PDA

View Full Version : Noises from discus?

shoggoth43
09-08-2009, 11:56 PM
Do discus make any noises? I've recently started hearing a tingk kind of noise coming from my tank this evening. I know some fish can make all kinds of noises from their swim bladders and such, but I'm not sure what I'm hearing. It's definitely the taller 45 gallon tank making the noise, but I don't know if it's the tank, or the fish inside. I've also got some sterbai corys in there and some serpae tetras. I figure it's either the discus, the sterbais, or my tank is about to suffer structural failure. Neither of my tanks are perfectly level but I've not heard any creaks, groans, or other noises from any of the tanks until tonight.

Thoughts?

-
S

rickztahone
09-09-2009, 12:03 AM
Do discus make any noises? I've recently started hearing a tingk kind of noise coming from my tank this evening. I know some fish can make all kinds of noises from their swim bladders and such, but I'm not sure what I'm hearing. It's definitely the taller 45 gallon tank making the noise, but I don't know if it's the tank, or the fish inside. I've also got some sterbai corys in there and some serpae tetras. I figure it's either the discus, the sterbais, or my tank is about to suffer structural failure. Neither of my tanks are perfectly level but I've not heard any creaks, groans, or other noises from any of the tanks until tonight.

Thoughts?

-
S

it must be some kind of mechanical thing you are hearing becuase you would not be able to hear any noises coming from the fish in your tank. maybe a thermometer probe is hitting up against the glass or something? maybe something very simple like that...

mareshow
09-09-2009, 12:13 AM
i know when my fish are pecking at stuff on the surface it makes a weird clicking noise.

Jhhnn
09-09-2009, 12:25 AM
i know when my fish are pecking at stuff on the surface it makes a weird clicking noise.

Mine too. They also make the occasional loud splash... why, I dunno...

Cooldadddyfunk286
09-09-2009, 12:30 AM
ditto. the loud splash is a trip right? youll be in the other room and just hear "SWOOSH" ...you know they got spooked by somethin. same for me with the surface pecking, makes kind of a little click noise, I know what you guys mean.

shoggoth43
09-09-2009, 01:25 AM
This was almost metallic sounding. Like exhaust cooling. Or potentially that tingk noise you hear sometimes in the movies on plate glass just before it shatters.

Turns out it was them picking at the prefilter sponge. They've done it in the past but I've NEVER heard that sound. Sure enough though, after freaking out and staying up way too late to make sure I wasn't going to hear the dreaded *CRACK* followed by the *SPLOOSH* noise I eventually saw the biggest doing it. Then the smallest. Oddest damned thing and really hard to correlate since the fish weren't doing anything unusual.

Thanks for the input though.

-
S

ditto. the loud splash is a trip right? youll be in the other room and just hear "SWOOSH" ...you know they got spooked by somethin. same for me with the surface pecking, makes kind of a little click noise, I know what you guys mean.

DiscusKeeper403
09-10-2009, 11:41 PM
I hear a "tink" sometimes during feedings when they peck on the bottom of the glass. Maybe it's this?

Didn't read that you found out.

shoggoth43
09-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Turned out to be them picking at the prefilter sponge. Nothing metallic. If I had my ear to the glass I could sometimes get a dull clunk after the tingk. The clunk was probably the intake tube hitting the tank. Still not the thing to "discover" for the first time late on a worknight.

It's good to know that it may just be something in the feeding behavior. They do tend to puff the food up off the bottom before inhaling it so maybe the noise has something to do with the suction they generate. I have no idea. That tank is on the replace list anyway as the glass is just far too thin for my liking and it only takes one stumble over a cat near the tank to make that decision an easy one.

-
S

I hear a "tink" sometimes during feedings when they peck on the bottom of the glass. Maybe it's this?

Didn't read that you found out.

dwilder
09-11-2009, 05:03 PM
when my fish are eating you can here when they snapp at the food its pretty loud