PDA

View Full Version : I think I have killed her

lpiasente
09-04-2009, 06:02 PM
I didn't plug the heater back in on Thursday night when I cleaned her tank. I got up this morning and it is 16 degrees. Her breathing is slow. I have put her in a bucket and slowly tubing warm water in and cold water out. What else can I do. I don't want her to die. Will she recover????

lpiasente
09-04-2009, 06:17 PM
I'm talking about sally the head stander by the way

TankWatcher
09-04-2009, 06:30 PM
Oh, not Sally. Somehow she seems a special lady. I hope she pulls through for you. I wish I had additional advice, but what you are doing seems a good plan to me. I have made that same mistake and gotten away with it and I hope it's the same with you.

Where my tank heater is an internal one, I now have place it horizontally on the back wall, lower than the level where I remove water. That way, I don't need to turn the heater off.

lpiasente
09-04-2009, 06:46 PM
I don't usually turn the heater off that's why I forgot to tun it on. When I found her this morning she was tipped over and her breathing was almost not happening at all, I thought finally this headstanding thing has got her and she was slowly passing away. ( am I silly to have cried like a baby) I slowly took the temp up to 25 in the bucket and the tank. I have put her in the tank and letting the heater bring it up further slowly. Her breathing has become much better so fingers crossed. I have to go out I can't stand to watch her and I can't believe that a fish has got me like this. What a silly girl I am.:crazy:

TankWatcher
09-04-2009, 06:58 PM
( am I silly to have cried like a baby) ..... I can't believe that a fish has got me like this. What a silly girl I am.:crazy:
Not silly or crazy at all Leanne. I have blubbered like a baby over my discus several times this year. Just ask my husband, who has to witness it. He doesn't "get it" but we SD members "get it" and we know how you feel.

I'm glad Sally seems better. Let us know how she is later.

All the best

lpiasente
09-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks Robyn that makes me feel better. She is swimming very eratically (spelling). Not sure if it's shock. I will post later today when I get home. Hope fully she will be looking better

Eddie
09-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Sorry to hear Leanne, hope she is alright.

Eddie

TankWatcher
09-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Oh, and you can also put temperature alarm on the tank. It beeps at you when the waer temp is outside of the limits you set.

Scribbles
09-04-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your discus. I hope that she pulls through. It sounds like you two have been through alot together. I think that we have all cried over sick or hurt discus. They aren't just some old fish, they are cherished pets. Best of luck with her.

Chris

Disgirl
09-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Ditto what Chris said! I have been there too. Hope she pulls through,
Barb

lpiasente
09-05-2009, 05:56 AM
I got home an hour ago and she seems ok. She swam over to me straight away. (god lover her) She wont eat yet, not even live food and that has never ever happened and one of her eyes are a little cloudy. Could be a scratch or the start of something else. I will see in the morning. These fishies are certainally tough as I really thought she had died this morning as at one stage her gill movement had slowed so much I thought it had stopped. Poor girl she must have been very very cold. Heres hoping tihngs keep getting better.

Thank you all for understanding how upset I was. Not everyone gets how you can get so upset over a fish.

TankWatcher
09-05-2009, 06:54 AM
Sounds promising. What about adding some salt in the morning, if the eye is still cloudy.

David Rose
09-05-2009, 07:00 AM
So glad she is showing signs of improving. I have my fingers crossed!

Best of luck!

Eddie
09-05-2009, 07:05 AM
I got home an hour ago and she seems ok. She swam over to me straight away. (god lover her) She wont eat yet, not even live food and that has never ever happened and one of her eyes are a little cloudy. Could be a scratch or the start of something else. I will see in the morning. These fishies are certainally tough as I really thought she had died this morning as at one stage her gill movement had slowed so much I thought it had stopped. Poor girl she must have been very very cold. Heres hoping tihngs keep getting better.

Thank you all for understanding how upset I was. Not everyone gets how you can get so upset over a fish.

Oh, I know...the wife does not even want to be in the same continent as me, when something is wrong with my fish. :o

Hope she comes around,

Eddie

mikel
09-05-2009, 07:05 AM
This is so traumatic! best of luck to you and the little head stander! They are tough little cookies, and she will get through this. mike:):)

lpiasente
09-05-2009, 07:20 AM
Sounds promising. What about adding some salt in the morning, if the eye is still cloudy.

Will do Robyn, thanks

poconogal
09-05-2009, 12:21 PM
I think Sally will be fine. I've had Discus shipped and arrive shipped in cold water (around 60 degrees) and they were fine. I'd just keep a watchful eye out for parasites, flukes and the like or possibly external bacterial issues.

csarkar001
09-05-2009, 01:49 PM
been there, done that. here is what i do now:

http://www.digitalaquatics.com/

one of the nice things about investing in a controller is that when you put the tank into "standby" mode to clean it, it turns off the heater and filter and anything else you want. but if you forget to take the tank out of standby mode, it automatically goes back to normal mode after an hour.

as i age and become more senile (i'm 46), i rely on techonolgy more and more ...

Daniella
09-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Nice!!

one of the nice things about investing in a controller is that when you put the tank into "standby" mode to clean it, it turns off the heater and filter and anything else you want. but if you forget to take the tank out of standby mode, it automatically goes back to normal mode after an hour.

as i age and become more senile (i'm 46), i rely on techonolgy more and more ...

frenchie100
09-06-2009, 01:06 AM

That sounds really good!

My husband doesn't understand why I would cry over my fish. Fish, dog, cat, any animal that is part of my family will make me cry! IMO it is the healthy way to deal with stress :D!

I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Good luck,

Julie :)

rickztahone
09-06-2009, 01:52 AM

is that somewhat like the ranco temp controller that can sync two heaters in unison or is just to plug things into w/ a temp probe?

smiley
09-06-2009, 02:37 AM
Oh, I know...the wife does not even want to be in the same continent as me, when something is wrong with my fish. :o

I second that :o

Maybe thats why they say opposite attract :p

Hope your fish comes out well in good health

lpiasente
09-06-2009, 08:15 AM
She is a trooper, she finally ate today and it looks like nothing has ever happened. Very lucky

Eddie
09-06-2009, 08:20 AM
She is a trooper, she finally ate today and it looks like nothing has ever happened. Very lucky

Thats excellent news! Glad it all worked out and I bet you are happy happy!!! ;)

Eddie

frenchie100
09-06-2009, 12:54 PM

Wohoooo!!!! :):):)

Scribbles
09-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Congratulations!

Chris

csarkar001
09-06-2009, 08:20 PM
is that somewhat like the ranco temp controller that can sync two heaters in unison or is just to plug things into w/ a temp probe?

no, its a full blown controller. it turns stuff off during water changes, controls my heaters, controls the lights (even turns them off if the tank gets too hot). monitors my pH.

price has come way down; i'm a bit surprised not more people in the discus hobby use one.