading on the controllers.

Thanks again,
Wade

mmorris
08-31-2009, 11:41 PM
Three years is still young, and there is a reason why they have a lifetime warranty, when one fails and kills are the fish, you get a new one to replace the faulty one, not to replace the fish.

Eddie
Companies don't give life-time warranties with products if they think they're going to have to replace them on a regular basis. It wouldn't be cost-effective. Life-time warranties are about standing by your product. I heard a receipt isn't even necessary but I don't know if that's true for sure. Three years is young, but my decision to invest in them was based on the opinions of those I trust.

mmorris
08-31-2009, 11:43 PM
Thanks Martha, Your right maybe i should not be so judge amental. I have lost others in the past due to my error but these were special. I new getting into this hobby there was going to be good and bad times. I am getting ready on making a order but i am a little nervous know. I am still reading on the controllers.

Thanks again,
Wade

Ya, the bad times are really awful! So what are you going to order?

Eddie
08-31-2009, 11:43 PM
Companies don't give life-time warranties with products if they think they're going to have to replace them on a regular basis. It wouldn't be cost-effective. Life-time warranties are about standing by your product. I heard a receipt isn't even necessary but I don't know if that's true for sure. Three years is young, but my decision to invest in them was based on the opinions of those I trust.

Right, there is some talk about the lifetime warranty and how the heaters were built cheaply so they can be easily replaced.

Eddie

mmorris
08-31-2009, 11:45 PM
Right, there is some talk about the lifetime warranty and how the heaters were built cheaply so they can be easily replaced.

Eddie

:confused:

wadewc
08-31-2009, 11:58 PM
Sorry for your loss.

I'll second Eddie's recommendation of the ranco temp controller from Jehmco, if you're willing to go the $. I have one on my 120 setup, controlling two 250W Jagers that I also got from Jehmco. Works great. Can't beat the price or the service, either.

Once the jagers were calibrated, I set them to ~88F, waited to be sure they were working right. Then I plugged 'em into the controller, set it for 85F, and it hasn't budged since. It holds the setting even when unplugged overnight, too... didn't take that test any further. If the controller fails on, then the internal heater thermostats should theoretically take over. Unlikely, but I do have a backup temp control, never a bad thing...

If you or anybody else is interested, send me some failed heaters of different brands so I can take 'em apart, determine if the old trick of making up a series wired outlet box will work on them... It's actually pretty easy if you're mechanically inclined, at all, and was a preferred method years ago. PM me, and I'll give you the address. It'd make an interesting pictorial for my fellow SD'ers...

I had a few failed stealths in my possession but pitched 'em in a cleanup frenzy... hadn't considered the series wiring thing at the time...

I am very interested in the temp controller. I know it might be allitle bit of a cost but the cost of the fish and all the time and money you put in raising them seems to be worth it.

I am very interested in your suggestion on the old heaters. It sounds like you are going to wire around the thermostat and use the controller to control the temp. Is that what you are talking bout?

I will have to go get the heater out of the trash. I threw it away with the fish.

Thanks,
Wade

namasgt
09-01-2009, 12:04 AM
I am very sorry for your lose. I had Stealth heater before and after 6 months it was electrocuting my Discus.

wadewc
09-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Ya, the bad times are really awful! So what are you going to order?

I have been talking with Bill about getting some fry. Maybe when they get allittle bigger i could sell a few. I was looking about selling some fish to help support my fish habit. There is nobody here that sells discus. I really like your blue saphire fry BTW.

Wade

Lytehouse
09-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Wade,

Really sorry. That really stinks. We were just talking about your fish and your tanks.

I'm with Eddie and others on controllers. I haven't used the brand he recommended, but I have used controllers with a lot of success.

Anything I can do?

wadewc
09-01-2009, 12:12 AM
I am very sorry for your lose. I had Stealth heater before and after 6 months it was electrocuting my Discus.

Thanks, Wow sorry to hear about your lose. You did bring up another thought if you are not using a controller are you using a surge protector on your aquariums?

Thanks,
Wade

wadewc
09-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Wade,

Really sorry. That really stinks. We were just talking about your fish and your tanks.

I'm with Eddie and others on controllers. I haven't used the brand he recommended, but I have used controllers with a lot of success.

Anything I can do?

Thanks Lynn, I don't know if you saw it on the news but my wife was telling me she saw there was a house fire caused by a fish aquarium.
I am definatley interested in the controllers. I will have to read more but for what i read that would stop the heaters from going wild.
I appreciate the offer Lynn. We will have to get together some time.

