PDA

View Full Version : How to force pair.

jaykne
10-03-2009, 01:32 AM
I know people force pair disus all the time, but what is the best way to do this I have a proven male and female I put them in there own breeder tank, its been 2 days so far and the male just keeps beating up on her I don't know what I should do leave them togather longer or take them out, I am just worried about the female he won't stop she tries to hide behind the sponge filter and breeding cone but just non stop beating on her, any advice thanks, Larry

Eddie
10-03-2009, 01:45 AM
I know people force pair disus all the time, but what is the best way to do this I have a proven male and female I put them in there own breeder tank, its been 2 days so far and the male just keeps beating up on her I don't know what I should do leave them togather longer or take them out, I am just worried about the female he won't stop she tries to hide behind the sponge filter and breeding cone but just non stop beating on her, any advice thanks, Larry

Hey Larry, I thought you were getting out of the breeding area?

Eddie

Dutch dude
10-03-2009, 04:32 AM
Sounds to me like your male is ready to spawn but your female not. It hapened to me as well and I just seperated mom and dad. I did some extra water changes, feed more frozen and give the female some time to rest. After 3 to 4 day's her ripped fins were healed and she looked happy again and full of energy. I joined mom and dad. Dad started his picking again but mom gave him some impressive kicks back. After 2 day's of quareling they spawned. Right now they are in peace and today a small batch of abouth 70 wigglers should become free swimming.

I found 2 reasons why males harass females. One is if the male is ready to breed but the female not. The female needs more time and energy to produce the eggs. She also need more food and heavier food like beefheart and bloodworms. When she is healthy and full of energy she will stand the male and defend her selves. If she is weak she will be kicked all over the tank and possibly to death. This is not a Discus specific thing but I also witnessed this with Microgeophagus altispinaza (Bolivian ram=dwarf cichlid) that is also a shoaling fish. The other reason for a male to harass a female is when they become frustrated during brood care. Normally both parents work in shifts. One fans the eggs or later on feed the fry while the other rests or looks for food. Those shifts last around 5 minutes. One of my female discus refuses to turn over the shift and wants to take care of the eggs, wigglers or fry all the time. So the male starts pushing her, or even bite her in the flanks or belly until she turns over the shift to him. Sounds violent but basicaly the male protects her from losing to much energy.

When males start to rip appart fins of females, kick them all over the tank and the female doesn't fight back and basicaly start hiding, I think it is time to temporarily separate them (divider or other tank).

I have know idea if other people experienced the same. I'm new to breeding discus and this are my observations so far.

jaykne
10-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Ya but I found someone in my area that is breeding and is showing me some really easy way to do water change and all that stuff, he raises Red Turquise has some very nice fish great color and shape and gets them huge. The ways he was showing me he does it I could do, and I really want to breed just trying to get a pair going that is non albino, they would be to much as I am sure you know by know Eddie. Ya we will see if I can get this male and female to spawn, Larry.

Hey Larry, I thought you were getting out of the breeding area?

Eddie

Eddie
10-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Ya but I found someone in my area that is breeding and is showing me some really easy way to do water change and all that stuff, he raises Red Turquise has some very nice fish great color and shape and gets them huge. The ways he was showing me he does it I could do, and I really want to breed just trying to get a pair going that is non albino, they would be to much as I am sure you know by know Eddie. Ya we will see if I can get this male and female to spawn, Larry.

Sounds great Larry and best of luck!

Eddie

jaykne
10-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the advice, she is in really good shape has not spawned yet really, when I first got her she did but on another pairs spawn LoL, and she was only 4.5" then so I got her in a different tank where she could grow out. The male has been spawning so thought I would try with her since she is non albino, so put her in the breeding tank with that male, he is not shaking at her or anything just wants to beat her up, ya have to seperate her for now and see what happens, Larry

Sounds to me like your male is ready to spawn but your female not. It hapened to me as well and I just seperated mom and dad. I did some extra water changes, feed more frozen and give the female some time to rest. After 3 to 4 day's her ripped fins were healed and she looked happy again and full of energy. I joined mom and dad. Dad started his picking again but mom gave him some impressive kicks back. After 2 day's of quareling they spawned. Right now they are in peace and today a small batch of abouth 70 wigglers should become free swimming.

I found 2 reasons why males harass females. One is if the male is ready to breed but the female not. The female needs more time and energy to produce the eggs. She also need more food and heavier food like beefheart and bloodworms. When she is healthy and full of energy she will stand the male and defend her selves. If she is weak she will be kicked all over the tank and possibly to death. This is not a Discus specific thing but I also witnessed this with Microgeophagus altispinaza (Bolivian ram=dwarf cichlid) that is also a shoaling fish. The other reason for a male to harass a female is when they become frustrated during brood care. Normally both parents work in shifts. One fans the eggs or later on feed the fry while the other rests or looks for food. Those shifts last around 5 minutes. One of my female discus refuses to turn over the shift and wants to take care of the eggs, wigglers or fry all the time. So the male starts pushing her, or even bite her in the flanks or belly until she turns over the shift to him. Sounds violent but basicaly the male protects her from losing to much energy.

When males start to rip appart fins of females, kick them all over the tank and the female doesn't fight back and basicaly start hiding, I think it is time to temporarily separate them (divider or other tank).

I have know idea if other people experienced the same. I'm new to breeding discus and this are my observations so far.