PDA

View Full Version : Should I add driftwood?

DiscusKeeper403
09-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Hey guys,

I am debating adding a piece of driftwood into my semi adult/adult 90g. It would still remain BB. Do you think driftwood makes the tank harder to clean? Would you guys add it?

Daniella
09-20-2009, 12:36 AM
I have 2 large pieces of drifwood in my tank and they don't make the maintenance harder at all. I just move them around even if they are large as some bits of food might get underneat.

Just make sure you can move them around for cleaning if needed. Often I just clean the bottom with my syphon and just move the syphon around the edge of the drifwood slate (it's tied to a gray slate) so that any bits of food would be sucked in so I only need to move them once in a while generaly.

The main disadvantage that I can see with them is that my fish develop territory with them and there is breeding and fighting, wereas in an empty tank there is no territory so not much fighting going on.

They really like to float near them at night while sleeping.

Hey guys,

I am debating adding a piece of driftwood into my semi adult/adult 90g. It would still remain BB. Do you think driftwood makes the tank harder to clean? Would you guys add it?

Scribbles
09-20-2009, 03:37 AM
It's a matter of personal preferance. I keep driftwood in my tank and my discus seem to like it. I like to keep things very clean so I remove the wood daily to vaccuum the gravel and scrub the wood with a stiff brush 3 times a week on average. A little overkill perhaps but I'm fussy. LOL. You could always try it and if you don't like it just remove it.

Chris

smiley
09-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Like above..it wud do only good (especially you would notice all of your discus hide behind this if you switch off the light in the night) and cleaning would be just moving them a bit and cleaning for any leftover food..shouldnt be very difficult

poconogal
09-20-2009, 01:47 PM
I have 3 pieces in my mostly BB tank as a centerpiece (I have a light sprinkling of gravel on each side of the driftwood). No problem with cleaning the tank, I just slide it around to vacuum the bottom and slide it back into position when done. I also have BNs and they keep the wood clean.

Darrell Ward
09-20-2009, 02:18 PM
I have driftwood in all my tanks. Most are real pieces, but I have resin wood as well in a couple of tanks. I try to use pieces that the discus can swim under or thru the branches, they seem to enjoy doing that. IMO it makes the fish feel more secure. I agree that it's easy to siphon around the wood. Most of the time you can just slide it on the bottom a little to remove debris from around it.

DiscusKeeper403
09-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. Still debating on it, I am leaning more towards getting some at this point.