PDA

View Full Version : Planted low tech discus filtration ?

Harlequin
09-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Hello! Been trolling for a little while as I plan and I have a question or three on filtration.
I have been doing reef tanks for years and propogate soft corals(not exactly difficult but I enjoy it) and have had a planted tank years ago and while the plants lived they didnt flourish and I had algae problems up the wazoo. So now I am starting fresh with a 55 gal. I picked up some substrate from theplantedtank.com and have not gotten the lighting yet but know what I am going to use. My plans are an SA tank with Apistos and eventually discus a few months down the line. If things breed then great, hopefully the plants will provide cover, but that isnt my intention. I plan on a fair bit of driftwood as well.
Now that we have my plans out there, what would be good filtration? Wet/dry is out as this is in my living room and I do not want the noise. Leaving me with canister filters or power filters. I have been recommended Eheims on the SW boards, but I was wondering you guys' more experienced in the subject ideas. I know plants go through dark time reactions and if I remember Bio 1102 they consume O2 during this time correct? So would a small powerfilter and a canister filter work fine? A couple big powerfilters? Just the canister? Any ideas for the makes and models, Emperor or Aquaclear, Eheims or whatever else? Thanks.

On a side note, what kind of bulbs would be good. trying to avoid the yellow look, but do not want my discus to hide from the light all the time either.

pcsb23
09-18-2009, 09:19 AM
Eheim 2215 or 2217 would be perfect imo/e.

T5 florry lighting.

Sharkbait
09-19-2009, 12:15 AM
Make sure your lighting is full spectrum for plants. T5 is great, and you won't need the big expensive lights that require noisy fans.

You're right that plants consume O2 at night. This isn't such a big deal if you've got enough O2 in your tank overnight. If you see your fish all hanging out at the top in the morning, you've got too much CO2 in your tank at night (this is all based on your plant load, of course). In this case, a small powerhead at night will suffice with the CO2 turned off at night. I have my CO2 hooked up to a controller so if the PH goes too low at night, it shuts off.

I've never used an Eheim product, but I hear good things. I'd probably just hang a couple Aquaclear filters off the side and skip the canister.

Honestly, the pressurized CO2 setup is pretty expensive equipment for a 55 gallon. You may even want to consider going Flourish Excel for your carbon replacement. Don't do the pop bottle thing though. Waste of time.

Man I ramble. Hope it helps.

Cheers
Good luck.