PDA

View Full Version : Information required on Breeding Discus

aussiefish
09-02-2009, 05:35 AM
My husband and I purchased 3 young adult Discus (Red Dragon, Blue Snakeskin Turq & White Butterfly) 3 weeks ago. Within a week of bringing them home in our established tank, the Red Dragon & Blue Turq were seen shuddering etc and have now paired up (we think). The Blue Turq is being very aggressive towards the White Butterfly we believe he may be the male (would this be correct?) The White Butterfly is now constantly hiding in the mallee root (ornament) that we have in the tank and only comes out for a feed. We noticed the Red Dragon and Blue Turq cleaning & kissing the vertical surface of the mallee root (the White Dragons new home) so we believe they may be preparing it - this was 2 weeks ago.They are still shuddering occasionally whilst next to each other (not as much as before) and kissing the vertical surface. What should we do? Would it be advisable to remove the "pair" and put them in a separate tank OR will they breed in the tank with all the other fish we already have in there? They don't seem to be bothered by any of the other fish in the tank (which also includes two juvenile Red Marlboro Discus). Also, what would the babies look like between a Red Dragon & a Blue Snakeskin Turq????? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I am attached to the White Butterfly it's a beautiful looking fish and I don't want to get rid of her.....

jaykne
09-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Sounds like they have paired off, you can leave them where they are for a while longer to make sure they are paired off but sometimes they will not spawn in a tank with other fish. Most of the time if they pair off they will spawn but I have a pair that will not spawn in the tank with other fish just pick and shake at each other. On the other hand if the are a pair and old enough if you put them in thier own tank they should spawn soon after. Larry

aussiefish
09-03-2009, 03:45 AM
Thanks for info Larry, what size tank would you recommend, my uncle installs windows and one of my clients fits out offices with partions, walls and full length glass panels and they always get rid of the old glass if they are doing a refit, so I have access to plenty of 8mm thick glass most panels are 9ft x
4ft so i can get it cut and siliconed together at any size for free.