PDA

View Full Version : male or female

bcboy22
09-22-2009, 05:55 PM
hi guys need a help i have a 2 pair discus
They have paired off and have had eggs many times.

The question is, how do I know if they are 4 females?

Ibanez540r
09-22-2009, 06:10 PM
Try to catch them when they are spawining. Prior to, they will begin to peck an area clean. Once they start the female will make passes with her egg tube out laying eggs. The male should follow shimmering over the eggs fertilizing them. If something else is going on, you might have problems.

There are other physical characteristics but no one can say for sure 100%. All my males do seem to have the fin streamer though.. I'm sure others will chime in.

Jason K.
09-22-2009, 07:06 PM
sorry can't be of any assistance about the gender of your fish. i just could not get over the simularities of your fish to some of mine, could you please list strain types for me? particularly the orange one. bought mine as a red scarlet, is this correct?

Eddie
09-23-2009, 05:08 PM
Just guessing with my non educated eye.

F, F, M, F, M

;)

Eddie

bcboy22
09-24-2009, 04:44 PM
bought mine at 2 inch as red alenquer, gold marlbor. red turquois. and rose red

mikel
09-24-2009, 05:32 PM
I dont know all that much, but given what I have....I agree with Eddie about the third and the last (from left to right) as males. They just look male to me. The rest not sure. mike:)

mmorris
09-24-2009, 05:34 PM
No. 5 looks like a male and No. 4 looks like a female but the best method is to toss a coin. The results will be about as good as our guesses. :D

Armandi_Fishcarer
09-26-2009, 04:43 AM
I'm going with Eddie on this 1. F,F,M,F,M :D

Regards
Ahmed ;)

Darrell Ward
09-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Try to catch them when they are spawining. Prior to, they will begin to peck an area clean. Once they start the female will make passes with her egg tube out laying eggs. The male should follow shimmering over the eggs fertilizing them. If something else is going on, you might have problems.

There are other physical characteristics but no one can say for sure 100%. All my males do seem to have the fin streamer though.. I'm sure others will chime in.

I have found that most of my mature males also have "streamers", particularly the barred strains. Seems that the only way to be sure is when they pair up and spawn.