PDA

View Full Version : Tank Lay out

akumastew
10-01-2009, 01:26 PM
I have an issue with my fish not being able to easily swim in front of of Eheim 2180 spray bar.

See the attached diagram.

Would the changes I put in the picture help? The idea behind it, is to allow a longer distance before the outlet water hits the side of the tank, thus slowing the overall current. Does that make sense?

Or can you see any other issues?

Currently I have the output set to half, so the fish can swim near the front of the tank without being caught in the current and pushed away.

There is a large piece of driftwood that is positioned half way between the front and back of tank. Could this be adding to the problem?

The spray bar is angled slightly up wards to break the water surface with the stream of water.

Cooldadddyfunk286
10-01-2009, 01:37 PM
good idea, what I do is just point the spraybar backward to shoot right at the tank wall its mounted on, it really helps with the current. it just kinda flows down the wall. give it a shot. diagram 2 looks good tho.

rickztahone
10-01-2009, 02:07 PM
nice diagram! i had my 2 spray bars like you currently have it and i put them on opposite ends like your proposed positioning and i've noticed that my flow isn't as good as it was when they were in the middle. to me it's a good thing because i need the food to stay in the foreground due to my wall division. having just one on one end might not be sufficient, or maybe it is :o...how big is your tank?

akumastew
10-01-2009, 02:15 PM
nice diagram! i had my 2 spray bars like you currently have it and i put them on opposite ends like your proposed positioning and i've noticed that my flow isn't as good as it was when they were in the middle. to me it's a good thing because i need the food to stay in the foreground due to my wall division. having just one on one end might not be sufficient, or maybe it is :o...how big is your tank?

125 gallon 6ft x 18" x 25".

I am hoping the penguin at the other end of the tank will keep the flow good at that end.

rickztahone
10-01-2009, 04:30 PM
125 gallon 6ft x 18" x 25".

I am hoping the penguin at the other end of the tank will keep the flow good at that end.

yeah i have the exact same tank as you and IME i feel like the two spray bars on both ends are not as effective as in the middle

akumastew
10-01-2009, 09:08 PM
yeah i have the exact same tank as you and IME i feel like the two spray bars on both ends are not as effective as in the middle

How did you get two spray bars? Just a T junction?

rickztahone
10-01-2009, 10:41 PM
How did you get two spray bars? Just a T junction?

sorry i must not have mentioned it but i have 2 xp3 filters. before i had the two spray bars horizontally at the rear of the tank that it looked like it was one whole spray bar. when i put them on different ends i noticed the flow wasn't as good.

akumastew
10-05-2009, 08:56 PM
I changed the layout this afternoon,

The fish are swimming around all over the tank now.

There still appears to be good circulation around the rest of the tank via the Penguin Powerhead, and the bubble wall at the back of the tank.

tcyiu
10-13-2009, 10:30 PM
good idea, what I do is just point the spraybar backward to shoot right at the tank wall its mounted on, it really helps with the current. it just kinda flows down the wall. give it a shot. diagram 2 looks good tho.

A slight twist on Jason's idea. I have a spray bar mounted just above the water line. It shoots down and slightly towards the wall. This creates a half bubble curtain and really aerates the water. Just a thought. If this works for you, you can remove the air pump - one more noisy appliance.

Tim