PDA

View Full Version : Need help for darker and skinnier discus

dragonblood
09-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Hi...Member..I'm need your advice for my discus:
..He eating well except he become darker,skinnier and a lot of slime coat come out......and i don't see any white feces...so what exactly happen to my discus...Thanks for your help..

Eclectic Discus
09-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Not enough info.

Fill this out so others can help you out.
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _____

- ph _____

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

Eddie
09-10-2009, 06:38 PM
How many fish? Just the one?

Eddie

dragonblood
09-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Thanks guy for your help:
1.It's start 6 months ago because I;m notice that his stomach is skinny and every months his body getting skinnier
2.Sympton: turning darker/sometime,hiding and now(after 6 months excess slime coat)
He eat well,everything in body seem good but getting skinnier anddarker
3.I don't know how old he ,5,5 inch in 55 gal long tank with 8 fish(all around 5,5 inch)
4.water age for 2 days/everyday 20 % water change
5.Water parameter is good(the rest of the discus look very happy and some of them is breeding)
6.No fish added
7.Treat with prazi food,melafix for 3 days

Eddie
09-11-2009, 12:53 AM
6 months, thats a long time for the fish to be behaving different and then finally needing help. In the future, act fast and seek help.

1. Sounds like the fish in infected with both internal and external parasite.

2. Deal with the externals first, I'd perform a salt dip and return the fish to a QT tank. Treat with Quick Cure for 2-3 days.

3. When the treatment is done, follow up with a Furan based antibiotic such as Furan 2 or Furanase. You can use metro at the same time you are using either of these antibiotics. Also keep a salt solution going as you are treating with antibiotics

5. De-worm the fish after the antibiotics, using either a medicated feed or bath.

;)

Eddie

PS-Just my take on it. :D

dragonblood
09-11-2009, 02:17 AM
Thanks for your help

Eddie
09-11-2009, 02:44 AM
Any time.

Here is the instructions for a salt dip.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=70580

When using Quick Cure

1. No tank lights or excessive sun light on the tank

2. Add extra air since Formalin decreases o2 levels

3. Tank temp should be at 82F max as higher temperatures also reduce o2 levels.

4. You must monitor the fish for a few hours or so. Never treat a fish with any medication and leave the house or go to sleep.

Eddie