PDA

View Full Version : Stocking In-Wall 180gal Show Tank

Hobbyist
09-15-2009, 08:26 AM
Hello,

First post here, I'm an experienced hobbyist though. I'm looking for stocking advice on a 180 gallon I'm currently setting up. I would like advice on substrate, fish stocking, and plants.

Details of tank, lighting, decor so far:
Standard 180 gallon acrylic tank
2 x 48" Nova T5
Flitration 2 x Eheim pro 3 (Or maybe 1 Pro3 and either pro2 or 2229 wet dry)
Back ground is an aquaterra rainforest root system
3 pieces of driftwood
Pleco caves

Fish list so far:
Discus
Zebra plecos (currently have 6, I'll put 4 in the tank as I'd like to breed a pair)
Another pleco group (inspector maybe)
Marble hatchet fish
Cardinals
Rummy nose tetras
German Rams and maybe another apisto
Cories
Ottos

I'd like the tank to be a show setup.

Questions I have:
How many Discus? Should I mix strains? (I would like to)
Should I add another type of hypan pleco or maybe something else?
How many hatchet fish? Thoughts on hatchet fish in general...
Cardinals a good idea? How many?
Rummynose tetras a good idea? How many
Should I add another apisto other than rams or are rams even a good idea.
Which cory can stand discus temps the best? Should I bother with the plecos I plan to stock?
Are ottos really so bad with discus? Should I add snails instead?
What about shrimp? I like CRS, but would prefer something from south america.
Any suggestions of fish to add or remove?
Which substrate should I use? I was going to use black estes but have read that this is not the best way to display discus. I would imagine ecco complete would be the same idea...
I would like to add a couple live plants, but don't want to dose with ferts or CO2.

If you think of something I didn't, don't be shy.

Thanks in advance. I'll post pics of the completed tank.

poconogal
09-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Hi and welcome to SD!

I've read your fish list. If you want to go planted show, I strongly recommend you begin with adult Discus. The reason for this is that juvies require heavy feeding for good growth, many feed juvies 6x per day and more. That can impact your water quality as well as result in a build up of uneaten food and detritus in substrate. With the heavy feeding regimen, heavy WCs will be necessary as well. When there in substrate in the tank, the build up, even with regular vacuuming, can result in the Discus becoming ill and then we'll see you in the disease section.

If you want to begin with juvies, I advise you start with a BB tank, raise them up for several months to a good size, and then add substrate/plants, etc.

Plecos are not recommended with Discus with the exception of Bristle Nose. Other plecos are known for attacking the Discus and eating their slime coat. Many have had other plecos in their Discus tanks and ended up having to remove them. Zebras though, not sure. Aren't they more carnivourous? So they may not pose a problem to Discus slime coat.

Hatchets, Cardinals, Rummies and Rams are all fine with Discus tank, but I don't know how well Hatchets tolerate the higher Discus tank temps.

Cories as well are fine, Sterbai, Julii (which I have), Schwartzi (which I also have) and some others can tolerate the higher temps.

I'd skip Otos as well for the same reason that Plecos are not advised. Not all will attack the Discus, but many have had that experience and had to get rid of the Otos.

Snails - the nerites are lovely and there are I think 2 or 3 varieties that can handle the Discus temps. They also do not breed in FW tanks, although they do lay eggs. I've been told that they are exceptional cleaners too. I've been planning on getting some, but must wait right now due to finances.

If you have good plant cover, shrimp would be okay, but Discus do eat them. Again, not all varieties will tolerate the higher temps. Amano, Cherry and RCS I think will. Amanos definitely will.

As far as plants, Anubias, Java Fern, Amazon Swords. I've had these in a low light tank and they did very well. Any other types of plants, someone else will chime in, as I'm not a plant person.

You can mix strains of Discus, plenty of us have an "easter egg" tank. I do and I love the mix of colors. For stocking, I'd stick with the recommended 10 gals. of water per Discus.

If you go with dark substrate, pigeon bloods and IME even other types of Discus will darken or pepper. However, if you get albino strains, you can use even black substrate and background, which will display albinos beautifully, and albinos will not pepper or darken.

HTH and good luck with your tank!

Hobbyist
09-15-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the very detailed response.

rickztahone
09-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Connie pretty much covered everything. Crystal Red Shrimp can not tolerate the higher temperatures though i believe. it's the Red Cherry Shrimp that can.

Harriett
09-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Hey Connie, dearest, you are kinda turning into the go-to-girl here...rather than continueing to post "I agree with Connie", I'm just going to give a general hats off to you here! LOL...kinda saves my typing fingers, ok?
Harriett

Scribbles
09-15-2009, 05:31 PM
First of all welcome to SD. Connie hit the nail on the head with her response. The only thing that I would add is that some discus are ok with tetras and others will hunt them. It's a crap shoot.

Chris

mmorris
09-15-2009, 11:28 PM
I agree with Connie. :D

Hobbyist
09-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks again for all the responses.

Any opinions on stocking levels though...actual numbers of fish.

I'll probably stick with 8-10 discus, but what would be optimal for the tankmates?

tcyiu
09-16-2009, 11:41 PM
Wow. It's pretty hard to add anything to what is already a comprehensive reply. I guess my only addition would be that my 20 cardinals school together very well. My tank is a very "open" layout with driftwood at either end. This means the wide open space makes the cardinals nervous so they bunch up together.

I have seen planted tanks where unless there is a very large number of cardinals, the cardinals just hide. That's not really appealing to my taste

Tim

CanadaPleco
09-25-2009, 12:47 AM
I would not put your zebras with Discus and all those other fish, they simply do not compete well for food and will starve. Trust me, I have done it and will never do it again. Zebras are best left to a species tank of their own.

hoangben
09-25-2009, 01:11 AM
Well.... discus, tetras, rams go very well together, and if you like, throw some piranhas in there.... jk!! And as for plants, stick to low light plants...less maintenance!!

180 gallons... hmm... should stock about 12-15 discus, minimal 4 inchers.. no less...

nothing more beautiful than a school of 4 inch discus roaming in the tank....

Hobbyist
09-30-2009, 07:42 AM
I would not put your zebras with Discus and all those other fish, they simply do not compete well for food and will starve. Trust me, I have done it and will never do it again. Zebras are best left to a species tank of their own.

Thanks, I've changed my mind about the zebras.

Hobbyist
10-13-2009, 07:21 AM
Ended up with 14 Discus (more than planned)... sizes 3" -6"+

Waiting for them to stop cowering in the corner...

Cardinal
10-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Looking forward to some pictures!!

Hobbyist
10-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Not much to look at now. Hopefully they adjust.. One is having an equilibrium issue - keeps doing a head stand...