PDA

View Full Version : I dont know which to believe

mareshow
09-16-2009, 01:46 AM
after my little episode with my jager on the weekend i bought a glass thermometer, my first but i have to strips ones on the glass, but heres my problem the glass read 78F while the two strips read 86F which do i believe? i think i'm going to go and buy a digital thermometer tomorrow just to be sure

Chad Hughes
09-16-2009, 01:52 AM
after my little episode with my jager on the weekend i bought a glass thermometer, my first but i have to strips ones on the glass, but heres my problem the glass read 78F while the two strips read 86F which do i believe? i think i'm going to go and buy a digital thermometer tomorrow just to be sure

I would stick with what the glass thermometer is reading. I use digital and glass and the digitals are pretty good until the batteries start to fade. I've always had great success with the glass therms and they are cheap!

Best wishes!

David Rose
09-16-2009, 07:39 AM
I've had the same issue with strips vs. other types. I agree that the glass is more reliable than strips, but since I broke one in an aquarium I've been using digital and have been very pleased with them. MY TDS meter also records temp as well, so I use it as a cross reference.

Best,

discus_newbie
09-16-2009, 08:03 AM
oh what :confused: Digital thermometer (strips) run on battery :confused:

like these one run on battery?

http://www.theaquariumshop.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=1374&name=AquarWorld%20Digital%20Aquarium%20Thermometer

I thought they don't, as there is no place to put a battery

poconogal
09-16-2009, 08:05 AM
I'd believe the glass also. I actually use a cheapo thermometer made by Hagen along with a digital that I got off Ebay a few years ago, which I absolutely love. Both of them actually agree, which is a minor miracle in itself. The Ebay digital has a backlight button to see the temp at night, and high and low temperature alarms that can be set as well. I was going to give you a link, but it looks like the company isn't selling them anymore which it too bad. They made all sorts of thermometers, lab grade too.

Just found my thermometer, but not on Ebay:

http://www.testersandtools.com/Mannix-AQ150-Digital-Aquarium-Thermometer.php

poconogal
09-16-2009, 08:11 AM
oh what :confused: Digital thermometer (strips) run on battery :confused:

like these one run on battery?

http://www.theaquariumshop.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=1374&name=AquarWorld%20Digital%20Aquarium%20Thermometer

I thought they don't, as there is no place to put a battery
Hi, that's not the same thing, that's just a strip thermometer that's placed on the glass.

This is the digital I believe is being referred to:

http://www.testersandtools.com/Mannix-AQ150-Digital-Aquarium-Thermometer.php

Jhhnn
09-16-2009, 08:45 AM
The stick-on color change lcd thermos are *extremely* accurate due to the precision manufacturing process. Their only limitation is operator error and the fact that they'll read a little low in a cool room.

Most of the suction cup and floaty aquarium thermos available are dangerous junk. Inexpensive electronic digital thermos are much the same.

Don't believe me? Get something like this to check all your thermos-

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/200543/product.web?gdftrk=xh23lc0p/7HDy~g3JgKLc/KljrHO9uJRwOUnQcUFO5GfkGzkVp83g~sDs3ZyY1Gov5ej7LYy z8Tr5K1bqqHV1Je82u77gZH1ECBL7hO3Em9IsQVi0PEho0fvwg 3sj9S9

When my stick-on high range thermos from Jehmco say 86F, the precision thermo says the same thing. They're more accurate than my Ranco controller. Not coincidence, something that can't be said for the usual aquarium grade instrumentation.

Edit- that's not the thermo I have, nor a very good buy- it's just an example. Mine came form Cosco, a local chemical supply outfit. More like the 736780 pictured here-

http://www.sperdirect.com/cgi-bin/item/735384/Temperature/-Thermometer-Sama-Red-Liquid-(box-of-10)

mench
09-16-2009, 09:42 AM
I have tried all different types of thermos.and the best by far is the laser LED heat thermo. that I got at the local auto parts store...around 70$ but it is right on the money,just point and pull the trigger.it uses a 9volt batt.

Mench

mareshow
09-16-2009, 10:22 AM
yeah i'm thinking i'm going to stick with the glass but i'm going to buy a digital one also i think but from where?

wgtaylor
09-16-2009, 10:33 AM
I have tried all different types of thermos.and the best by far is the laser LED heat thermo. that I got at the local auto parts store...around 70$ but it is right on the money,just point and pull the trigger.it uses a 9volt batt.

Mench
Hey that sounds great going from tank to tank without cross contamination. Always wondered how accurate they were.
Do they work thru the front glass or thru the top pointed directly at the water?
Thanks mench
Bill

mareshow
09-16-2009, 10:39 AM
I work in HVAC and Refrigeration, and personally i wouldnt touch a Laser or Infared Thermometer with a ten foot pole, they can be excellent but if you want an excellent one they cost a crap load of money. When i say crap load i mean $5000+ and $5000 is for a pretty low end one as well. Thats for Infared, as for Laser... i dont know much about them but there has been rumors that they cause alot of problems in our industry this is just my opinion but as for the safety of my fish i dont trust them or am i going to pay that much lol

David Rose
09-16-2009, 10:42 AM
yeah i'm thinking i'm going to stick with the glass but i'm going to buy a digital one also i think but from where?

Connie/PoconoGal posted a link above for a digital. The price looked good. I just bought mine at ThatFishPlace and I think I paid between $25-35. Petco, PetsMart, and SuperPetz all have other brands as well. I have one from Petco on one of my tanks and I knocked the control unit in the water and it still worked after I let it dry out.

I do like that the digitals usually have a hi/low temp alarm too, which is a nice feature should your heater go on the blink.

