PDA

View Full Version : Can Discus Survive off of just Bloodworms?

CammieTime
09-04-2009, 12:46 PM
So my discus go bizerk over bloodworms and avoid flake food/pellets/seafood mix. If they ate just bloodworms, and nothing else, would they still get really BIG and be healthy?

csarkar001
09-04-2009, 12:56 PM
no. they are much better off on a varied diet. untergasser's book on "Discus Health" explains why varied diets are important for discus. if you have the stomach for it, not feeding your fish for a few days and then introducing new foods will eventually work.

Scribbles
09-04-2009, 01:45 PM
I agree. Discus and BW are like little kids and cookies. Kids would live on only cookies if you let them but it wouldn't be a healthy diet.

Chris

Peachtree Discus
09-04-2009, 02:35 PM
....Discus and BW are like little kids and cookies....

good analogy

machine77
09-04-2009, 04:27 PM
I have a one fish that refuses to eat anything else but bloodworms. I have tried everything to get this fish to eat flakes, bh and bloodworms like all my other fish but it wont. My point is yes it can, but its not recomended if the fish will eat other types of food! hope this helps. :)

steve.ryall
09-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Stop feeding it then.....

Starve all your fish for 3 to 4 days then feed the food of YOUR choice. It will eat what you then give it. Sounds hard, but it works.

Elite Aquaria
09-04-2009, 05:53 PM
I agree with the others...The fish will not reach max potential with only a Blood Worm diet...

hedut
09-04-2009, 06:41 PM
I been try grow all my discus with FBW for few months and the only miss is the color not so bright or color full :p:p:p but if you add some tetra will be a bit better and if you give the BH is :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: .
one thing the will grow but depend on your WC :D:D:D.
Like Eddie said "WATER IS THE KEY"

hendri

tcyiu
09-04-2009, 07:10 PM
It makes sense that varied diet that mimics what they evolved to consume would be best. But what of the experience of the early discus pioneers? Didn't they feed live CBW (and even tubifex) exclusively??

Isn't it a case of where a live animal will impart many nutrients to the consumer? Which is why Aleuts who feed only on just killed meats can be healthy without vegetables.

So in theory, couldn't live CBW be used exclusively for prolonged periods?

Tim

Ardan
09-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Try some pellet foods. I feed mine tetrabits and Omega One super Color small pellets, they eat it well.
Also some beefheart/seafood mix.
And frozen bloodworms.

hth
Ardan

David Rose
09-05-2009, 01:48 PM
When I've had the same problem, I found if I introduced the new food in the first feeding of the day when they were most hungry, they resisted at first but gradually consumed it within the hour. After a few days they started to feed agressively on the new food as well. I did continue with the FBW for the remainder of their daily meals at first.

Just one idea.

Eddie
09-05-2009, 07:24 PM
no

KJoFan
09-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Not to change the subject but, would it be possible to get max potential or very close to it with feeding a beefheart/seafood mix exclusively? That is, if it were fortified with vitamins and you incorporated a fair amount of quality flake food in it?

Just a wondering on my part out of curiosity. :D

Eddie
09-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Not to change the subject but, would it be possible to get max potential or very close to it with feeding a beefheart/seafood mix exclusively? That is, if it were fortified with vitamins and you incorporated a fair amount of quality flake food in it?

Just a wondering on my part out of curiosity. :D

Yes

KJoFan
09-05-2009, 11:06 PM
That would be my assessment too, but I'm no expert. ;)

I have been starting to do that with my fish, mostly just to save some $$. Where I was feeding mix 1-2 times per day and FBW or FMS 2-3 times per day, I am now feeding my mix 3-4 times per day and FBW or FMS as an after water change/bedtime snack.

It seems like they are less hungry this way and keep nice full bellies for longer.

Eddie
09-05-2009, 11:11 PM
That would be my assessment too, but I'm no expert. ;)

I have been starting to do that with my fish, mostly just to save some $$. Where I was feeding mix 1-2 times per day and FBW or FMS 2-3 times per day, I am now feeding my mix 3-4 times per day and FBW or FMS as an after water change/bedtime snack.

It seems like they are less hungry this way and keep nice full bellies for longer.

I mean if you have a well rounded mix, they won't need anything else. I do however like to feed a good flake food as a supplement between large meals. I'm still a novice so take all this with a grain of salt. ;)

Eddie

KJoFan
09-05-2009, 11:14 PM
I do have some flake I'd like to get them to eat but thus far I've only gotten one tank to go for it at all, the others aren't too interested. And honestly I haven't put much time/effort into getting them to take it.

I think if I would incorporate a flake in the rotation I'd go for something specialized (i.e. beef heart flake or something of the like) rather than a general staple flake, because they are already getting that in the mix.

But like you, I am only a novice. ;)

Eddie
09-05-2009, 11:18 PM
I do have some flake I'd like to get them to eat but thus far I've only gotten one tank to go for it at all, the others aren't too interested. And honestly I haven't put much time/effort into getting them to take it.

I think if I would incorporate a flake in the rotation I'd go for something specialized (i.e. beef heart flake or something of the like) rather than a general staple flake, because they are already getting that in the mix.

But like you, I am only a novice. ;)

I use Prime Reef which is really good, and Garlic Flake from Angel Plus.

Eddie

KJoFan
09-05-2009, 11:23 PM
I have Garlic Flake from Angels Plus, I haven't busted it open yet. I use their Staple Flake in my mix. I have...the Hi-Pro Growth as well, and probably something else I can't think of at the moment. It would be good to get them eating the Garlic Flake and Hi-Pro as in-between snacks.

Eddie
09-05-2009, 11:25 PM
I have Garlic Flake from Angels Plus, I haven't busted it open yet. I use their Staple Flake in my mix. I have...the Hi-Pro Growth as well, and probably something else I can't think of at the moment. It would be good to get them eating the Garlic Flake and Hi-Pro as in-between snacks.

Yup, I've used High Pro but find my fish go more crazy for Prime Reef and its got some extra goodies in it. ;)

Eddie

KJoFan
09-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Oooh extra goodies. Maybe I should try it. ;)

April
09-07-2009, 01:03 PM
ocean nutrition formula one flake or prime reef they go for quite well. feed just a tad first thing in the morning..they will pick at first..but within a day or so go for it well. works best with a large group of discus..as competition makes them go for foods with more vigor.

H82LOS3
09-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the info everyone