PDA

View Full Version : Watching our discus spawn right now!!!!

aussiefish
09-29-2009, 06:59 AM
We are watching our discuss spawn at this very moment in time. Female (Blue Turk) is laying eggs onto the side of the tank on the glass and the Male (Red Dragon) is fertilising them - we have a question though, are we supposed to see the fluid coming from the male or is it clear and unable to be seen????

The tank is a social tank and we understand they may not hatch but if they do, how many days from now should we look to be able to see the fry????

Should we be doing anything else in preparation for the fry possibly hatching i.e. different food for parents, getting another tank ready, etc

Eddie
09-29-2009, 07:05 AM
I don't think you'll be seeing the males milt unless you have a GOOD eye.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=26679

Also, keep a dim light on the tank 24/7 for the parents to tend to the eggs.

Eddie

aussiefish
09-29-2009, 08:35 AM
Thanks Eddie for the link, most helpful. I have just had to make a divider in the tank as all the smaller fish are trying to eat the eggs, stupid me should have realised this straight away, we used to use samon roe to fish for them best bait in the world, also illegal in some countries !! I have covered part of the light so it is dim the other section of the tank is still fully llit will this be ok ??

Eddie
09-29-2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks Eddie for the link, most helpful. I have just had to make a divider in the tank as all the smaller fish are trying to eat the eggs, stupid me should have realised this straight away, we used to use samon roe to fish for them best bait in the world, also illegal in some countries !! I have covered part of the light so it is dim the other section of the tank is still fully llit will this be ok ??

Sure, but you'll probably not want full light on your tank 24/7, especially if its fairly bright. :o

Eddie

aussiefish
09-29-2009, 09:18 AM
The light comes on at midday and goes out at 10pm, we will be making this less shortly as we are coming up for summer soon and we have a lot of day light then. Our tank is for show so it has a gravel bottom, I have read this is bad, how do you think this will go

Eddie
09-29-2009, 09:25 AM
The light comes on at midday and goes out at 10pm, we will be making this less shortly as we are coming up for summer soon and we have a lot of day light then. Our tank is for show so it has a gravel bottom, I have read this is bad, how do you think this will go

Well, seeing as your tank is a community tank, there may not be much of a chance. Your best letting them do their thing and if they have wrigglers, you may think about moving them to their own breeding tank. All this in my opinion. You definitely want to make sure you have a proven pair and not 2 females. Or if the male is too young, he may not be doing all that "he needs to be doing". I wouldn't count on them raising fry in that tank but some have done it before. :o

Eddie

aussiefish
09-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Thanks again for you help Eddie, I will post again tomorrow about same time and let you know what has happened.

phat nguyen
09-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Hello there. Good luck with the spawn. Next time of catching them laying eggs, make sure to TURN OFF the filter/bio filter.The main reason is to keep the water very still....The result will be: The male sperm does not carry away nor dilute in the current and stay concentrated with the Eggs......The result: higher fertility rate.Give it a try.

Perry Nguyen :D

mmorris
09-29-2009, 06:50 PM
That's exciting news, Aussie! My best advice to you is to start reading through the threads in the breeding section. Lots to learn! :)

discusluvr818
09-30-2009, 12:39 AM
That is so asewome. Everyone is so helpful with advice on here. Good luck!!