Thanks,
Wade

Chad Hughes
09-01-2009, 12:31 AM
Wow. Sorry to hear of your sudden loss. Bewteen you and Marvin from the contest, it's been a rough couple of weeks with discus fatalities.

Anyway, check out www.kensfish.com. He's got some "aquarium size" heaters and controllers. Jehmco has some really high quality ones, but those are for big systems IMO. I use them on holding tanks to control heaters in the thousands of watts.

I wish you all the best in getting things back in order!

namasgt
09-01-2009, 12:31 AM
Thanks, Wow sorry to hear about your lose. You did bring up another thought if you are not using a controller are you using a surge protector on your aquariums?

Thanks,
Wade

I sold my tank and fish, they didnt die I cought it soon before it got bad.
I noticed the fish were not comfortable, then I put my hand in the water thinking that the termometer is not working properly, then BAM... I put my hand in there again and I knew something was wrong. I disconnected the heater and the problem was gone. I bought a Jager and it served me well but I had problem setting it. I had to set it at 72 or 76 to get a temperature of 84F. I also have a very old Jager, one of those green ones, I got it from a aquarium store when I was buying my used tank. It worked with no problems even thought I got it as a used heater.

Lytehouse
09-01-2009, 12:43 AM
Wow. Sorry to hear of your sudden loss. Bewteen you and Marvin from the contest, it's been a rough couple of weeks with discus fatalities.

Anyway, check out www.kensfish.com. He's got some "aquarium size" heaters and controllers. Jehmco has some really high quality ones, but those are for big systems IMO. I use them on holding tanks to control heaters in the thousands of watts.

The finnex heaters/controllers posted on Kens sight are what I used in salt water tanks, in the sumps.

wadewc
09-01-2009, 12:54 AM

Thanks Chad, I appreciate the information.
I still have my 75 with seven nice discus. I am definatly getting some more fish. I know have two 30 gallons ready for fish. [Well i need to get another heater.] I was talking to Bill today about getting some fry. I think i might be getting more than i was first thinking about getting.
I don't have as many tanks as you have LOL but i am working on it.

Thanks again for everything Chad,
Wade

mareshow
09-01-2009, 01:24 AM
Thanks Eddie, I would agree. I am ready to buy heaters for all my tanks. I just want to get a good heater. It would seam there is some type of controller that could sense the water temp and shut off the heater. Have you heard of anything like that?

Thanks
Wade

You could rig something up pretty easily just loop the power for the heater through a automatic shut off switch that deals with temperature, and when it gets too hot it'll click off and when it cools back down it'll turn back on again. it'd be easy to do like a thermostat except for your fishies safety :)

pcsb23
09-01-2009, 08:30 AM
As well as heater controllers you could also run two heaters in the tank, both under rated. If one fails off, the other keeps the water warm enough so the fish don't freeze, if one fails on then it isn't that powerful it cooks the fish and you have more time.

Always bad when a technical failure costs fish.

wadewc
09-01-2009, 08:31 AM
You could rig something up pretty easily just loop the power for the heater through a automatic shut off switch that deals with temperature, and when it gets too hot it'll click off and when it cools back down it'll turn back on again. it'd be easy to do like a thermostat except for your fishies safety :)

I appreciate the information. That is what i was thinking. It was mentioned in a previous post of controllers that due just that. I have been in the mechanical field all my life and i was thinking of what controlls i could use. It seems like you have some mechanical experience as well.

Thanks,
Wade

mmorris
09-01-2009, 09:51 AM
I have been talking with Bill about getting some fry. I really like your blue saphire fry BTW.

Wade

Thanks Wade. The sapphire fry move to their new digs today without mum and dad. I bought 12 little albino fry from Bill and all 12 are eating aggressively. Not one missed a beat from shipping. Every one has a lovely shape. It sounds like you have a good plan.

Jhhnn
09-01-2009, 09:59 AM
I am very interested in the temp controller. I know it might be allitle bit of a cost but the cost of the fish and all the time and money you put in raising them seems to be worth it.

I am very interested in your suggestion on the old heaters. It sounds like you are going to wire around the thermostat and use the controller to control the temp. Is that what you are talking bout?

I will have to go get the heater out of the trash. I threw it away with the fish.

Thanks,
Wade

I think you misunderstand. I don't intend to use old heaters for anything other than to take 'em apart, examine the internal mechanism. On further reflection, I don't think that the whole series wired outlet box is a good option for discus keepers, anyway. If we plug two 300W heaters into a wall outlet, total heat output is 600W, because they're wired in parallel. If we wire them in series, total heat output is only 150W, per Ohm's law... It's tough to get sufficient heat output for larger tanks doing things that way.

