PDA

View Full Version : Foaming on aquarium top

smiley
09-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Hi,

Just wanted to check if anyone could reason out why my aquarium top sort of foams up on the top when i switch on the airpump. I had changed water 50% just yesterday but still it is the same. Which test for water should i run? Any advice. The pH,Kh,gH, NO3 & NO2 are all optimum as per Sera test kit but i havent checked that one particular component which is affecting this and i am not sure which one is it :confused:

Usually the bubble breaks up when it reaches the top of the tank(and it usually does as well).. Just since a couple of days it just doesnt break and accumulates and covers the entire top. So i have switched off the pump as i feel the fishes might run out of oxygen circulation ( i could be wrong though :confused: ). But since there are a couple of plants in there i feel when i switch off the lights, they may emit more CO2 which will again reduce the O2 content

Any suggestions please?

smiley
09-02-2009, 12:18 AM
Would i need to run a full wc??? please advise

pcsb23
09-02-2009, 05:43 AM
Usually foaming indicates a high level of organics. Some foods like beefheart can create a film on the surface, looks a bit like an oil slick, which can foam a bit. Also some ferts can do this - I have seen this with easy carbo for example.

Regular and frequent water changes will help to manage this, minimum of 3 times a week @ 33% to 50% is a good start point. If your bio load is high, the frequency and volume may need to increase.

I would keep the air pump running too.

allan_mark76
09-02-2009, 01:53 PM
If you have a sponge filter I'd change that too. This normally happens to me and it's an indication that I should change my sponges.

~AKA~

smiley
09-03-2009, 02:25 AM
Thanks for the replies guys...will check it out today itself. SD rocks :)

tcyiu
09-03-2009, 08:11 PM
why my aquarium top sort of foams up on the top when i switch on the airpump....

You have rabid discus.

Just kidding :D

Tim