PDA

View Full Version : water change/scattered fry

Eddie
09-25-2009, 06:37 PM
I have free swimming albino fry in my tank but they have not attached to the parents and they are everywhere! How in the hell am I supposed to do a water change without losing any fry? Thanks

Eddie

Inland Empire Discus
09-25-2009, 06:44 PM
You don't not till after they attach. Which is why you do not feed them until the 2nd day after free swimming so the water is somewhat clean. Once they attach then you can do a water change but only about 50% then slowly increase it once they get use to you doing water changes.

Eddie
09-25-2009, 06:48 PM
You don't not till after they attach. Which is why you do not feed them until the 2nd day after free swimming so the water is somewhat clean. Once they attach then you can do a water change but only about 50% then slowly increase it once they get use to you doing water changes.

Thanks Bill!!

Here is the hard part....the fish have been in the same water for 2 weeks with no water change and no biofiltration due to someone unplugging the filter. This may have been the cause of them actually having fry though. :o The water quality is probably shot. :( I also lowered the water level yesterday, just before the fry went free swimming so that may have made matters worse but I am trying to get the fry to attach. :o

Thanks again,

Eddie

joanr
09-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Clean debris from bottom with little shrimp brine net carefully. Then drain water with small siphon hose with tiny mesh weave stocking on the end ( pantyhose will do, or filter bag material), you may need to manually start the siphon, lips to hose, let it drain very slowly, and fill slowly. Turn off any movement in the tank during this. Has either parent got dark with extra feeding slime coat? Do the light trick, it really works. Have fun, don't get too upset if you scoop a fry by accident, the good of the many in this case.

Inland Empire Discus
09-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Are the fry at the surface? If so you can add water to the tank then use a small hose and syphon it off the bottom.

Eddie
09-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Clean debris from bottom with little shrimp brine net carefully. Then drain water with small siphon hose with tiny mesh weave stocking on the end ( pantyhose will do, or filter bag material), you may need to manually start the siphon, lips to hose, let it drain very slowly, and fill slowly. Turn off any movement in the tank during this. Has either parent got dark with extra feeding slime coat? Do the light trick, it really works. Have fun, don't get too upset if you scoop a fry by accident, the good of the many in this case.

Thanks Joan, unfortunately the fish are Albino so they won't be getting dark. :o I might try the net thing but the fry will get in the net as there are alot on the bottom.

Are the fry at the surface? If so you can add water to the tank then use a small hose and syphon it off the bottom.

Thanks Bill, they are everywhere except on the parents, LOL. There are alot on the bottom that seem to be going after all the debris and there are some free swimming around, some at the top in small bunches. I was thinking of using an airline tube and draining really carefully. It might take me all day but not sure of any other way. :(

Eddie

Inland Empire Discus
09-25-2009, 07:10 PM
You could try what I do sometimes. Just syphon out the water into a white bucket. You will be able to see the babies in the white bucket then use a turkey baster to suck them back up an put them back in the tank.

joanr
09-25-2009, 07:16 PM
I was thinking of using an airline tube and draining really carefully. It might take me all day but not sure of any other way. :(
Eddie

Yep, that's the only choice you have right now. I'm sure you can gently nudge the debris and they might just swim off in another direction, then get that batch of poo and just work your way around the tank. I used to fan them back over to their parents when they strayed to the other side of the tank with a little BS net without damage to them. I've even heard of folks sucking them into a turkey baster or something similiar if they needed to be moved, although I never used that method myself. LOl. They are stronger than you think.

mmorris
09-25-2009, 07:18 PM
Good luck Eddie! You can use the turkey baster to fine-tune the feces removal. You can also attach a piece of nylon stocking with a rubber band to the end of a small hose and syphon out water that way.

joanr
09-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Yep, that's what I meant with the turkey baster, not for sucking up the fry, although folks do suck up the fry with one, but I'd be too chicken. But fry can be captured and moved temporarily for the water change Eddie, that may be something you'd feel better doing.

Elite Aquaria
09-25-2009, 07:48 PM
You could try what I do sometimes. Just syphon out the water into a white bucket. You will be able to see the babies in the white bucket then use a turkey baster to suck them back up an put them back in the tank.

