PDA

View Full Version : Newbie 60g tank

jc1of2
09-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Hey, guys first off thanks for all the great info on this sight. I have always wanted to keep discus in a planted tank and this is my first attempt after finding this website. I have a few question if you don't mind. First, let me give you some background. I've kept fish since I was a child back in the days of incandescent bulbs and UG filters. I currently have a 180 gallon mixed reef tank and a 30g seahorse tank. Lately I have been feeling burned out on the saltwater tanks. With a newborn in the house I just don't have the time for water changes and maintenance like I should. Right now my reef tank is covered in hair algae and half of my sps corals have died. I am considering breaking down the tank and selling off all of my fish and coral. I would like to take this 60g and move it into the 180. Everything has been running so great on the planted tank that I believe I would have an easier time tending to the 180 if it were freshwater. I guess it depends on the answers to some my questions.
1. I used swimming pool sand as a substrate and added flourish fert tabs under most of the plants per the instructions. Growth is great. Is this a viable option for long term care? I don't mind adding the tablets whenever I need to.
2. Do I have to worry about the sand impacting? Could I rake and poke the sand every month to prevent this from happening?
3. Right now I'm using Seachem Flourish brand of liquid ferts, NPK and fundamental pack. I only dose them when I do a water change once a week. Is this good enough? My plants don't seem to be complaning.
4. Since my 180 is reef ready what would be the better option? Keeping the sump or closing the drains and using two canister filters on either end? Should I use my vortech mp40w on the freshwater tank for circulation?

Thanks for your help. Also, the tank has been running with plants and discus since June.

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll412/jc1of2/009.jpg
http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll412/jc1of2/031.jpg

discusluvr818
09-20-2009, 07:23 PM
That is a very ncie set-up. What temp do you keep the water, just curious because of the tetras.Cheers.

jc1of2
09-20-2009, 07:28 PM
I don't trust my thermometer but it reads 83F.

discusluvr818
09-20-2009, 07:40 PM
I don't trust my thermometer but it reads 83F.

cool, my tanks are much warmer 86 and every time I tried to keep tetras they kept disappearing. Water temp killed them or they ended up as Hors D' Oveurs :D

pcsb23
09-21-2009, 04:18 AM
Hey, guys first off thanks for all the great info on this sight. I have always wanted to keep discus in a planted tank and this is my first attempt after finding this website. I have a few question if you don't mind. First, let me give you some background. I've kept fish since I was a child back in the days of incandescent bulbs and UG filters. I currently have a 180 gallon mixed reef tank and a 30g seahorse tank. Lately I have been feeling burned out on the saltwater tanks. With a newborn in the house I just don't have the time for water changes and maintenance like I should. Right now my reef tank is covered in hair algae and half of my sps corals have died. I am considering breaking down the tank and selling off all of my fish and coral. I would like to take this 60g and move it into the 180. Everything has been running so great on the planted tank that I believe I would have an easier time tending to the 180 if it were freshwater. I guess it depends on the answers to some my questions. Even planted discus tanks need water changes, minimum weekly ime - if you have time for an hour or two weekly maintennace then you should be good to go, if not then choose another fish species.

1. I used swimming pool sand as a substrate and added flourish fert tabs under most of the plants per the instructions. Growth is great. Is this a viable option for long term care? I don't mind adding the tablets whenever I need to. yes it is a workable long term solution.

2. Do I have to worry about the sand impacting? Could I rake and poke the sand every month to prevent this from happening? with good root growth this shouldn't be an issue, watch for black areas in the sand and the rotten egg smell if you disturb it. There are some snails that burrow in the sand but I forget the name ... :o

3. Right now I'm using Seachem Flourish brand of liquid ferts, NPK and fundamental pack. I only dose them when I do a water change once a week. Is this good enough? My plants don't seem to be complaning.if it is working then leave be, the plants will soon tell you. If you use the lights from the reef system you may have problems as most likely they will be much more powerful.

4. Since my 180 is reef ready what would be the better option? Keeping the sump or closing the drains and using two canister filters on either end? I'd use the sump.

Should I use my vortech mp40w on the freshwater tank for circulation? shouldn't be necessary.

Lytehouse
09-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Looks like what you are doing is working fine. The 180 RR with sump would look awesome later if you decide you want more fish. Several people here are using RR tanks with sumps. Just like in salt, sumps allow a place to hide heaters and filtration rather than have it in the main tank. It also allows for media exchange, a place for water tests and...... well you know the drill.

Best of luck.

Bye the way, tank and fish look great.

poconoboss
10-14-2009, 11:45 PM
cool, my tanks are much warmer 86 and every time I tried to keep tetras they kept disappearing. Water temp killed them or they ended up as Hors D' Oveurs :D

I keep my temp at 84.5 and my rummy nose tetras do quite well. Perhaps the cardinals or neon tetras are small enough to be snacks.