The best thing about using conventional heaters on a controller is that you do have backup temp control from the heaters themselves. As I offered earlier, adjust the heater's setpoint somewhat higher than desired, then plug it into the controller, adjust the controller to the proper setpoint.

I think that the jager heaters plugged into finnex controllers from Ken could be a good budget alternative to the ranco controllers. I want a controller for my 75, anyway, so I think maybe I'll order one up this evening... maybe a couple of spare heaters, too- I hate getting hammered for full retail when I need something right away, something like a heater...

exv152
09-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Marineland now claims to have an “overheat-protected operation” on all their new stealth heaters.

Wadewc, is this the product that overheated???

http://www.marineland.com/sites/Marineland/products/productdetail.aspx?id=2054&cid=1223&mid=3226

wadewc
09-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Marineland now claims to have an “overheat-protected operation” on all their new stealth heaters.

Wadewc, is this the product that overheated???

http://www.marineland.com/sites/Marineland/products/productdetail.aspx?id=2054&cid=1223&mid=3226

Thanks EXV152. I called and talked to Marineland and asked if they were experiencing troubles with thease heaters and they said that they have heard of problems from time to time with all heaters. They said if the heater is buried in gravel or if it is not totally submerged in water that could cause problems. But i have a BB tank. They can not explain what happened but they said they are sorry. They ask that i ship the old one back and they will send me a new one at no cost.

Wade

seanyuki
09-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Hi Wade,

I have good experience using the Rena smart heaters replacing all the Marineland Stealth heaters at home.

exv152
09-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Hey Wade, now you got me thinking, I've got two stealths in my 75 gal planted discus tank, and when I do water changes they become partially unsubmerged. I'm going to email Marineland to see if they have made any recent changes, all of their new heaters say they have an "overheat-protected operation" - what exactly does this mean?

allan_mark76
09-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Same exact thing happened to me last month ! ! ! Lost 25 WB's that I was growing out. I just sold the parent too ! ! ! It was a 250W STEALTH HEATER. BUYERS BEWARE ! ! !

~AKA~

wadewc
09-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Hey Wade, now you got me thinking, I've got two stealths in my 75 gal planted discus tank, and when I do water changes they become partially unsubmerged. I'm going to email Marineland to see if they have made any recent changes, all of their new heaters say they have an "overheat-protected operation" - what exactly does this mean?

I unplug everything except my lights while i am cleaning my tank. I plug them back in before i start adding water. I have this heater that is mentioned with overheat-protected operation. It means, what they told me, is send in the old one and they will send me a replacement. It is designed to fail with the thermostat open so it will not overheat. Not closed.

Wade

wadewc
09-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Same exact thing happened to me last month ! ! ! Lost 25 WB's that I was growing out. I just sold the parent too ! ! ! It was a 250W STEALTH HEATER. BUYERS BEWARE ! ! !

~AKA~

Wow, 25 WB. Sorry Allan.

Wade

Eddie
09-01-2009, 06:42 PM

~AKA~

Ouch, that is another one to mark up as an "accident". Sorry to hear about the loss. Good reason to stay away from those junk heaters.

Eddie

alpine
09-01-2009, 06:44 PM
I did have the same thing happen to me . I decided to buy the most up to date Titanium heaters and Controllers in the WON line . I had the D58 controllers . I put all my five Adult females together in a 75 and went to Detroit to show our dogs for a couple of days. When I came back the females look very still and calm . They were upright and looked good but I sensed something was wrong , I put my fingers in the water and realized how high the temp was , I touched the fish and they were all dead . the Won customer service lady was a total JOKE !
Since then I have used Stealth heaters but have used two of lesser wattage per tank , it has worked well for me since then.

Lytehouse
09-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks EXV152. I called and talked to Marineland and asked if they were experiencing troubles with thease heaters and they said that they have heard of problems from time to time with all heaters. They said if the heater is buried in gravel or if it is not totally submerged in water that could cause problems. But i have a BB tank. They can not explain what happened but they said they are sorry. They ask that i ship the old one back and they will send me a new one at no cost.

Wade

See Wade, this is what is wierd. Don't heaters usually fail that way, stuck open? Well, that's not the stories told here the last couple days. Hope you find some good option, either controllers or running 2 heaters at lesser temp or both.

Jhhnn
09-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Just checked prices at Ken's- 250W jager heater + finnex controller, $52.67, shipped to my door via UPS ground. Hard to argue...

Probably about the same total shipped to Oklahoma.

