PDA

View Full Version : What do you think these white spots are?

David Rose
09-08-2009, 06:41 PM
A couple of my juvies have developed a couple of white spots only on there caudal and or dorsal fins that don't seem to be spreading or agitating either fish. They appeared and seem to fade away, but haven't gone entirely.

Any ideas what these white spots are? Thanks for your feedback in advance!

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac51/dlr1961_photos/SM1.jpg
http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac51/dlr1961_photos/SM2.jpg
http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac51/dlr1961_photos/BD1.jpg

poconogal
09-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Ah, the good ole' white spot/dot thing... they appear, they disappear, sometimes people get rid of them with FMG, sometimes a salt dip, many times they just go away by themselves after increasing WCs... what are they? This has been asked many times, by other posters, and I don't think I've read anywhere that anyone knows exactly what they are, just that they do go away, David.

David Rose
09-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Ah, the good ole' white spot/dot thing... they appear, they disappear, sometimes people get rid of them with FMG, sometimes a salt dip, many times they just go away by themselves after increasing WCs... what are they? This has been asked many times, by other posters, and I don't think I've read anywhere that anyone knows exactly what they are, just that they do go away, David.

Hmmm, sounds like Discus acne, eh? ;)

Eddie
09-08-2009, 09:43 PM
More or less. You can add a little salt to the water and as Connie mentioned, keeping on top of the water changes, should clear them up. No worries. ;)

Eddie

David Rose
09-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks Connie and Eddie your comments. :)

I had already added salt and do regular water changes at 50% every other day, which should be more than adequate.

Darrell Ward
09-09-2009, 08:04 PM

LOL! So true. Must be the discus way of telling us to up the water changes! Seriously, they seem to go away after big water changes. I only see them if I have to go out of town or something and skip a water change or two. When I get my water changes back on track, they magically disappear.

David Rose
09-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Hmmm, well if my juvies need more than 160gals of fresh water a week, they're going to have to learn how to order Proactiv for their acne :D

Daniella
09-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Mine also go away on their own.

Discus-Hans
09-09-2009, 09:51 PM
I've seen them before, long threads have been spend about them. I've had them on 1 or 2 Discus, scrapped them off and put them under the microscope, nothing alive to find. No freaking idea, we do a lot of water changes and I THINK it has nothing to do with it.

What I did is catch the Discus, take a knife and just scrape them off, go ALWAYS from head to tail and NOT against the scales !!!! when you scrape, problem gone, never came back.

What it is?? >>>>>>>>>> No idea,

Hans

Oepsssssssssssssssss I see you only have them on the fins?????? I was talking about those you also see on the body of the Discus

David Rose
09-09-2009, 11:41 PM
"Knives"! ROFL...Knives and I just don't go together... you should see me try to peel a potato. I end up with one frie and the rest still attached to the skin laying in the sink. :( Thank goodness for those little scrapper thingys. Will that work? :D (just kidding)

I've seen them before, long threads have been spend about them. I've had them on 1 or 2 Discus, scrapped them off and put them under the microscope, nothing alive to find. No freaking idea, we do a lot of water changes and I THINK it has nothing to do with it.

What I did is catch the Discus, take a knife and just scrape them off, go ALWAYS from head to tail and NOT against the scales !!!! when you scrape, problem gone, never came back.

What it is?? >>>>>>>>>> No idea,

Hans

Oepsssssssssssssssss I see you only have them on the fins?????? I was talking about those you also see on the body of the Discus

Discus-Hans
09-09-2009, 11:51 PM
David,

don't worry, it will grow back..............lol............just kidding here.

Hans

poconogal
09-10-2009, 07:07 AM
"Knives"! ROFL...Knives and I just don't go together... you should see me try to peel a potato. I end up with one frie and the rest still attached to the skin laying in the sink. :( Thank goodness for those little scrapper thingys. Will that work? :D (just kidding)
David, think of the possibilities... peel and eat Discus! :D:D:D

David Rose
09-10-2009, 10:43 AM
David, think of the possibilities... peel and eat Discus! :D:D:D

Not my babies...they have it really good here! :p