i need all other equipment

i need to properly cycle

and what proper parameters are

ph and acidity etc.

thanks
barney

discus#1
09-25-2009, 12:05 AM
Re:How do I set up my first discus tank?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would also suggest adding some large air driven bio-foam filters. Just for the added biological bacteria to settel in. Set them at the opposite end, away from the Emperor. This will increase the water circulation, eliminate any ''dead spots'' and increase the oxygen. Every bit helps.

what is air driven bio foam filter????

seasiderick
09-25-2009, 12:34 AM
Re:How do I set up my first discus tank?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would also suggest adding some large air driven bio-foam filters. Just for the added biological bacteria to settel in. Set them at the opposite end, away from the Emperor. This will increase the water circulation, eliminate any ''dead spots'' and increase the oxygen. Every bit helps.

what is air driven bio foam filter????
sponge filter go to ebay or fosters and smith all the best Rick

mmorris
09-25-2009, 02:32 PM
hello folk
ok heres a newbie questions.

how do you properly setup a tank for discuses

i have 55 plex and heater

i need all other equipment

i need to properly cycle

and what proper parameters are

ph and acidity etc.

How many watts is the heater? If you are buying your discus from a reliable breeder/importer, and I hope you are, you might ask if you can buy a cycled sponge at the same time. You will need to buy the stem of the sponge filter and an air pump though. I use canister filters or hob (hang-on-back) filters in addition. I recommend you buy test kits for nitrite, ammonia, nitrate and ph. They are indespensible. Test the ph of your water out of the tap. Discus can live in a wide range of ph's. You may need to age your water if your ph varies much after sitting with aeration for 24 hours. I also recommend you start going through the stickies in this section of the forum. You'll find a lot of useful information there.

Chad Hughes
09-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Here is a very good link by Carole Roberts that might help you out.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=28937

Hope that helps!

plark
09-28-2009, 02:16 AM
www.jehmco.com for sponge filters, I just got mine in the mail, paid like 20$ (including shipping) for 2 number 4 size and they are awesome, comes with everything I just put my airstone inside and let it do its thing..... awesome