Send in the stealth for replacement, of course, keep the new one as a spare... I really prefer heaters with a pilot light- the on/off cycling is a subliminal message of sorts...

Eddie
09-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Just checked prices at Ken's- 250W jager heater + finnex controller, $52.67, shipped to my door via UPS ground. Hard to argue...

Send in the stealth for replacement, of course, keep the new one as a spare... I really prefer heaters with a pilot light- the on/off cycling is a subliminal message of sorts...

Ditto, this way you can tell if its STUCK on, unlike the stealth. Its stealth alright. LOL

wadewc
09-01-2009, 11:13 PM
See Wade, this is what is wierd. Don't heaters usually fail that way, stuck open? Well, that's not the stories told here the last couple days. Hope you find some good option, either controllers or running 2 heaters at lesser temp or both.

Hi Lynn,

I run 2 heaters in my 75 but i only run 1 heater in my 30's. I will be ordering a heater and controllers know. I just took something for granted and learned a lesson. I was not aware of all the heater problems others have had. My other two heaters i have had for a year and never caused me any trouble. I am hoping by getting the controller it will be my extra insurance on taking care of this from happening again.

Thanks,
Wade

wadewc
09-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Hi Wade,

I have good experience using the Rena smart heaters replacing all the Marineland Stealth heaters at home.

Hi Francis,

I understand you wanting to change all your heaters for what you been hearing.

Wade

Jhhnn
09-01-2009, 11:33 PM
Glass heaters have another advantage over metal or opaque thermoplastic heaters unmentioned as of yet- internal condensation, a sign of trouble to come, is visible through the glass...

wadewc
09-01-2009, 11:38 PM
I did have the same thing happen to me . I decided to buy the most up to date Titanium heaters and Controllers in the WON line . I had the D58 controllers . I put all my five Adult females together in a 75 and went to Detroit to show our dogs for a couple of days. When I came back the females look very still and calm . They were upright and looked good but I sensed something was wrong , I put my fingers in the water and realized how high the temp was , I touched the fish and they were all dead . the Won customer service lady was a total JOKE !
Since then I have used Stealth heaters but have used two of lesser wattage per tank , it has worked well for me since then.

Sorry to hear about your lose. After reading all the threads i belive the key is having two heaters per tank. If you get two heaters that individual wattage can only handle half the tank but both can handle the tank with no problem is the way to go. Because let's face it if it is mechanical it will break down eventually and it would be very unlikely that both would fail at the same time. I had one heater that would take care of this 30 plus alittle. I wanted the temperature to be stable. One of my heaters is a Stealth and i have had it for a year with no problem. But my other heater is not and it has a light when it is on and that is a feature i like and that is why i am getting another brand.

Wade

Thanks Jhhnn, I will first check with the store to see if they will honor the warranty, Manufacture said they might but if they don't send it in, I will be getting store credit. I need FBW and dog food.

Wade

Ditto, this way you can tell if its STUCK on, unlike the stealth. Its stealth alright. LOL

Hi Eddie,

I agree i will be getting another heater that has a light. At least motel 6 leaves the light on. LOL

I saw you are going to the Dallas convention. Can't wait to meet you.

Thanks my friend,
Wade

H82LOS3
09-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Wow sorry about ur loss, im worried now because i have marineland visi stealth heater.

So to DISCUS OWNERS! what is the best heater to buy for my 80 gal tank?

Eddie
09-02-2009, 03:06 AM
Wow sorry about ur loss, im worried now because i have marineland visi stealth heater.

So to DISCUS OWNERS! what is the best heater to buy for my 80 gal tank?

I hear the Rena smart heaters are decent and also the Hydor in-line heaters. I use only Ehiem Jager and will forever. :D

Eddie

Darrell Ward
09-02-2009, 03:02 PM
The best thing about Jager heaters is that they can be recalibrated. How many of us have had heaters that became so far out of calibration, that they wouldn't heat your tank to temp. even when turned all the way up? Probably all of us at one time or another, if you've been in the hobby for a while. You can recalibrate the Jagers to perform like new. A big plus if you're running a bunch of smaller tanks like 55's or 75's.

ifixoldhouses
09-02-2009, 05:46 PM
I just had one of those "el cheapo" walmart 10 gallon heater go bad, it was only a month old, it was stuck open, had the water too hot for anything.
I think 2 small heaters is the way to go.

exv152
09-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Wade,
I contacted the manufacturer of those heaters and asked:
“efficient overheat-protected operation”, what exactly does this mean?

