PDA

View Full Version : Question on Metronidazole powder from Jehmco

swong
09-07-2009, 03:13 AM
Hi,
I bought Metronidazole powder from Jehmco. The treatment instruction from the label indicated 1/4 teapon per 41 gal (189mg per 10 gal). When doing the calculation, it doesn't make sense. To treat 40 gal, I should use 189mg x 4 = 756 mg. I can't believe 1/4 teaspon would weight 756 mg.
Also, 756 mg to treat 40 gal seems too light as well...
Any expert can give some advice?

Eddie
09-07-2009, 03:16 AM
Hi,
I bought Metronidazole powder from Jehmco. The treatment instruction from the label indicated 1/4 teapon per 41 gal (189mg per 10 gal). When doing the calculation, it doesn't make sense. To treat 40 gal, I should use 189mg x 4 = 756 mg. I can't believe 1/4 teaspon would weight 756 mg.

Check Post #9 from Kacey

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=71025&highlight=jehmco+metro

poconogal
09-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Not an expert, but...

Regular dosage is 1/4 tsp. per 20 gals. twice a day, for 5 days, with 50% WC before the second dose. Temp at 92-93. Also add Epsom Salt to the tank as well for the first 2 days, 2 tbsp. per 10 gals. Acts as a laxative and helps clean them out.

MSD
09-07-2009, 01:04 PM
I spoke to John at Jehmco about dosing when I used Metro and he basically stated that doubling the dose, YOUR risk not mine, was what keepers were doing. Now, I did use a flat teaspoon for 60 gallons, 55 gal + sump twice a day for 5 days, and had success. That said, increasing doses can increase immunity of the bacteria to the drug possibly. I only did the treatment one time, it got my fish eating again and restored their waste to normal. You can never read or study enough about this, and ask the more experienced more question. Keepers of a few tanks for a short time are NOT a good source of info, ask your breeder/importer or the "true" experts on here.

poconogal
09-07-2009, 01:35 PM
I agree that doubling the dose can lead to immunity of bacteria to the medication. For that reason, I don't recommend double dosing initially. I recommend the regular dose previously posted, twice a day. For very difficult cases of hex, doubling the dose may be the only effective way to treat, but only after treatment using the regular (normal) dose has been completed and has not been successful.

And before any treatment is given for hex, I recommend increasing WCs since many times improvement in their water will be all that's needed.

MSD
09-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Oh you are one of the "White Hats" Connie. ;)

poconogal
09-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Well, I don't wear hats, but if I did, it'd be a white one, I like white! LOL!! And may I say good to see you back, Mark!

Daniella
09-07-2009, 02:07 PM
why not? 1 teaspoon of PP is 7 grams, which is 7000 mg, so 756mg is not even one gram. I don't see why it does not make sense. That would mean that a teaspoon of metro weight 3.2 grams which make sense since metro is really fluffy and light.

When I treated my fish I used the Jehmco metro at recommanded dose on the bottle and it worked very well. I had a fish what was not eating for 5 weeks and now that fish has regained the weight and eat like a little piglet :)

Hi,

MSD
09-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Thanks Connie, its like I never left.....

Eddie
09-07-2009, 05:46 PM
why not? 1 teaspoon of PP is 7 grams, which is 7000 mg, so 756mg is not even one gram. I don't see why it does not make sense. That would mean that a teaspoon of metro weight 3.2 grams which make sense since metro is really fluffy and light.

When I treated my fish I used the Jehmco metro at recommanded dose on the bottle and it worked very well. I had a fish what was not eating for 5 weeks and now that fish has regained the weight and eat like a little piglet :)

You treated your fish with metro too! I thought you used parasite clear. :confused:

Eddie

Daniella
09-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Parasite clear did not work. I think the concentration of metro in it is probably not enough. I then bought metro from Jehmco and that worked like a charm. The fish started to eat about 2 to 3 days after treatment and has gained nearly all the weight back.

It was so thin it was just bone and flesh..I called it my pankake. I never thought it would survive but it did and it is growing now.

BTW, anyone who wants to buy metronidazole in Canada should consider jehmco instead of local canadian store or even canadian online store. I bought Seachem 5 grams of metro from Big Al online for 10$can and got 100 grams for 17$can from Jehmco. It would have cost me 200$ to get the same thing from big Al! what a ripoff! Big big ripoff.

You treated your fish with metro too! I thought you used parasite clear. :confused:

Eddie

Eddie
09-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Parasite clear did not work. I think the concentration of metro in it is probably not enough. I then bought metro from Jehmco and that worked like a charm. The fish started to eat about 2 to 3 days after treatment and has gained nearly all the weight back.

It was so thin it was just bone and flesh..I called it my pankake. I never thought it would survive but it did and it is growing now.

Interesting

swong
09-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks everybody.
I started to treat them 1/2 tsp per 40gal. once a day. Doubling the Jehmco's recommedned dosage. Will see how it goes.