PDA

View Full Version : BIo media questions.

cosmodude12
09-17-2009, 05:19 PM
I have 3 filters running on my 125 gallon tank for almost a year now.

I am trying to set up a new 30 gallon tank and I'm thinking to use one of the filter for that.

Is it okay to do this for my new tank considering I do not want to do the cycling process?

If that is okay, Will my 125 gallon tank suffer an amonia spike or mini cycle since one filter is taken out from the system?

Hope to hear few opinions on this. Thanks.

ifixoldhouses
09-17-2009, 05:39 PM
you could just put a new one in the new tank and wring out an old one into the new tank, to seed the new one.

cosmodude12
09-17-2009, 05:45 PM
you could just put a new one in the new tank and wring out an old one into the new tank, to seed the new one.

You mean take the bio media such as 'the ceramic ring' and put it in the new filter for the new tank? is that going to spike?

Jhhnn
09-17-2009, 08:12 PM
I and others do this all the time w/ sponge filters, for example. If the remaining filters on the 125 are up to the task, you'll have no problems there. If the filter moved to the new tank is adequate for that purpose, then yeh, same-same... I'd half fill the 30 w/ water from the 125, top off with conditioned fresh, but that's just me...

It's always smart to monitor water quality more closely than usual, of course, if it's a new tank or if an established tank gets significant changes.

tcyiu
09-17-2009, 08:54 PM
What filters are running on the 125 and what is the stocking level?

If the existing load is very heavy and the filters are small, then you may not be able to extract one for the new tank. But if you are currently way over filtering, then I would say, YES, go for it.

I don't wring out the media in the new tank water as ifixoldhouses. This is because the gunk is already trapped in the old media in the old filters. No point in getting lots of little itty bits of fine grain poo all over the tank.

I agree with what Jhhnn does. After adding old tank water and newly aged water and stabilizing the temperature, just move the old filter over. The filter will think you just did a water change. No big deal.

If you after you post the answers to the question above, and we all agree that you cannot move the filters, still no big deal.

Buy another filter that is the same as the ones on the 125. Take a portion of the old media from each of the existing filters to place in the new one. Use the new media to replace the stuff that was transplanted. You're good as gold.

The new media placed in the old filters will get seeded by the left behind media. The new filter with old media will be the same as the old filters.

Tim

Disgirl
09-17-2009, 09:59 PM
The filter will think you just did a water change.

Good advice and it did make me smile when I read that part!
Barb:)

cosmodude12
09-17-2009, 10:35 PM
What filters are running on the 125 and what is the stocking level?

Tim

I have a canister filter, and 2 hang on filters with lots of bio media. I don't use carbon, just bio media + tons of wool.

The new filter is occupied with new bio media. I'm thinking of extracting a handful of bio ceramic rings from the hang on filters and stuff it in the new filter and mixing it with the new bio media.

What do you think?

Jhhnn
09-17-2009, 11:43 PM
I have a canister filter, and 2 hang on filters with lots of bio media. I don't use carbon, just bio media + tons of wool.

The new filter is occupied with new bio media. I'm thinking of extracting a handful of bio ceramic rings from the hang on filters and stuff it in the new filter and mixing it with the new bio media.

What do you think?

We can't really advise you well until you provide more specifics, as tcyiu requested...

How many fish of what kinds and sizes are in the 125?

What specific filters are now in use on the 125? What is the new filter, exactly?

Having said that, I'd probably be more concerned w/ the new tank than the old, just because new tanks don't always act the way we think they should.

I'd move the smallest of the hob filters to the new 30gal tank, unless it's teensy. Take tank water with it.

Then split the media in the remaining hob between itself and the new filter, whatever it is, put 'em both on the 125... along with the existing canister...

You're leaving too many unknowns for that to be very accurate...

cosmodude12
09-18-2009, 02:43 AM
We can't really advise you well until you provide more specifics, as tcyiu requested...

How many fish of what kinds and sizes are in the 125?

6 fish.. they are between 4" to 5.5"

What specific filters are now in use on the 125? What is the new filter, exactly?

1 canister filter, 2 AquaClear Powerfilters

All of them have no carbon, just bio media that includes, ceramic rings, bio balls, Seachem Matrix Biofilter Media and wool.

I'm thinking of taking out bio rings from my aquaclear filter. I have 3 packets of bio rings in there.(each power filter).

I don't know if the biofilter is matured or not.I'm just taking a risk by skipping 'cycling' for my new 30 gallon tank.

Jhhnn
09-18-2009, 08:03 PM
Your tank population is low, and your filters are obviously cycled. You'd be having problems otherwise.

There's no such thing as "over filtering", other than if you're creating a lot of turbulence. The way to describe it is "excess capacity", and it appears that you have some in your 125 setup. I seriously doubt you'll have any problems doing what I offered, above...

tcyiu
09-18-2009, 09:35 PM
The filter will think you just did a water change.

Good advice and it did make me smile when I read that part!
Barb:)

Don't you talk to your filters? I cuddle up with my Eheim all the time. It tells me things ....

;-)

Tim

tcyiu
09-18-2009, 09:42 PM

What do you think?

Wool (i.e. polyester fibre) is good. Very adaptable to different filters unlike the custom shaped filter media that companies try to sell you at a huge markup.

Take some wool from the existing filters and rinse lightly. You don't want to rinse too hard or wring it, else most of the bacteria will get dislodged.

Use this to seed the new filter.

If you can afford the time, I would have the new tank running for a week before I would add fish, just to let the seeding happen and for things to settle down. During this week, you can encourage growth of the good bacteria by transferring some detritus (poo) from the existing tanks.

Tim

Jhhnn
09-18-2009, 11:43 PM
If you can afford the time, I would have the new tank running for a week before I would add fish, just to let the seeding happen and for things to settle down. During this week, you can encourage growth of the good bacteria by transferring some detritus (poo) from the existing tanks.

Flake food works, too...