Their response was:
"This feature would mean that it will shut off the thermostat once it reaches a certain temperature", but they didn't elaborate on that.

I think Eheim Jagers are the way to go, and for added protection - with separate controllers.

Jhhnn
09-03-2009, 12:08 AM
This feature would mean that it will shut off the thermostat once it reaches a certain temperature

A certain temperature? Like what, the boiling point of water? the melting point of lead? or the surface of the sun?

rickztahone
09-03-2009, 03:28 AM
quick question in regards to controllers. i've been wanting to buy this heater from Jehmco:
ETCI-1R with a second receptacle.

i'm wondering if one of those controllers is the same as the one that Chad linked to http://www.kensfish.com/finnextitaniumheaters.html (all the way at the bottom). The finnex HC0800? can a second receptacle be added to run two heaters in unison like the one from Jehmco?
i see no point in over-paying for something if it's much cheaper somewhere else. anyone with any experience please elaborate

Jhhnn
09-03-2009, 09:11 AM
quick question in regards to controllers. i've been wanting to buy this heater from Jehmco:
ETCI-1R with a second receptacle.

i'm wondering if one of those controllers is the same as the one that Chad linked to http://www.kensfish.com/finnextitaniumheaters.html (all the way at the bottom). The finnex HC0800? can a second receptacle be added to run two heaters in unison like the one from Jehmco?
i see no point in over-paying for something if it's much cheaper somewhere else. anyone with any experience please elaborate

Googling up the finnex part# to find pix, it's apparent that those controllers are not *the same* as the rancos. Given the price, it seems unlikely they're of the same quality, either. That doesn't necessarily mean the finnex are junk, however. Using them to control conventional heaters (rather than heater elements) still provides backup temp control. Haven't used 'em, yet, so I really can't make an honest assessment.

I wouldn't try to add a receptacle to them, but rather use a 16 or 14 gauge power cord splitter. Amazon and others have 'em cheap, or buy locally.

The rancos are industrial grade process control hardware adapted for aquarium use- pretty much overkill except wrt large tanks and very expensive livestock. Not a bad thing, just pricey.

rickztahone
09-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Googling up the finnex part# to find pix, it's apparent that those controllers are not *the same* as the rancos. Given the price, it seems unlikely they're of the same quality, either. That doesn't necessarily mean the finnex are junk, however. Using them to control conventional heaters (rather than heater elements) still provides backup temp control. Haven't used 'em, yet, so I really can't make an honest assessment.

I wouldn't try to add a receptacle to them, but rather use a 16 or 14 gauge power cord splitter. Amazon and others have 'em cheap, or buy locally.

The rancos are industrial grade process control hardware adapted for aquarium use- pretty much overkill except wrt large tanks and very expensive livestock. Not a bad thing, just pricey.

thank you for the reply. i know it does seem like overkill but in our hobby is always best to be safe than sorry, i'm sure you agree. i think i will bite the bullet and get the controller soon to finally have my heaters in unison. as is i try to get them as close as possible and at times one is doing most of the heating. i was just hoping those finnex might be a cheaper alternative.

wadewc
09-03-2009, 01:13 PM
I just had one of those "el cheapo" walmart 10 gallon heater go bad, it was only a month old, it was stuck open, had the water too hot for anything.
I think 2 small heaters is the way to go.

I agree, It would be very unlikely that both heaters would go bad at the same time.

Wade

Wade,
I contacted the manufacturer of those heaters and asked:
“efficient overheat-protected operation”, what exactly does this mean?

Their response was:
"This feature would mean that it will shut off the thermostat once it reaches a certain temperature", but they didn't elaborate on that.

I think Eheim Jagers are the way to go, and for added protection - with separate controllers.

That is the same response that i recieved from them as well. I also eleaborated how i felt :mad:loosing my fish and there response was they have heard of problems with other heaters as well and they are sorry to hear about my fish dying but they will honor the warranty.

I agree Jagers are good heaters for what i have been researching. I am second guessing my thoughts about using a seperate controller because if the heater goes bad, and the heater does not have a light, what is going to happen if the controller goes bad as well. I really like the idea of two heaters sized to only handle half the capacity of the tank. If one heater sticks open you will not fry your fish. If one heater sticks open your tank will not get to cold. I am not bad mouthing any heater manufacture but my next heater will be glass with a light. That way i will notice moisture in the heater and i will also be looking at the light to help detect problems.

Thanks
Wade

A certain temperature? Like what, the boiling point of water? the melting point of lead? or the surface of the sun?

LOL That is what really puzzeled me. The person i talked with could not give me that answer. But i will tell you its not the boiling point of fish.

