PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a few questions

aussiefish
09-02-2009, 07:57 AM
Hello,
I have a 330 ltr tank and have intoduce 3 new discus to it, (1 x Red Dragon, 1 x Blue snakeskin turq & 1 x white butterfly) all are between 5'' to 6'' in diameter. I already had 2 x Malboro Reds in th tank about 2.5'' to 3'' in size. After about 1 week the RD & BST started to shudder next to one another, from what i have read is this them pairing up to mate or just pairing up ??

Eddie
09-02-2009, 08:55 AM
No, this is more fighting or act of aggression. Someone wants to be the alpha fish.

When you say shudder, do you mean like shiver or just kind of move side to side?

Eddie

jaykne
09-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Yes when they pair off you will see them stay togather most the time, and shaking at each other, also picking at somthing like the glass or intake someplace cleaning it of to lay eggs. Larry

jaykne
09-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Eddie is also right, all depends just watch them see what happens. Larry

Eddie
09-02-2009, 09:14 AM
It is not uncommon for pairs to shudder at each other by all means but there is alot more involved, you will get the bowing, the fish will be cleaning an area and shuddering or shaking.

No no, you are right Larry, I am probably misunderstanding the word shudder, just asked about it in the first reply. :)

Eddie

aussiefish
09-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Yes the RD and BST are both kissing a vertical surface (large ornamental root of mangrove) they do seem to be sticking together and the BST is very aggresive towards the white butterfly.

aussiefish
09-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Forgot to say, yes like a short shiver next to one another. They dont seem to aggresive towards the 2 small Malboros, I think this is because they are juviniles. The white butterfly hides in the mangrove root all the time and i have to try to feed it seperetly to the other 2 as it is to scared to come out any other time.

Eddie
09-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Forgot to say, yes like a short shiver next to one another. They dont seem to aggresive towards the 2 small Malboros, I think this is because they are juviniles. The white butterfly hides in the mangrove root all the time and i have to try to feed it seperetly to the other 2 as it is to scared to come out any other time.

Sounds like they are pairing up.

Eddie