PDA

View Full Version : Thin baby discus found in pet store

marfa59
09-03-2009, 08:50 AM
I was at a local pet store and spotted a discus about the size of a quarter and very, very thin. It was in a tank with some eel like fish I have never seen before hiding in a decoration. I ask the employee about how often they were fed and I was told every other day. I knew I had to get that baby out of there. I brought it home and it is in a qt tank, eating well but still hiding. I am feeding it 5 small feedings a day. My question is after it has been in there for about a month should I then introduce it into my tank of juvie discus or wait until it has gotten bigger.
Connie

mkv
09-03-2009, 09:25 AM
QT a min of 6 weeks to make sure you are not risking introducing disease to your tank. What size are your juvies, some people will advise not to mix fishes with a big gap in size as the smaller ones will more likely be picked on and affect their development. Just MIO.

marfa59
09-03-2009, 09:28 AM
One tank has 4-5 inch discus and the other has 2-3 inch. That's what I was worried about.

poconogal
09-03-2009, 09:36 AM
I would wait longer and grow him out more. Also, be very careful when doing tank maintenance so you don't contaminate your main tank. Use separate equipment, rinse hands and arms with rubbing alcohol and always work on the main tank first, then on the QT.