Thanks,
Wade

exv152
09-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Well I just got off the phone with jehmco and I ordered the Ranco ETCI-1R. Thanks wade, I'm now $75 poorer (just kiddin'), at least I know I won't be cooking any of my discus anytime soon, I guess the work and effort put into raising them doesn't have a cost.

Darrell Ward
09-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Well I just got off the phone with jehmco and I ordered the Ranco ETCI-1R. Thanks wade, I'm now $75 poorer, well, at least I know I won't be cooking any of my discus anytime soon, I guess the work and effort put into raising them doesn't have a cost.

You'll love it. I have 4 of these that I've been using for about 5 years now. I used to have 5, but a 1000 watt heater shorted out and fried the receptacle on one of them. I've just never gotten around to fixing it. These things are built to last. It's a safe bet to say you won't be frying any fish in that tank.

wadewc
09-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Well I just got off the phone with jehmco and I ordered the Ranco ETCI-1R. Thanks wade, I'm now $75 poorer (just kiddin'), at least I know I won't be cooking any of my discus anytime soon, I guess the work and effort put into raising them doesn't have a cost.

Do you find it as hard as i do spending money on something other than discus. LOL I am glad you go as much out of this post as i did.

Thanks,
Wade

exv152
09-04-2009, 09:03 AM
...LOL I am glad you go as much out of this post as i did...

I've read on other posts in this forum, and other forums, about Ranco controllers and the good things people have to say so it was easy. Unfortunate for you, but I'm glad you shared that with the rest of us, at least in my case it may have prevented a disaster (knock on wood as it's still in the mail).:o:confused:

akumastew
09-04-2009, 08:25 PM
I had my own "heater causing a sad day..."

My Eheim 2180 filter (the filter contains my heater) stopped working over night, and when I got up in the morning the temp had plummited. Twas a cold summer night in MN.

I re-started the filter, but when I got home from work, my cardinals were covered in little white dots.

Thankfully I had not added any Discus yet.

So the temp is back where it should be, some salt was added to the tank as well as some coppersafe. Hopefully, this will take care of the ich.

DrsFosterSmith were good enought to send me a replacement 2180 with overnight shipping at no cost to me. Which I thought was exceptional service.

This was not the welcome back to the hobby I was hoping for. ;)

Disgirl
09-04-2009, 09:25 PM
What a shame! But at least you caught the ick early and can treat it! You will have your new filter up and running quickly too. Yes, good thing no discus in there yet. Could have been a lot worse, you are lucky. Hang in there!
Barb :)

Upper Canada
09-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Here is my three cents worth. I have thrown out 9 Ebo Jager heaters in the past 4 years, all the 250 watt units, they should carry a warning label " fish cookers ", and why should you have to recalibrate it? Can't they make it accurate in the first place?

On the other hand I have had no problem thus far with the sub 150 watt Stealth, go figure. The best were the old Ebo Jagers ( green and still operating ) and the Sera brand with the 2ml glass, they still work fine for me and they don't require recalibration.

Bob
www.uppercanadadiscus.com

csarkar001
09-11-2009, 01:02 AM
i really like my digital aquatics reefkeeper lite controller (now sells for $99, i paid twice that a year ago). it can not only control your heaters but also your lights and pretty much whatever else you want. comes with a powerstrip that has 4 individually controllable outlets and an integrated temperature probe. i think it may be a better value than the ranco unit.

fishorama
09-11-2009, 08:49 AM
I think you jinxed my Stealth, it cooked my apistos this week. It's the first time I've had a visi-therm go bad. I had an old ebo jaeger that killed a fish when the suction cup failed & it fell on a fish. I had heard the newer eheim jaegers weren't up to par with the old but that was quite a few years ago.

Jhhnn
09-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Here is my three cents worth. I have thrown out 9 Ebo Jager heaters in the past 4 years, all the 250 watt units, they should carry a warning label " fish cookers ", and why should you have to recalibrate it? Can't they make it accurate in the first place?

On the other hand I have had no problem thus far with the sub 150 watt Stealth, go figure. The best were the old Ebo Jagers ( green and still operating ) and the Sera brand with the 2ml glass, they still work fine for me and they don't require recalibration.

Bob

Interesting wrt Sera heaters- I'll need a couple of heaters soon, and may give them a try. Not much market penetration here in the US, as few vendors carry them...

Anybody else have experience w/ Sera heaters?

Edit- Haven't had to change the calibration on my blue jagers, once *I* set it, but, yeh, I see that as a glaring QC issue...

