PDA

View Full Version : WTB- Large Air Pump

KMX
09-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Im looking for a air pump that will run 100+ lines. Thanks!

obsessed
09-21-2009, 10:12 PM
Where do you live? I have one in Colorado

KMX
09-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Im in Mansfield Tx just south of DFW. But I can always pay shipping.

obsessed
09-22-2009, 03:18 PM
i'll reply the exact info tonight

KMX
09-22-2009, 04:18 PM
i'll reply the exact info tonight

Thanks boss.

Chad Hughes
09-22-2009, 04:44 PM
You need a blower,not an air pump. If you are looking for something new, check out Jehmco. Great place and awesome customer service. For a used blower, check out Ebay or maybe someone will chime in that has one?

Best wishes!

KMX
09-22-2009, 06:22 PM
You need a blower,not an air pump. If you are looking for something new, check out Jehmco. Great place and awesome customer service. For a used blower, check out Ebay or maybe someone will chime in that has one?

Best wishes!

Im looking for either or. It dose not have to be new. I order from Jehmco. all the time and Kensfish. I was wanting to try the fish forums 1st b/c they tend to be a little cheaper.

Chad Hughes
09-22-2009, 06:23 PM
Good call! There are definately some good things to be had here on the forum. Maybe one of the sponsors will chime in with something that they have "extra" lying around?

Good luck to you!

Dkarc@Aol.com
09-22-2009, 07:20 PM
If you can give me some specific info on your air system I could give you a minimum sized pump/blower necessary. Number of outlets (including any future/misc uses), deepest tank, outlet end point (sponge filter, air stone, etc). Also if you already have it in place, give me your plumbing specifics as well....pipe ID, total length, highest point, etc. The more specific you can be the better.

Like Chad stated earlier you may need a blower for your application, but it really depends on the pressures you need to power all the tanks/devices you have on the system.

-Ryan

KMX
09-22-2009, 08:04 PM
If you can give me some specific info on your air system I could give you a minimum sized pump/blower necessary. Number of outlets (including any future/misc uses), deepest tank, outlet end point (sponge filter, air stone, etc). Also if you already have it in place, give me your plumbing specifics as well....pipe ID, total length, highest point, etc. The more specific you can be the better.

Like Chad stated earlier you may need a blower for your application, but it really depends on the pressures you need to power all the tanks/devices you have on the system.

-Ryan

I have 25 tanks im running now and im going to be doing some expanding soon. So I want to be prepared if I go crazy and get around 80 tanks or more. I have a small air pump that is black and grey with no manufacture name on it. I bought it used off another forum. Works great! Just know I need something bigger. It's 885 GPH and it's max air pressure is 3.9 PSI.

I have all spoonge filters. My deepest tank that I will be running on this line is 22" which is my 115G. Most of my tanks are 10G 20L and 55G. My fish room is 22x22 but my tanks do not go all away around. (yet)

Thanks for your help.

Dkarc@Aol.com
09-22-2009, 09:03 PM
I have 25 tanks im running now and im going to be doing some expanding soon. So I want to be prepared if I go crazy and get around 80 tanks or more. I have a small air pump that is black and grey with no manufacture name on it. I bought it used off another forum. Works great! Just know I need something bigger. It's 885 GPH and it's max air pressure is 3.9 PSI.

I have all spoonge filters. My deepest tank that I will be running on this line is 22" which is my 115G. Most of my tanks are 10G 20L and 55G. My fish room is 22x22 but my tanks do not go all away around. (yet)

Thanks for your help.

Ok, so lets say you need 120 outlets (future expansion plus some extra for whatever). 120 outlets is also assuming 1 outlet per tank. 120 outlets x 0.15cfm (flow rate required for sponge filter)= 18cfm. So now we have a required flow rate, next we need to find how much pressure we'll need to push that air down into the tank.

Your deepest tank is 22", which is just under the 1psi make (lets call it 1psi even). 1psi is what's required to push the air down into the water, but we also need to take into consideration piping restrictions that you may have. I dont know your pipe size or what your future piping plans are. Im going to assume 1" as that is a fairly standard size. A 1" air line flowing 18cfm will have a restriction loss of around 1/2-3/4 psi per100' of piping. That much restriction could bump you up to the next larger sized blower/pump as you would now have to size your system to push a minimum of 1.5psi. To fix this just go up another pipe size to reduce this restriction. A 1.5" pipe has less than 0.10psi restriction for the same flow rate. If you have the ability, I would increase your pipe size. Not only does this mean you'll need a smaller blower/pump but it will also help keep the motor running cooler and longer, which of course means longer usable life. You could use a 1" pipe with no problems, but you would have more flow if you went to a larger piping system (given the same sized blower/pump).

Also keep in mind that every fitting that is on the air system will increase the frictional loss as well....granted it may be a minor loss, but if the system is complex and has a lot of fittings (especially 90's) it can add up. To overcome this, add a little bit to the overall psi requirements. Lets shoot for around 1.25psi (assuming 1.5" piping is used).

Ok, so now we have the flow rate necessary and the psi required to move the air through the piping system and down into the water. Now we need to find what will work best for you....a blower or a pump? Well at 18cfm you are well into the range of a blower. Below you will find a link to Aquatic Eco System's popular line of Sweetwater blowers:
http://www.aquaticeco.com/images/static/pump-curves/S11.gif
This is a performance chart. It basically tells you that a given blower will flow X cfm at a Y restriction. To make a little easier, 1psi equals roughly 27" of water. So at 27" of water restriction, the S-21 blower will flow right around 18-20cfm. The blower is 1/3HP, but dont go out and buy a cheaper model blower based on the HP rating alone. You must look at it's performance chart to properly size a system. Now you could get away with a smaller 1/4HP blower (S-11) as you may have an entire setup filled with 10 gal tanks and only the larger 22" deep tank, thereby reducing your overall requirement....there are lots of variable to consider when sizing equipment.

All the written above is based on assumptions and are in no way 100% accurate to your system due to various factors (blower might be 50' away for example, or you have a million 90's plumbed in). It is more or less written so you can figure out how to size a blower for yourself and determine what you truely need.

-Ryan

obsessed
09-22-2009, 09:22 PM
I have a used Spencer vortex blower VB002S i'll sell for $150. i bought it 10 years ago for more and never used it because its too powerful and 17 tanks is all i could ever muster!

it is 19.4 cfm (600 liters) pressure 17.7" H2O... MAX 31" H2O.....

I have no idea what this means...
once i put the hose in a full 5 gallon bucket that was immediately empty....

Paul

KMX
09-22-2009, 10:58 PM
Wow Dk I really appreciate your help but I have no clue what all the means.

:undecided: