PDA

View Full Version : What a terrific forum!

Reallykeenondiscus
09-07-2009, 12:17 AM
My name is Young and I used to raise and breed discus as a hobby about 8 years ago. With work and a young family, I just didn't have the time to maintain my fish.

I'm here in Toronto and back then there weren't many local breeders or hobbyist from which you could get good stock. If this forum was around then it sure would have made my life a lot easier. Unfortunately not a lot of resources available locally and you had to learn the hard through trial and error...this forum is absolutely fabulous and makes me want to start up again! I'll keep reading the posts for now and went the "itch" gets unbearable, perhaps I'll take the plunge again.

April
09-07-2009, 12:30 AM
hello and welcome to the forum. glad you found us. discus are in the blood. sometimes we need to step back for a time..especially with young families..but i have no doubt you will return one day soon. i believe info and standards have risen due to forums and educating , info and alot of great advice and contacts.
theres alot of great people on here..who have spent alot of time learning, scientific studies, breeding, etc etc.
ive seen alot of newbies succeed due to valuable info . as yyou said..before alot learnt with alot of trial and error..at least now you can have contact with their learning curve and different tips. even just other people in your area who know the water etc.

Eddie
09-07-2009, 12:31 AM
My name is Young and I used to raise and breed discus as a hobby about 8 years ago. With work and a young family, I just didn't have the time to maintain my fish.

I'm here in Toronto and back then there weren't many local breeders or hobbyist from which you could get good stock. If this forum was around then it sure would have made my life a lot easier. Unfortunately not a lot of resources available locally and you had to learn the hard through trial and error...this forum is absolutely fabulous and makes me want to start up again! I'll keep reading the posts for now and went the "itch" gets unbearable, perhaps I'll take the plunge again.

Glad to meet you! Welcome to Simply, the best discus website! Lots of good people here and tons of information. All the Simply Sponsors are top notch and you'll be well impressed with the stock and service each of them have to offer. I look forward to seeing you around!

Take care,

Eddie

Darren's Discus
09-07-2009, 01:36 AM
Welcome to simply Young,
once their in your blood you never really leave the hobby,you just take a break !

cheers

frenchie100
09-07-2009, 03:40 AM

Yes this is a wonderful site! I would have failed miserably at this hobby if it wasn't for this forum!

Welcome to SD!

Julie :)

Lytehouse
09-07-2009, 08:50 AM
+! on everything you said Reallykeenondiscus

The people here have been great to get to know across the board.... both locally, across the country and across the world.

TURBOFROG
09-07-2009, 11:51 AM
I agree!! This is a great forum.....I have learned alot and has made it a great hobby for me!

Scribbles
09-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Welcome aboard Young! I think that you will find good info., community, and sponsers here.

Chris

roclement
09-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Welcome!

I took a break as well and now I am back! Full bore! Give yourself some time, get situated, find a local breeder (April!), and get your plan together! maybe involve the Young family (pun intended) in the Hobby as well!

Rodrigo

seasiderick
09-07-2009, 03:22 PM

I have been keeping these fish off and on for twenty years and took a break for few years and now I am like a kid in a candy store I could never afford or find the kind of stock that is out there now, anyways welcome and enjoy the big candy store lol Rick

smiley
09-07-2009, 06:09 PM
This is like a ' discus - google' site to me :)

I kinda breathe some of these days coz of this site & its wonderful team