PDA

View Full Version : How to identify

darbex
09-08-2009, 11:36 PM
I bought a bunch of tetras roughly 60 rummy noses and cardinals that I threw into a QT tank. Ever since I got them on Friday I have been pulling out about 5 or so a day on average and now I am down to about 40. For all purposes I can not tell why. Should I treat them with something what do you all think?

Ardan
09-09-2009, 06:37 AM
first test the water for ammonia and nitrite.
hth
Ardan

lkevin
09-09-2009, 08:21 AM
In my experience, and that of others I have known, rummies are very fragile little fish and do not travel well.The sort of losses are you sustaining is pretty normal, but things should settle by the end of the first week. I recently bought ~30 and had daily deaths for the first several days.

It is entirely possible there is nothing wrong at all with them and the weak ones just couldn't take all the travel. Having them in qt is ideal, so you are in good shape.

Best of luck with them, I'm sure everything is fine.

darbex
09-09-2009, 10:26 AM
This morning I just noticed that two rummy noses were about to die and half their bodies were a whitish color not the normal silver. And one cardinal had a big light blue/white blotch on its back. I havent seen this in any of the other fish I pulled out that were dead. Should I be worried about some sort of infection?

Terrybo
09-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Did you have them shipped in, or purchase from a lfs?

Terry

darbex
09-09-2009, 10:14 PM
lfs

pcsb23
09-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Likely that there is a significant difference between the water params of the lfs and yours, even if you live close by. These fish are not tolerant of large changes to parameters. Like Ardan says check for ammonia and nitrite as they are also intolerant of these too. Other wise clean stable water and sit tight.

Terrybo
09-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Call the lfs and ask them about it. (Or go by and check the remaining fish in their tanks). If their fish are fine, then it is something in your water. I bought rummynose and cardinals from HAW 2 weeks ago and they are all doing great.

Terry

darbex
09-18-2009, 12:36 PM
I think I have found the ailment Neon Tetra Disease (NTD) which isnt good as there doesnt seem to be a reliable cure. Does anyone know about NTD? How it can appear. Also I read that Discus cannot contract NTD but my worry is can they be carriers. I have Discus QT with tetras that have it since I didnt have more than one QT tank when I had my issues with my Discus but since they are doing well I will be puting them in my main tank that has tetras and I dont want to spread NTD to them if it happens to hitchhike with the Discus.

poconogal
09-18-2009, 01:06 PM
A few years ago I had Cardinals that developed NTD. They were in the same tank as my Rummies. The Rummies never developed it and the progression finally stopped with the Cardinals. Just a few months ago my last Cardinal died of old age. Have you checked your water parameters? Rummies are sensitive to water quality and have been called canaries in a coal mine when it comes to that, and their little red noses will become pale as an indicator when something is off with the water. I've never lost a Rummy yet after bringing them home from the LFS.

darbex
09-18-2009, 02:06 PM
I do daily WC of about 60% on this QT tank since my discus were in there battling with issues.