PDA

View Full Version : question on my discus

shd17
09-25-2009, 01:10 AM
Here are a few of my discus. I was wondering if any these looks stunted to you guys. They are about 3-3.5" (I think). Also, the 2 brownish ones supposedly come from eruption parents but they still don't have very many spots. Is this normal at this size or are mine is just low quality? Thanks.

philip69285
09-25-2009, 02:00 AM
Im not really good with identifying stunted discus via a picture but I just have to say those "brown" discus are very pretty... def not eruptions at all but still very nice looking.

Eddie
09-25-2009, 03:26 AM
They all look like they have some growtential, so feed them well and clean water every day, they'll bloom into beautys.

All the best,

Eddie

cosmodude12
09-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Yeah, they certainly have potential.

TLC..TLC..

DiscusKeeper403
09-28-2009, 05:46 PM
They look alright, I think the one in the last photo definitley still has potential. Some of them look a little oddly shaped IMO. How often do you feed and what? How often do you do water changes?

shd17
09-28-2009, 06:33 PM
They look alright, I think the one in the last photo definitley still has potential. Some of them look a little oddly shaped IMO. How often do you feed and what? How often do you do water changes?

I feed them 5 times a day with fbw, fbs, tetra bits, and flakes. I try to do daily water changes if I have time but if not, then at least every other day. Which ones look odd to you?

rickztahone
09-29-2009, 01:15 AM
I feed them 5 times a day with fbw, fbs, tetra bits, and flakes. I try to do daily water changes if I have time but if not, then at least every other day. Which ones look odd to you?

i would have to say that most of them look beaky to me. usually at such a small size they have the type of shape and grow out of it, it depends on stock quality really. if you keep with the frequent feeding and frequent WC's you should be fine unless they did not come from good stock. I agree that the last one seems to have the best potential.

mmorris
09-29-2009, 06:54 PM
I think they all have potential for a good size. The shape isn't what I would look for - like Rick said, beaky. Quality discus aren't beaky at any age.

tcyiu
09-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Sorry for the stupid question, but what is "beaky?" Do you mean too much of a point at just the mouth? Or does it also include a triangular shaped forehead and chin?

Tim

Eddie
09-29-2009, 11:58 PM
Sorry for the stupid question, but what is "beaky?" Do you mean too much of a point at just the mouth? Or does it also include a triangular shaped forehead and chin?

Tim

Both

tdiscusman
09-30-2009, 11:28 AM
I think they all have potential for a good size. The shape isn't what I would look for - like Rick said, beaky. Quality discus aren't beaky at any age.

I think all of them have good potential too. the 4th and the 5th have the best potential and 1 - 3, it's difficult to tell because they don't have their fins fully extended, this maybe the reason why it looked beaky to some.

Tony

Jhhnn
09-30-2009, 08:35 PM
People get so accustomed to seeing high bodied domestic strains that they forget that normal-bodied fish look pretty much like yours in terms of shape.

The 2 brownish fish look like alenquers, to me, but I'm no expert. Just take good care of 'em, see what they look like when fully grown... They all look healthy, and that's the most important part of it all...

tcyiu
09-30-2009, 10:39 PM
Is it also a case of an indented chin - so the mouth overhangs?

From the pictures, it appears that 5 has the best profile with a strong chin. Would this one still be considered "beaky?"

Tim

Jhhnn
10-01-2009, 12:46 AM
Coming back to this tread, it seems to me that the brown fish must have some snakeskin ancestry, because they have 14 bars... they just don't have a lot of color, other than brown.