That is exactly what I end up doing..

yim11
09-25-2009, 07:52 PM
I've even heard of folks sucking them into a turkey baster or something similiar if they needed to be moved, although I never used that method myself. LOl. They are stronger than you think.

That is exactly what I end up doing..

I've heard and read that moving the fry w/a turkey baster can injure or deform the fry...Dan or anyone - do you see this often when you use a baster?

Thanks,
-jim

Inland Empire Discus
09-25-2009, 08:10 PM
I've heard and read that moving the fry w/a turkey baster can injure or deform the fry...Dan or anyone - do you see this often when you use a baster?

I have never had that problem. Maybe if they are already 1-2 weeks old then there would be a problem but not when they are that small.

joanr
09-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Eddie, do have any idea how many days old the fry are? Best guess?

moik
09-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Sorry ,I may have posted some advice in the Photo gallery section for this thread

MostlyDiscus
09-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Eddie, Dont feed. Fish are fine as long as your water is clear. Dont feed. Dim the lights a bit too. I dont think the albinos see as well.

Ed

Eddie
09-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Oh GOSH!!! That was the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life! I lightly cleaned the bottom and netted all the debris (along with alot of fry). I drained half the tank with a small hose into a white 10 gallon tank I have and cleaned off the net in this tank. Then I spent the best part of an hour using a turkey baster to siphon up each individual fry. Talk about painstaking! At least the tank is cleaner the fry are swimming all around, and there is alot less black mess in the tank. The parents are cool too. I have the water level only to the top of the dorsal on the parents. I have a dim light over the tank so only the shadows of the parents can be seen. Hopefully the fry will attach by today or tomorrow or its all over and back to square one. :o

Thanks for all the help peoples!

Eddie

joanr
09-25-2009, 10:44 PM
I think we've all been there at one time or another Eddie, it's real hard but good experience. I remember reading about feeding fry Aquabiofood U if they don't attach, it's what they feed when doing artificial breeding, in the Berg Degan book, but don't know where you could get this stuff in quickly. Then Whattley had an egg yolk mixture, maybe someone here has some experience with these methods of saving the fry.

Eddie
09-25-2009, 10:48 PM
I think we've all been there at one time or another Eddie, it's real hard but good experience. I remember reading about feeding fry Aquabiofood U if they don't attach, it's what they feed when doing artificial breeding, in the Berg Degan book, but don't know where you could get this stuff in quickly. Then Whattley had an egg yolk mixture, maybe someone here has some experience with these methods of saving the fry.

Thanks Joan, I think I will stick it out and let these fish keep on trying. If these fry don't make it, I will be better prepared for the next batch. ;)

Take care,
Eddie

seasiderick
09-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Oh GOSH!!! That was the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life! I lightly cleaned the bottom and netted all the debris (along with alot of fry). I drained half the tank with a small hose into a white 10 gallon tank I have and cleaned off the net in this tank. Then I spent the best part of an hour using a turkey baster to siphon up each individual fry. Talk about painstaking! At least the tank is cleaner the fry are swimming all around, and there is alot less black mess in the tank. The parents are cool too. I have the water level only to the top of the dorsal on the parents. I have a dim light over the tank so only the shadows of the parents can be seen. Hopefully the fry will attach by today or tomorrow or its all over and back to square one. :o

Thanks for all the help peoples!

Eddie
I would maybe try some bbs it has worked for me in the past but I have not tried to breed albinos yet good luck and I hope it works out for you.Rick

Eddie
09-25-2009, 10:55 PM
I would maybe try some bbs it has worked for me in the past but I have not tried to breed albinos yet good luck and I hope it works out for you.Rick

Thanks Rick....I am just gonna hold out for now though. ;) I want the fry to attach whether they make it or not, I'll keep trying. :o

Take care,

Eddie

seasiderick
09-25-2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks Rick....I am just gonna hold out for now though. ;) I want the fry to attach whether they make it or not, I'll keep trying. :o

Take care,

Eddie

good luck i hope to see some great pics of those babies on the sides that would be cool.Rick

Eddie
09-25-2009, 11:17 PM
good luck i hope to see some great pics of those babies on the sides that would be cool.Rick

Thanks ME TOO!!! :D

Eddie