Eddie
09-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Let me know how they work for you Jhhnn, if you do try them. Not bad looking and the price is decent.

http://www.aquacave.com/sera-200w-aquarium-heater-2239.html

Eddie

Chad Hughes
09-11-2009, 11:13 AM
I was talking to Bill at Inland Empire Discus last weekend and he brought it to my attention that the Ebo Jager heaters are NOT submersible. Attached is a picture of the heater in question.

These heaters are on the pricey side and have been regarded as one of the best. I now disagree with that and will NEVER buy these heaters again. Take a look at the top portion of the heater. It actually has a note that says not submersible and has a water line reference on it. Basically, you're supposed to use this like one of those heaters that hok on the back of the tank. Garbage IMO!

Best wishes!

Eddie
09-11-2009, 11:23 AM
I was talking to Bill at Inland Empire Discus last weekend and he brought it to my attention that the Ebo Jager heaters are NOT submersible. Attached is a picture of the heater in question.

These heaters are on the pricey side and have been regarded as one of the best. I now disagree with that and will NEVER buy these heaters again. Take a look at the top portion of the heater. It actually has a note that says not submersible and has a water line reference on it. Basically, you're supposed to use this like one of those heaters that hok on the back of the tank. Garbage IMO!

Best wishes!

Chad, thats old news my brother. They are submersible, they have just never changed the head pieces. When Eheim took over, I called the Rep and asked about it. The heaters were not UL listed initially and they had to put that warning on the heads. There are alot of posts on this subject back in 2004 or 2005.

Here is a link

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=42489&highlight=eheim+jager

Eddie

Chad Hughes
09-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Chad, thats old news my brother. They are submersible, they have just never changed the head pieces. When Eheim took over, I called the Rep and asked about it. The heaters were not UL listed initially and they had to put that warning on the heads. There are alot of posts on this subject back in 2004 or 2005.

Eddie

Hmm.... I usually never read past 2008. LOL! There is some really old, less applicable information past that. Speaking of old, what the heck is taking them so long to get their act together? It's nearly 2010 for the love of god!

Until the head is changed, I'll use a different heater. I just don't trust something that says one thing but means another for twice the price. I have had great expereince with other heaters in the past for a fraction of the price, but went with the Jager models due to the hype.

Just my $.02

Best wishes!

Eddie
09-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Hmm.... I usually never read past 2008. LOL! There is some really old, less applicable information past that. Speaking of old, what the heck is taking them so long to get their act together? It's nearly 2010 for the love of god!

Until the head is changed, I'll use a different heater. I just don't trust something that says one thing but means another for twice the price. I have had great expereince with other heaters in the past for a fraction of the price, but went with the Jager models due to the hype.

Just my $.02

Best wishes!

Its understandable, they need to change the head pieces and get it straight. I think I will give those Seras a try, they do look decent. Not that I need any at the moment, but maybe down the road.

Take care,

Eddie

wadewc
09-11-2009, 11:58 AM
I think you jinxed my Stealth, it cooked my apistos this week. It's the first time I've had a visi-therm go bad. I had an old ebo jaeger that killed a fish when the suction cup failed & it fell on a fish. I had heard the newer eheim jaegers weren't up to par with the old but that was quite a few years ago.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. If you read all the post you will notice there is alot of good information but alot of the information is based on one's experience. Just as you would ask anyones thoughts of a Ford, Chevy or a Dodge and see what you will get. I don't think there is anything out there that will be so reliable that you will never have to worry again because it is mechanical. My experience is if it is mechanical it will eventually break no matter what brand. Yes some manufactors make better products. I really like the idea having two heaters per tank. That way if one heater, sized properly, sticks on it will not boil the fish. I do this in my 75 gallon but not my 30 gallons. [Heaters have been ordered and i will have two in my 30 gallons.]

As Chad always says just my 2 cents.

Thanks,
Wade

seanyuki
09-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Very good prices for those Sera heaters and have dealt with Aquacave.com in the past and their customer services is top notch.....bought the Sera Discus Premium Flake Food & Sera Discus Color Blue/Red Granules .

http://www.aquacave.com/sera-discus-premium-flake-food-956.html

exv152
09-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Anything German - Eheim, Jäger, Müller & Pfleger (MP), Sera etc., make top notch aquarium products.

fishorama
09-11-2009, 05:20 PM
I just had a heater discussion with my lfs guy, He's recently had a lot of both renas & stealths returned, he used to like both. He had a Fluval I hadn't seen before & he hasn't tried, silver on the inside to reflect plants etc.
I may get a eheim jaeger next time I buy, Ken's prices seem inexpensive & he's local(ish) for me.

seanyuki
09-11-2009, 09:56 PM
I have seen the new Fluval E series heaters in Canada but they did not have the 300 watts in stock so went for the Rena Smart heaters and works fine unbreakable and with an indicator light too.

the Fluval E series heater as below....anyone here using them?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19658

I just had a heater discussion with my lfs guy, He's recently had a lot of both renas & stealths returned, he used to like both. He had a Fluval I hadn't seen before & he hasn't tried, silver on the inside to reflect plants etc.
I may get a eheim jaeger next time I buy, Ken's prices seem inexpensive & he's local(ish) for me.

