PDA

View Full Version : will amonia cause discus to loose the red in the eyes?

Cooldadddyfunk286
09-21-2009, 11:59 AM
simple question really, theres some trace amonia in my tank while it is cycling, will be gone soon. but since then the red discus eyes have turned kinda faint yellow/white iris instead of bright red. they are all acting normal, only thing is the red has faded from the eyes. looks like how it looks when they are fast asleep. but its all day.

thanks guys!

joanr
09-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Jason, dang, throw some Prime in there and get the ammo out! Don't think it's permanent, but not sure. Really haven't had any fish react to just traces of anything. You could run out and get the ammo-lock layer for the AC if you don't want to add the Prime or Amquel +

Eddie
09-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Anything affecting the fish negatively will affect the eyes Jason, Just stay on top of the water changes and use Prime as Joan mentioned. ;)

Take care,

Eddie

brewmaster15
09-21-2009, 07:58 PM
simple question really, theres some trace amonia in my tank while it is cycling, will be gone soon. but since then the red discus eyes have turned kinda faint yellow/white iris instead of bright red. they are all acting normal, only thing is the red has faded from the eyes. looks like how it looks when they are fast asleep. but its all day.

thanks guys!

Jason,

Watch your nitrites... if you are cycling a tank with discus in it and you get ammonia.....you'll probably also get nitrites..

Nitrites are absorbed by the fish and oxidizes the fishes hemoglobin to methemoglobin... (bad) Not sure how that would affect the blood vessels of the eye... but it may be a warning sign.

You can help prevent the nitrite uptake(if its an issue) by using salt...1-2 tablespoons per 10 gals table salt should be adequate.

hth,
al

joanr
09-21-2009, 08:25 PM
He's probably going to see traces of both Ammo + Nitrites for a few days since he is using the Fritz-Zyme Turbo 700 to speed cycle the tank. I'm wondering if locking up the ammo would be a good idea or would it stop the turbo cycle. I think I'd do several small w/c's over the next 48 hrs adding back some turbo 700 each time but bringing down the ammo & nitrite to zero with each change until the bacteria kicks in fully.

j_li8
09-21-2009, 11:00 PM
What strain are they? It may just be the way your discus are? I don't really know. From my personal experience, I don't believe the red iris is affected. At one point beginning this year, I didnt do a w/c for over a month due to school and other things and they still came up to the front looking for food and their eyes still had a red iris. Granted their growth was affected by the high ammonia and nitrate levels and what not, but the iris remained red. Extra and/or larger w/c's would probably be the best thing. If it doesnt change/improve in a few days or before the amonia disappears then it may be something else.

poconogal
09-22-2009, 08:29 AM
He's probably going to see traces of both Ammo + Nitrites for a few days since he is using the Fritz-Zyme Turbo 700 to speed cycle the tank. I'm wondering if locking up the ammo would be a good idea or would it stop the turbo cycle. I think I'd do several small w/c's over the next 48 hrs adding back some turbo 700 each time but bringing down the ammo & nitrite to zero with each change until the bacteria kicks in fully.

If Jason uses Prime, Prime detoxifies ammonia but it is still available for use by the biofilter, only in the non-toxic form, so there shouldn't be anything interfering with the cycle. Don't know about other products though.

Cooldadddyfunk286
09-22-2009, 10:21 AM
its all good guys, i have been using salt. but the tank is almost already fully cycled. eyes have gone back to red. ammonia reading almost to zero-ish. using fritz zyme turbo start 700. trying to stay ontop of WCs, feed light, and at the same time, trying not to remove the bio in the water. i dont know how long it takes that product to cycle thru my AC110. my sponges that i ordered wont be in for a few days. I know that the turbo start stick riiight to a sponge filter. but its working nicely. should be fully cycled in 2-3 days tops.

thanks for all the advice guys and gals! :D

take care! have a great day everybody!