Best of luck,

seanyuki
09-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Hi Mench,

The one you got....is it the Raytek Infrared Thermometer? which model and any comments for it.

Mench

Darrell Ward
09-16-2009, 03:18 PM
I work in HVAC and Refrigeration, and personally i wouldnt touch a Laser or Infared Thermometer with a ten foot pole, they can be excellent but if you want an excellent one they cost a crap load of money. When i say crap load i mean $5000+ and $5000 is for a pretty low end one as well. Thats for Infared, as for Laser... i dont know much about them but there has been rumors that they cause alot of problems in our industry this is just my opinion but as for the safety of my fish i dont trust them or am i going to pay that much lol

I hear ya. We use to use infrared thermometers at my last job. We had maybe a dozen of them, and every one would give a different reading. Some readings were so far off it was ridiculous.

mench
09-16-2009, 06:26 PM
I use the Raytek Mini temp..point it through the top at the water,not through the glass..I have been using it for years with no trouble.just keep the batt.fresh..

Mench

seanyuki
09-16-2009, 06:42 PM
thanks mench for quick reply .

Jhhnn
09-18-2009, 12:33 AM
I'm always surprised by the resistance to stick-on liquid crystal thermometers. They really are a remarkable invention, and work on the same principles as modern lcd computer monitors. They just do it with heat rather than electricity.

I think part of that stems from a basic misconception about heat and temperature. Heat is the active force, and seeks to dissipate, to equalize. Couple that with the fact that glass is a lousy insulator, and the reality of it all is that, in temperature controlled environments, the outside surface of the aquarium glass is extremely close to the inside glass surface temperature and the temperature of the water itself. Extremely close as in tenths of a degree F. They always measure the warmer side of any temperature differential they're placed on. The only caveat is that they must adhere tightly and evenly to the glass.

A couple of technical articles-

http://nobelprize.org/educational_games/physics/liquid_crystals/history/

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_liquid_crystal_thermometer

I particularly like the ones from Jehmco, which measure from 70F to 102F in 2 degree increments. 86F is conveniently dead center in the display.

They're also inexpensive, durable, as reliable as dirt. Try 'em, you'll like 'em.

Darrell Ward
09-18-2009, 12:42 AM
I'm always surprised by the resistance to stick-on liquid crystal thermometers. They really are a remarkable invention, and work on the same principles as modern lcd computer monitors. They just do it with heat rather than electricity.

I think part of that stems from a basic misconception about heat and temperature. Heat is the active force, and seeks to dissipate, to equalize. Couple that with the fact that glass is a lousy insulator, and the reality of it all is that, in temperature controlled environments, the outside surface of the aquarium glass is extremely close to the inside glass surface temperature and the temperature of the water itself. Extremely close as in tenths of a degree F. They always measure the warmer side of any temperature differential they're placed on. The only caveat is that they must adhere tightly and evenly to the glass.

I particularly like the ones from Jehmco, which measure from 70F to 102F in 2 degree increments. 86F is conveniently dead center in the display.

They're also inexpensive, durable, as reliable as dirt. Try 'em, you'll like 'em.

Cool! I wasn't aware John had "sticky crystals" that went to 102F. I need to get some of those, as ones that read that high are hard to find. I love these things for their convenience, and they are fairly accurate as well.

David Rose
09-18-2009, 07:46 AM

Good info to have. I didn't realize there were better quality strips available and have only seen the cheaper ones in the LFSs. I have two of those and the one doesn't even changes colors anymore.

Thanks!

poconogal
09-18-2009, 08:28 AM
I've used the stick on strips in the past. I actually found them to be pretty good, at least the ones that I bought that were called "medical grade." I started finding it harder to find those and especially those that read up into higher temperatures so I just switched to the digital (the one in my link) that has, for the last 2 years, been in perfect agreement with 2 other thermometers that I have. Having found 3 that all agree, I figure that all 3 are accurate. That's a very hard thing to find - thermometers that agree with other thermometers! Finding accurate thermometers has been a problem since before I started, back in '92. Heaters are the other problem... still!!!

Having said this, I plan on trying the stick ons from Jehmco. Thanks, Jhhnn.

Cooldadddyfunk286
09-18-2009, 08:34 AM
I like the glass ones too, untill ur discus gets spooked, knocks it off the tank glass, and it falls to the bottom and breaks all over :(:(...luckily no lethal stuff came out, just glass I had to clean up. had the same thing happen to one of my jagers too actually LOL. luckily no one cut themselves.

Jhhnn
09-18-2009, 08:25 PM
I like the glass ones too, untill ur discus gets spooked, knocks it off the tank glass, and it falls to the bottom and breaks all over :(:(...luckily no lethal stuff came out, just glass I had to clean up. had the same thing happen to one of my jagers too actually LOL. luckily no one cut themselves.

Mine haven't broken any heaters, but they do find ways to get scraped or gouged on occasion, and there's nothing in there other than heaters, sponge filters and some tube ends, all carefully smoothed by hand...

One of them, appropriately named "Bash", has hit the glass so hard I can hear the thump across the room...

When I see pics of tanks w/ some of that beautiful branching and very multi-pointed manzanita, I wince. I don't want any one-eyed fish, and I definitely don't want to have to dispose of any that have fatally impaled themselves...

I didn't think of this when I applied the liquid crystal thermos to my own tanks, but the smart place to put 'em is right up front, near the top, at the spot where the fish are normally fed- hard to miss that way... It's not like the aesthetics of a bare bottom tank will suffer...

I'll do that soon, if I can find spares, or when I order more stuff... moving 'em never worked well for me in the past.