PDA

View Full Version : book questions.

Imperialdiscus
09-17-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm ordering some books, Aquaculture Engineering, the bible as I hear it, is a definite.

Plus a few others, and I was wondering if anyone had heard of or seen the following:

Recirculating Aquaculture Systems by Timmons

Fundamentals of Aquaculture

Pricey books at over 100.00 each.

thanks.

Dkarc@Aol.com
09-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Recirculating Aquaculture Systems by Timmons/Ebeling is an updated version of the Aquaculture Engineering more or less. Both are great books and I live by them every day at the farm. The Aquaculture Engineering was written many years ago, where the Rercirculating Aquaculture Systems is relatively new and more up to date. They are both good reads though. I would get both if you can afford them, or if you are serious about recirc systems.

Keep in mind though that they are indeed engineering books, so there is a lot of calculus/trigonometry formulas in there. It really takes a lot of reading/comprehending to understand exactly what they're talking about....let alone apply it to your situations. They are definitely good reads and do help you understand the how's and why's of recirc technology.

**If you have the time/money I HIGHLY recommend the 3 day short course that Timmons/Ebeling hold at the Harbor Branch Research Institute in Ft Pierce, FL. It's not cheap to attend (like $350+), but you get a copy of the book and better yet the authors who wrote it teach it all to you. It is a very intensive course (8 hour days) but well worth it if you are serious about learning commercial recirculating aquaculture.

-Ryan

Imperialdiscus
09-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply. I figured someone here would be familiar with these books and could give me the straight scoop.

The math and formulas are not an issue for me, it's just my college years rehashed anyway, and I was an A student. I glad you mentioned that though, because the more technical and hardcore, the better. That is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

I needed something that could be applied to large scale aquaculture, not just "a fishroom" scenario. I'm working with some investors on a foreign marine aquaculture operation and wanted to apply high end principles to the facility, and it sounds like these books fill the bill quite nicely.

Much appreciated.

Dkarc@Aol.com
09-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply. I figured someone here would be familiar with these books and could give me the straight scoop.

The math and formulas are not an issue for me, it's just my college years rehashed anyway, and I was an A student. I glad you mentioned that though, because the more technical and hardcore, the better. That is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

I needed something that could be applied to large scale aquaculture, not just "a fishroom" scenario. I'm working with some investors on a foreign marine aquaculture operation and wanted to apply high end principles to the facility, and it sounds like these books fill the bill quite nicely.

Much appreciated.

What you learn in a book is only 1/4 of what you need to know to properly build/apply/operate a recirc system. The little details is what makes or breaks an operation...especially marine aquaculture. Unfortunitely the other 3/4 is through pure experience of building and operating a lot of different systems. Not everything written on paper is directly applicable to real life and often requires modifications to the principle of the operation (every situation is different). If it is a large operation, and a lot of money is on the line I HIGHLY advise you contact Aquatic Eco Systems and have their staff of engineers/tech help you out. Let me know if you need contact info for them.

-Ryan

Imperialdiscus
09-17-2009, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the advice Ryan, it's appreciated. I'm already working with AquaticEco, that is where I'm getting the books and hardware from. In fact I was talking to them last week about the setup we are building, and they suggested that I get the Recirculating Aquaculture Systems book first, and then call back after I'd had a chance to read it.

I'm not a stranger, nor a beginner where recirculating systems are concerned, so I'm not just jumping in blind or unprepared where this is concerned, but I'm not a Sea World level engineer either. While I have no doubt I could build a system that is suitable for the size of the facility, and would function well, I know that the additional books and working with the AES Staff will make the system even better.

but it's good you took the effort to point out that it isn't for the feint of heart as you never know what the experience level of the person posting is.

Dkarc@Aol.com
09-17-2009, 08:09 PM
Good deal man....cant got wrong with AES.

-Ryan

Imperialdiscus
09-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Good deal man....cant got wrong with AES.

-Ryan

Couldn't agree more.

A few years ago my primary aquatic supplier went out of business, Aquanetics in San Diego. I almost had a panic over it as they were a really sharp bunch and pretty well geared to BIG setups. I was sure I was screwed.

Someone told me to check out AES and I haven't had to look anywhere else since.

One thing I hate is calling places that from their tone make it sound like you are annoying them when you call to ask questions, but AES treats people REALLY well, it's something I personally really appreciate in a vendor.

Dkarc@Aol.com
09-17-2009, 08:49 PM
I remember Aquanetics...we still have a few of their UV's laying around on the farm.

Im lucky that I live not even 20 minutes from them. With my aquaculture degree finishing up this fall, im hoping they will also be my future employer. :D

-Ryan