PDA

View Full Version : How do I add metro to my beef heart€?

cfi on the fly
09-10-2009, 07:52 PM
I have metro in pure powder and would like to use it in the food. I have for the past three days been administering in the water, and now fish are starting to nibble again. So I would prefer now to inject through food.

I don't have a scale does anybody know what I should do with teaspoons and beefheart? Can I just sprinkle the powder on thawed bh and then refreez?

Thanks

Eddie
09-10-2009, 08:05 PM
I have metro in pure powder and would like to use it in the food. I have for the past three days been administering in the water, and now fish are starting to nibble again. So I would prefer now to inject through food.

I don't have a scale does anybody know what I should do with teaspoons and beefheart? Can I just sprinkle the powder on thawed bh and then refreez?

Thanks

Yes, that will be fine. Sprinkle it on the thawed beefheart, mix it up well and refreeze. Try not to let the beefheart thaw too much, definitely keep it cold. ;)

Eddie

cfi on the fly
09-10-2009, 08:33 PM
ok, how much do you think for one cube of bh? I just mixed a quarter tsp up with two cubes, and am freezing now. Think that will work?

thanks eddie

Eddie
09-10-2009, 08:35 PM
ok, how much do you think for one cube of bh? I just mixed a quarter tsp up with two cubes, and am freezing now. Think that will work?

thanks eddie

Thats fine, and since you are already using it in the water, it can only help. Metro is pretty difficult to overdose.

Eddie

pcsb23
09-11-2009, 06:08 AM
Metro can be overdosed and the effects are not seen immediately. It usually results in internal organ failure such as the kidneys or possibly sterility. It is one reason why I do not feed medicated food when treating in the water - no control over how much is being taken up.

Eddie
09-11-2009, 06:10 AM
Metro can be overdosed and the effects are not seen immediately. It usually results in internal organ failure such as the kidneys or possibly sterility. It is one reason why I do not feed medicated food when treating in the water - no control over how much is being taken up.

Paul, how do you gauge the amount of absorption through water?

Eddie

pcsb23
09-11-2009, 06:43 AM
Paul, how do you gauge the amount of absorption through water?

EddieIn truth Eddie you can't, other than by trial and error. I used to dose metro at 400 to 500 mg per 10 gals (US) and dose three times a day, after a few years, many fish and discussion with fish vets, I now dose less @max 400mg/10 US gals and only once a day, for 10 days.

Thing is I get better results and have no longer term issues with fish doing it this way where in the past previously good pairs stopped producing and I'd get the odd "unexplained" death. Circumstantial maybe, but based on my experiencs we as hobbyists overdose meds too much, don't give the meds time to work and are too quick to jump to using meds.

Eddie
09-11-2009, 06:49 AM
In truth Eddie you can't, other than by trial and error. I used to dose metro at 400 to 500 mg per 10 gals (US) and dose three times a day, after a few years, many fish and discussion with fish vets, I now dose less @max 400mg/10 US gals and only once a day, for 10 days.

Thing is I get better results and have no longer term issues with fish doing it this way where in the past previously good pairs stopped producing and I'd get the odd "unexplained" death. Circumstantial maybe, but based on my experiencs we as hobbyists overdose meds too much, don't give the meds time to work and are too quick to jump to using meds.

Great info, I have done alot reading about metro dosages and it does seem that the amount most hobbyists are using is too much. I also read that it should be used once daily. There is a larger dosage for an every other day treatment but its a pretty large amount. I guess if we could gauge the amount a fish eats it could be very effective as oral treatment was the preferred method. It definitely makes sense that a person should do one or the other and not both at the same time.

Take care,

Eddie

Bilbo_wh
09-11-2009, 07:50 AM
The only thing I would add is metro works best when made fresh with food. It is supposed to be less effective if mixed and refrozen. I dont use it that way though so I cant back that claim up.

I use it in water 400mg per 50ltrs once a day.

kaceyo
09-11-2009, 03:27 PM

thanks eddie

1/4 tsp of pure metro powder is enough for 100grams of fish food. That'sclose to 4oz of food so your mix is WAY overdosed. If your going to add it without a scale, which I don't recommend, sprinkle the powder on the food like you would salt on a hamburger, lightly.

Kacey

Darrell Ward
09-14-2009, 05:19 PM
In truth Eddie you can't, other than by trial and error. I used to dose metro at 400 to 500 mg per 10 gals (US) and dose three times a day, after a few years, many fish and discussion with fish vets, I now dose less @max 400mg/10 US gals and only once a day, for 10 days.

I'm glad I found this post because I'm getting ready to dose some wilds with metro. Thanks! :D