PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Soh feeding quote

Ibanez540r
09-22-2009, 02:44 AM
So I came across the following paragraph in an Andrew Soh article. I find it very interesting and curious what other opinions are on this and why it may be true?

"Though the number of feedings per day has a direct relationship with growth, the wider the span of feed, the faster will your discus grow. In simple terms, a discus fed 1 gram per feed and fed 3 times a day at 6:00am, 3:00pm and 10:00pm will grow faster than a discus fed 1 gram per feeding and fed 3 times a day at 8:00am 12:00 noon and 5:00pm."

brewmaster15
09-22-2009, 07:17 AM
I'm sure Andrew has based this on his observations and research so I can't add much to it except to say that it makes sense to me..simply from the point of view that by allowing the fish more time between meals it has more a chance to extract all the nutrients from the food by maximizing food transit times thru the digestive track.,,,at the end of the day it still got 3 meals...but got more nutrition out of it.

hth,
al

Dkarc@Aol.com
09-22-2009, 07:32 AM
By spreading out the meals as far apart as possible you give the fishes body the most time possible for it to use all the nutrients of the food. Those who feed more than 3-4x per day (power feeding) may actually be working against the fishes body by forcing the food out of the body at a faster rate and not letting them absorb everything they need. They may use the amino acids and fats, but not get all the vitamins or minerals for example (lots of variables to that example however).

-Ryan

poconogal
09-22-2009, 08:11 AM
I have a friend who feeds 3 times a day, but with longer intervals between feedings as Andrew said, and she does 3 WCs per week of about 50% each time. Her Discus grow large, 7-8 inches TL, with not a stunted one in the bunch. So it seems that the excessive power feedings and WCs are not really necessary to obtain good growth and healthy Discus.

RD.
09-22-2009, 09:44 AM
What Ryan said.

Also, in the first time-frame the fish are going a max of 8 hrs between feeding (overnight), in the second example they are going 15 hrs without food. Obviously the former schedule will ensure more optimum growth in a juvenile fish.

discus_newbie
09-22-2009, 09:54 AM
I have a friend who feeds 3 times a day, but with longer intervals between feedings as Andrew said, and she does 3 WCs per week of about 50% each time. Her Discus grow large, 7-8 inches TL, with not a stunted one in the bunch. So it seems that the excessive power feedings and WCs are not really necessary to obtain good growth and healthy Discus.

Wow are you serious !! Did she grow them from juvies? I might try that.

Chad Hughes
09-22-2009, 11:12 AM
This is my exact feeding routine! :D

Check out my challenge fish!

Best wishes!

poconogal
09-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Wow are you serious !! Did she grow them from juvies? I might try that.
I'm serious, that is what she does, and she grew some from juvie, and some from sub-adult. All grew well. She has a 90 gal. tank and makes RO water, so I know that she can't do more than 50% WC at a time because she can't make enough RO to do more (plus I know how many WCs she does). It works for her, but remember, stocking plays a part in how much water should be changed too, what works for one person may not work for another as far as that goes.

Eddie
09-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Don't forget to check out the other Challenger's fish as well. ;)

Not only dependent on time, but the amount plays just as an important role. Frequent small meals will give the same results as seen in the Discus Challenge fish. ;)

Eddie

Chad Hughes
09-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Don't forget to check out the other Challenger's fish as well. ;)

Not only dependent on time, but the amount plays just as an important role. Frequent small meals will give the same results as seen in the Discus Challenge fish. ;)

Eddie

Eddie,

Exactly. Both work very well. Growth amongst the contest fish is virtually identical. IMHO feeding heavily multiple times a day inhibits the ability to maintain excellent water quailty without having to perform heavy water changes. Those that feed numerous times daily are also changing large amounts of water daily. Bottom line, feed less, change less water less often, and get the same healthy fish with equal growth. Proof is in the posts! :D

I also have some Albino fry from Bill at IED and they were about 1.5" when purchased. Way smaller than the contest fish. In 5 weeks, they have easily put on 1" to 1.5" of growth utilizing the same methods. Beautiful colors and FAT!! These fish are in a low tech, bare bottom tank. Three feedings daily, 10% water change once daily before bed to remove waste and what very little uneaten food is in the tank. I replace 80% of the water weekly, usually on the weekends. Sponge filter only. That's it.

I like to work smarter, not harder. I also feel that my BH mix plays a big part in the nutrition required to get this kind of growth. Enjoy the rest of your trip! Whos taking care of the fish?

Best wishes!

Eddie
09-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Definitely Chad, a good mix is half the battle! ;)

My fish are taking care of themselves! LOL Just another couple days and I'll be home so not worried. ;)

Later bro

Eddie

Chad Hughes
09-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Definitely Chad, a good mix is half the battle! ;)

My fish are taking care of themselves! LOL Just another couple days and I'll be home so not worried. ;)

Later bro

Eddie

Oh, there you are! LOL! Yes, the mix has to have everything they need. Not just heart. :p

Have a safe trip back! It's a long one! UGH!

Take it easy brother!!

Eddie
09-22-2009, 05:01 PM
Oh, there you are! LOL! Yes, the mix has to have everything they need. Not just heart. :p

Have a safe trip back! It's a long one! UGH!

Take it easy brother!!

Thanks! And I know, especially when your traveling with a 10 year old and a 21 month old. Plus we have a 12 hour layover at SEATAC :(

Late

Eddie

Chad Hughes
09-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks! And I know, especially when your traveling with a 10 year old and a 21 month old. Plus we have a 12 hour layover at SEATAC :(

Late

Eddie

Holy crap! You're not flying commercial? Ouch! When I was active duty I refused to fly AMC for that very reason, especially on a leave status. You never knew when you were going to get anywhere. LOL! Sorry to hear about the long flight AND the layover AND the kids. :o You'll need another vacation after this one just to recover!

Safe travels!

Scribbles
09-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Interesting point about fewer feedings. When I fed 3 times a day my discus did not grow very well. Those were lfs discus though. With my next juvies I think that I will set up 2 tanks and feed one 3 times per day and the other 8 times per day and compare.

Chris

Scribbles
09-22-2009, 10:38 PM

Late

Eddie

Hey Eddie, I'm only about 40 minutes from Seatac if you want to come over and sit back and relax. Let the kids play a bit.

Chris

Eddie
09-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Hey Eddie, I'm only about 40 minutes from Seatac if you want to come over and sit back and relax. Let the kids play a bit.

Chris

Wow, thanks for the offer Chris. It shouldn't be too tough, since the USO has a pretty decent set-up there at SEATAC. ;)

Take care,

Eddie