PDA

View Full Version : can you help me fix this??

Cooldadddyfunk286
09-08-2009, 11:44 PM
hey guys. so Im setting up my new (used) 75 gal tank...the only thing wrong with it is this center brace piece on the top is kind of split, it still is pretty sturdy, but I want to fix this up before putting on my heavy glass tops and light. I know what I gotta do to fix it, I just dont know what to use? I was thinking just to crazy glue it, but then I was thinkin, "will this somehow kill my fish?" the glue would be fully dried, and the way I would apply it in the middle, it should never really make contact with the water. but if its not a good idea, I dont wanna risk it.

any ideas of what would be good and safe to seal this thing up??

thanks!! heres some pics

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/cooldaddyfunk/tankbrace1.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/cooldaddyfunk/tankbrace2.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/cooldaddyfunk/tankbrace3.jpg

rickztahone
09-09-2009, 12:08 AM
i would honestly silicone the cr@p out of it. that's just my opinion though and i'm sure there might be better ways to solve this problem. i'd steer clear of crazy glue however

Jhhnn
09-09-2009, 12:12 AM
I had similar but worse issues w/ a used 75 gal.

One way to fix it, for sure, is to install an old-school glass center brace under the existing plastic brace. Mine is 3/8" thick, 8" wide, and 1/16" shorter than the aquarium sides. A good glass shop will cut it and sand the edges for a surprisingly low price.

Scrape/cut off the silicone seal up under the rim in the target area, also scrape/clean the underside of the brace. Clean it super well w/ acetone or alcohol, silicone seal the glass brace in place to the tank, rim, and existing brace, but particularly to the tank itself. Clamp it in place, let sit for a week...

The center brace is more than a place to sit the glass top pieces- it also prevents the aquarium from bowing out in the center. There's a lot of weight behind that, so it's better to be safe than sorry.

kareen
09-09-2009, 12:20 AM
Yes you can fix it with some stuff called HoldFast Epoxy Stick it is safe for your fish Dr.Foster&Smith has it ,That fish place and Pet Solutions all sell it I have use it and it works great, good luck with your tank. Karen

Cooldadddyfunk286
09-09-2009, 12:26 AM
thank you Kareen, sounds like a good idea! yeah Im gonna stay away from the glue idea....maybe I can silicone it. I have never done that before. the glass idea sounds cool, but I cant really picture it. Im not a very handy-man. I would say the easiest most effective route would be my best bet. I understand what you mean about the importance of the center brace tho. any other ideas guys??

thank you!

David Rose
09-09-2009, 05:52 PM
You can pick up some "Marine epoxy" at your local hardware. The info on the package explains the safety paremeters for this kind of project.

Best,

bs6749
09-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Glue/silicone it and then tighten a hose clamp or similar clamp around it so that it sticks, then remove the clamp. I was also thinking along the lines of reinforcing it with a thick plexiglass piece mounted under the current brace.

Dkarc@Aol.com
09-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Z-Spar Marine Epoxy fixes all.....the stuff is more universal than duct tape IMO. We use it on the farm like it's going out of style. It would definitely take care of your brace problem easily. Problem would be finding a small enough container of it local to you. We buy ours in large(ish) tins, so I have no idea if they come any smaller but it would be worth a shot looking into it.

-Ryan

Cooldadddyfunk286
09-12-2009, 03:49 PM
ok so I got some marineland hold fast epoxy. just applied it, its drying and being clamped together with vice grips. should be dry in a half hour. Can I fill the tank tonight?? its safe for all fish, you can even use it underwater with fish in the tank...so I should be OK to fill the tank tonight and start gettin it ready for fish in a few days right??

thanks!

Cooldadddyfunk286
09-13-2009, 01:48 PM
anyone?? I wanna fill this puppy up tonight! just wanna make sure its cool to fill it. I mean the stuff is made for fishtanks, you can even use it underwater with fish in the tank, so it should be cool right? can someone please just reassure me? ;)

David Rose
09-13-2009, 03:58 PM
IMO, I'd give it 24 hrs to cure to be safe. It sounds like you did, so you're good to go; especially, since your exceeding the time requirement on the directions!

Best,

Cooldadddyfunk286
09-13-2009, 04:04 PM
cool, thanks!!