PDA

View Full Version : What is this on his eye?

Esquire
09-10-2009, 02:37 PM
I have a 3 inch fish with an eye that looks like it is wearing a frosted contact lens with a bump on it?

Just noticed this today, no other fish have this.

75 gal BB tank
86F

50% WC per day
12 - 3" fish in the tank
Water parameters all in line.
All fish eating good including this one.
No other signs of problems, just the eye.

bacterial infection?
How would you treat this?
Thanks

Eddie
09-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Move affected fish to QT tank.
Kanamycin in food and water.
Add salt, 3 tbsp per 10 gallons.
Add extra air and keep temp at 82F.
Keep tank super clean, perform daily 75% water changes.

Eddie

Esquire
09-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Thanks eddie,
That is what I started doing but needed an expert to chime in.
I have never seen this before. What are the chances of recovery?

Eddie
09-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks eddie,
That is what I started doing but needed an expert to chime in.
I have never seen this before. What are the chances of recovery?

Good chance if you have got it in good time. One thing I will say and many might disagree, with antibiotics it is recommended to be treated for 10-12 days but if you do not see any improvement after 3 days, switch to a different antibiotic. This is well documented in many publications I have been reading. If you don't see any changes after 3 full days, move to a furan based antibiotic such as Furan-2.

All the best,

Eddie

PS: I am not an expert, just had plenty of sick fish and had to study on my own about courses of treatment. Plus I got a few friends, who are experts. :D

Esquire
09-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Dam i'm out of Kanamycin powder, more on the way from Jehmco but not until monday.
I have him eating Kanamycin flake, Salt and 82F with a lot of air.
He acts normal with a good appetite.
I don't know of a med available at a local fish store that has Kanamycin in it, do you?

Eddie
09-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Dam i'm out of Kanamycin powder, more on the way from Jehmco but not until monday.
I have him eating Kanamycin flake, Salt and 82F with a lot of air.
He acts normal with a good appetite.
I don't know of a med available at a local fish store that has Kanamycin in it, do you?

Nope, Kanaplex is too expensive and you'll need alot of it. Any way you could get Furan-2? Its pretty easy to get at most LFS.

Eddie

Esquire
09-10-2009, 07:42 PM
With using furan 2, should I still feed the Kanamycin flake?

Eddie
09-10-2009, 08:01 PM
With using furan 2, should I still feed the Kanamycin flake?

You can, getting antibiotics in the fish will be an extra punch. I try to feed antibiotic flake any time the eyes are as your fishes are. Reason being is that you do not know if this is internal or external. Furan-2 does handle both as it is Nitrofurazone and Furozolidone but the Furozolidone is not easily absorbed in the water.

Eddie

takasumi
09-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Let us all know if your treatment works out.

I encountered the same problem with gross looking eyes. (Although, I also had swollen bellies and septicemia.)
I started with Kanacyn initially, but ended up moving the discus into a fresh tank and adding the cupramine.

I lost 2 and saved 2 that had the eye problem by using cupramine for 14 days, no water changes, adding prime and a bacteria supplement daily.

I've been taking with the lfs guys in my area and all were expressing their concern that what's been going around killing SA cichlids is a new parasite of some lethal degree.

I think that my fish are on their way to a nice recovery at this point, but who knows? I lost 8 discus and 4 angels to this monkey of a parasite.

Again, PLEASE let me know if your treatment works!

Esquire
09-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Update. I was feeding antibiotic flake with Kanamycin in it and didn't see any effect.
I started treatment with API Furan 2 and saw a reduction in the swelling and cloudiness of the eye within a day and a half. The fish also seemed happier even though he showed no real signs of distress with the eye problem.
His eating has slowed but i'm guessing the meds may be effecting this some along with the loss of his tank mates.
I have him in a 10 gal with plenty of air at 84 F.
75% waterchange daily and a redose of Furan 2.

After 3 days of treatment the small point in the middle of the eye is still there but smaller and the only cloudy part left.
Hopefully another couple of days and it will be gone.
Avery good looking 3.25" from my pair that I did not want to loose.
Thanks again for all the help here and I will keep this updated.

frenchie100
09-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Hi Esquire,

Glad to hear things are working out!

You might want to ask Al ( Brewmaster) how long he recommends for Furan-2. I have the slight recollection that he had told me that FUran-2 required a long treatment, something like 10-14 days even when symptoms are gone.

I can't remember for sure so I don't want to give you wrong info. :D

Julie :)

Esquire
09-15-2009, 03:41 PM
The box says treat for 4 days, can be repeated.

For what ever that is worth, not much I think.
If things continue as they are going I plan on 8 days minimum treatment.
This of course would mean a few days after all signs have disappeared.

If anyone thinks different please chime in.

Eddie
09-16-2009, 12:46 PM
The box says treat for 4 days, can be repeated.

For what ever that is worth, not much I think.
If things continue as they are going I plan on 8 days minimum treatment.
This of course would mean a few days after all signs have disappeared.

If anyone thinks different please chime in.

Good to hear its Furan-2 worked, easily my antibiotic of choice. Go for 10-12 days if the symptoms are not fully gone. Then just follow up with excellent water every day. ;)

Eddie

Esquire
09-26-2009, 01:40 PM
just an update,

The eye is just about completely healed just a tiny spot of cloudiness left in the center which I suspect will be gone in another 2 days.
Treatment has stopped and just keeping the tank super clean.

Good happy fish.

Eddie
09-26-2009, 03:10 PM
just an update,

The eye is just about completely healed just a tiny spot of cloudiness left in the center which I suspect will be gone in another 2 days.
Treatment has stopped and just keeping the tank super clean.

Good happy fish.

Sounds Fantastic! Some good nutrient rich foods will help boost the fishes immune system and eye will fully heal.

Take care and all the best,

Eddie