Chad Hughes
09-12-2009, 12:12 AM
IMO prices on the "E" series fluval are rediculous!!! Who's going to pay $50 for a 50 watt heater? LOL! It's sort of nice the the price doesn't increase exponentially as the watage increases, but still, $50 for a heater? That baby better out live me! LOL!

Best wishes!

Jhhnn
09-12-2009, 06:57 AM
IMO prices on the "E" series fluval are rediculous!!! Who's going to pay $50 for a 50 watt heater? LOL! It's sort of nice the the price doesn't increase exponentially as the watage increases, but still, $50 for a heater? That baby better out live me! LOL!

Best wishes!

It's hard to tell if they really are worth the money, or if they're just another adventure in feature-rich marketing... it's not like I really need or want a lot of "features" in an aquarium heater...

I'd be more inclined to go with a finnex dial type controller from kensfish with a jager or sera heater plugged into it. It's about the same money, maybe a little less, and it's a plan with real backup...

I must admit that I'm intrigued by the Sera heaters, based on Bob's comments. Sometimes the guys who toil away in relative obscurity put out a better product than their high marketing profile competitors...

fishorama
09-12-2009, 08:36 AM
The Fluvals I saw weren't E series, I think M, not as expensive I think. The Seras do look nice & the link price seems good, I wish I knew more about reliability. I only know Sera from a few foods my fish weren't crazy about.

DiscusFreakaZoid
02-02-2010, 04:43 PM
is this one of the heaters people are referring to with a external control? Does having a external control make the heater safer and less prone to breaking and overheating?

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/4539/product.web

diamond_discus
02-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Marineland Stealth heater has lifetime warranty. I have quite a few that failed to work the past two years .. I returned them for replacement. They recently introduced the Stealth Pro ... So when I returned 4 bad old Stealth heaters, they sent me back the pro version.

I brought a few Jagar heater from Jehmco last summer. One went bad with the first few month. Not sure what number to call for warranty info. So I called John and he replaced one for me. Good service.

I found out that for whatever reason, I need to recalibrate the Jagar heater every once a while. And we must watch out for the calibration button. Make sure it won't pop out during water change. I had one happened like that and the heater light stay one for the entire day .. Luckily it's in winter time here at Los Angeles, and my tank is in the garage, so the water is up to 90 degree when I discovered that. I recalibrated the heater and push back the button. It's working fine again.

I switched to Jagar last year because my old Stealth heater doesn't have any light indicator. I had one malfunction one that I didn't know .. ended up killing a couple of my fishes ... Now the pro version is green/red light .. seems to be a better design. So, I don't know which one is better anymore.

Al M.
02-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Hey Discusfreakazoid

DO NOT GET THAT HEATER, the (VIA AQUA) I bought 4 of them, 1 worked for aboout A month the other 3 didn't work out of the box...........ALL BAD.....

Jhhnn
02-02-2010, 09:56 PM
is this one of the heaters people are referring to with a external control? Does having a external control make the heater safer and less prone to breaking and overheating?

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/4539/product.web

There's still no backup thermostat on a unit like that. I've been using the finnex controllers from ken hooked up to jager heaters for several months w/o problems. Once the jagers are calibrated, I set them to 88-90F, plug them into the finnex controllers set at a lower temp. If the finnex fails, sticks on, then the thermostat in the jager should take over, maintain it's internal setting. That's the theory, anyway. Substitute whatever heater you prefer to get the same kind of backup control. The titanium heater elements won't provide that, as they have no internal thermostat.

The calibration on the finnex dials isn't spot on, but it's within a couple of degrees. I compensate to keep the temp where I want it, measured from the ATI stick-on liquid crystal thermos. My one Ranco is obviously superior, industrial grade, but I still wouldn't be entirely comfortable using one as the only control...

DiscusFreakaZoid
02-03-2010, 01:14 AM
thanks for the heads up. I may just go hydor inline . Have a stealth and fluval at the moment.